Dream Theater

electriceye

Reaction score
Their last album was the final straw for me. It was appallingly bad. Like a Cirque du Soleil rejected soundtrack. If you want a great prog band, check out Teramaze instead.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I like it surprisingly a lot. Gives me a the vibe of octavarium mixed with train of thought.

I don't know that I'll be able to really get into their music again until they bring portnoy back, but that has less to do with the music than it does wanting my heroes back together again. Their self titled album was fantastic even without him and while I don't much care for the astonishing as a whole, I still respect them for trying it.

But then I listen to Awake and SFAM and I'm like "oh... Right"

fps

Kit
Reaction score

Even in that short clip, you can still hear how the drums are mirroring the riff rather than playing off it.

Drum sound still annoying.

Last edited:

Razerjack

Reaction score
Doesn't look/sound too promising or inspiring. Along with the fact that their next tour will be another '20th anniversary of classic album' tour, there are signs that DT is losing their creative drive and is instead banking on past success, which is okay if you're Def Leppard, but as an icon of 'progressive' metal it's painful to watch. Loved the self-titled album though.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Doesn't look/sound too promising or inspiring. Along with the fact that their next tour will be another '20th anniversary of classic album' tour, there are signs that DT is losing their creative drive and is instead banking on past success, which is okay if you're Def Leppard, but as an icon of 'progressive' metal it's painful to watch. Loved the self-titled album though.

I sort of get that vibe too. That said I would LOVE the chance to see the entirety of SFAM live.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Yeah, can't really say much about it after such a short clip, other than that they definitely have my attention at this point.

Last edited:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Judging a Dream Theater song from a 30 second clip seems silly.

This is the internet critic crew... it could have just been a track list and they would have critiqued the band based off of it and we would have gotten at least one post about Portnoy :lol:

Exchanger

Reaction score
I kinda like it but it's a bit short to do any pronostics about the whole album's writing.

I'm gonna disagree with the mix though, it's not bad, but it's still this weird sound they had from DT13 on.

A-Branger

Reaction score
but the question everyone is asking here

would JP 8 string?...... and would he djent?

and yeah I know they would never do fully dj0nt!! d-d-d-d-d-0nt!....... but I bet they would incorporate one riff at one point, closing the full circle of prog metal... and it would be awesome and you know it

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score

and yeah I know they would never do fully dj0nt!! d-d-d-d-d-0nt!....... but I bet they would incorporate one riff at one point, closing the full circle of prog metal... and it would be awesome and you know it
Would love to hear him do his own take on some of the cleanish dj0nting tosin abasi uses.

scrub

Reaction score
Petrucci "this is the best sounding DT album we've ever made". Blabbermouth article.

Xiphos68

Reaction score

Apparently he said in the past three to four years that he had been developing a EB MusicMan 8 string, though there have been no posts or anything regarding it in quite a while, sadly.

Then again, he was developing the Majesty forever too. Though I don't particularly care for it.

Anyway, new album is sounding sick, I am hoping they finally let Mangini contribute some writings. Glad the mix is finally fixed, because it has sucked for the past few albums with the exception of "The Astonishing," but as an album, that one is lacking massively.

')