Dream Theater

wat

Reaction score
Man, I love "Home" :shrug:

Yep, I remember that song blowing my mind the first I heard it as a teen, especially the shreddy pre-chorus and the chorus. And especially Petrucci's lead and the final chorus that comes after. Just really powerful stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wat

Reaction score
Man, I love "Home" :shrug:

Yep, I remember that song blowing my mind the first I heard it as a teen, especially the shreddy pre-chorus and the chorus. And especially Petrucci's lead and the final chorus that comes after. Just really powerful stuff.

r33per

Reaction score
Ditto. I'd never heard anything like that album before. Loved the musical and lyrical motifs.

Also, playing that D Lydian section at the start of Overture 1928 through a cranked Mesa Triaxis & 2:90 always plants a smile on my face. Rockin':D:mf666:

Exchanger

Reaction score
I was mostly kidding. But, what else in the scores to the prequels was good? I can recall only blips of it. I mean, at least the romance theme in Attack of the Clones was pretty good compared to the movie (and "REY'S THEME" from Episode VII). And everyone likes to jizz all over Duel of the Fates for some reason. But I can't remember anything else from those three movies?

ROTJ is one of my favorite scores ever :p

There are so many nice themes and climaxes in the prequel ! Some invasion / battle scenes on Naboo, the pod race, the ones you mentionned, the city chase scene in Coruscant (because it's very exotic comapred to the rest), the opening scene to episode III, Grievous' themes, the final duel... ROTJ's sountrack has some awesome parts too (when the choirs come in as Luke gets fierce with the ligthsaber)...too bad that just like the movie itself it got spoiled by the darn ewoks. But I think I'd put ESB over it. All the variations on the Imperial theme, the search party for Luke, the final scenes on Bespin...so much dramatic tension. :rolleyes:

scrub

Reaction score

Absolutely. And the sitar (I think is a sitar sound?)/guitar unison section at the very end? The way it builds up? Man, that section still gives me goosebumps.

wat

Reaction score
Ditto. I'd never heard anything like that album before. Loved the musical and lyrical motifs.

Also, playing that D Lydian section at the start of Overture 1928 through a cranked Mesa Triaxis & 2:90 always plants a smile on my face. Rockin':D:mf666:

Yeah, SFAM was my introduction to dream theater as a teen and all those really powerful moments on that album like the choruses to home, Petrucci's leads in Overture 1928, etc, really floored me and I hadn't heard anything like that before and that was my favorite thin about that album.

The next album I got was "Awake" and I was actually disappointed at first because it was so different from SFAM. But then it didn't take me long to begin to adore Awake as well. Same with Images & Words and A change of seasons.

Last edited:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Doubt it's anything new to those who follow the band closely enough, but Mike Mangini might, maybe, perhaps, with crossed fingers, get a decent snare sound on the next record! :lol:

Even more interesting, he might actually have some creative input. I love the band, but the past three albums have been the JP and JR show.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Just noticed that Panic Attack is the most popular track of their on Spotify. It's a good song but not that good, imo. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I've been listening to Wither on repeat for a couple of days. Used to hate that song but now I love it. Surprised that it's not on the top-10 list since it's so radio-friendly.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Doubt it's anything new to those who follow the band closely enough, but Mike Mangini might, maybe, perhaps, with crossed fingers, get a decent snare sound on the next record! :lol:

Hmm, that riff he was recording there sounded pretty interesting, I hope there's plenty of that kind of vibe on the album. I just checked out the Rush cover they did a while ago - the mix on that was pretty much perfect, I hope the album will sound similar. Apart from the vocals though, especially the higher parts sounded very forced. It'd be great if they just let James sing a bit lower, as that clearly still works for him.

Last edited:

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I love Home too! I had to find and check it out to realize which song it was though, as I usually just listen to full albums without knowing which individual song is playing :)

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'm worried for the drums we'll have another album where they're either playing something fairly straightforward and basic during verses/ riffs, or then really technical and twiddlydiddly (can you tell I'm not a drummer?) on the bits where the guitars are doing the same. Portnoy was fantastic at introducing different rhythm shifts and surprising emphases into riffs and sections where most drummers would coast. Mangini, extraordinary player though he is, I don't feel he writes parts which add that interest to sections.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I'm worried for the drums we'll have another album where they're either playing something fairly straightforward and basic during verses/ riffs, or then really technical and twiddlydiddly (can you tell I'm not a drummer?) on the bits where the guitars are doing the same. Portnoy was fantastic at introducing different rhythm shifts and surprising emphases into riffs and sections where most drummers would coast. Mangini, extraordinary player though he is, I don't feel he writes parts which add that interest to sections.

I guess it depends on the songs a lot too. You can't do anything over anything if you know what I mean :) Also I guess Mangini hasn't had much creative input, so the drums are more likely to be composed by JP and are mostly just holding the compositions together. Fingers crossed he'll have at least some input this time around.

Reactions: fps

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
^

I know on a dramatic turn of events album it was written by JP. But assumed after that Mike was in the writing/creative process and would have come up with his own stuff for self titled and astonishing

Lukhas

Reaction score
^

I know on a dramatic turn of events album it was written by JP. But assumed after that Mike was in the writing/creative process and would have come up with his own stuff for self titled and astonishing
Nope, he wasn't. He has hinted or outright expressed his frustration about it in the past. "The Astonishing" is basically all JP with some Rudess, DT12 was meant to be a "summation" album that was taking things left and right from their whole career... although hardly anything on it could've been on their first records. :lol:

I think it was this interview, but I'm not sure.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
^ Oh really, well thats a shame. Interested to see what vibe the new album will be

')