Dream Theater

Avedas

Reaction score
I don't know why Petrucci would claim they all wanted the album to come out the way it did.
Probably because he's the smiling face with the most money in the game.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt 8771

Reaction score
Here's to hoping the next albums better.
Saw the astonishing live and It was very boring.

Also as far as vocals go, the shattered fortress shows with MP and haken were very nice and refreshing vocal wise.

Avedas

Reaction score
I imagine it must be disheartening to write a double album over 2 hours long just to have it received so poorly.

Lukhas

Reaction score
I imagine it must be disheartening to write a double album over 2 hours long just to have it received so poorly.
On the other hand Petrucci wrote what he really felt like writing so fair game to him.

wankerness

Reaction score
I still think it's a big step up from the last few. I don't know if the bad reaction is due to it being far less "riffy" and technical. I thought the melodies were far more memorable and that it worked as a bunch of songs a lot more than the big clonky riff collages they'd been having on the last few albums. Maybe that's not it at all and everyone would have been fine with the non-technical melody-driven album if it had different melodies, and I'm just the only one who finds it catchy, but this is still my guess!

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I still think it's a big step up from the last few. I don't know if the bad reaction is due to it being far less "riffy" and technical. I thought the melodies were far more memorable and that it worked as a bunch of songs a lot more than the big clonky riff collages they'd been having on the last few albums. Maybe that's not it at all and everyone would have been fine with the non-technical melody-driven album if it had different melodies, and I'm just the only one who finds it catchy, but this is still my guess!

I don't think the riffs and melodies are bad by any means, but they're mostly just too generic and cheesy, and there's way too much material to properly "scan" through to find the gems. There were a bunch of moments on the album where I thought "wow, that was awesome", but too few and far between to catch my attention for the whole duration.

Avedas

Reaction score
There are a lot of really good moments on the album and I like it enough for what it is, but whenever I listen to it I also feel like I'm skipping every other song due to it being 2 minutes of computer noises or yet another drawn out interlude with nothing going on. The cheese is a bit more prevalent than typical DT material but they stated the biggest issue in the lyrics: "People just don't have time for music anymore", which is what I'm thinking when I see a 130 minute album with maybe 40 minutes of actual content.

wankerness

Reaction score
Eh, I didn't notice it having that much filler. Then again, I've listened to Opeth - Heritage and Frances the Mute a bunch of times so anything feels more substantial :D

A-Branger

Reaction score
to put it in simple terms. If they grab the best songs out of the two albums and put them into only one. Then they could have had a pretty cool/great album.... Theres way too much filler songs

and common, just listen to the start of every song. 90% of them are slow piano intros, slow soapy songs... I get not every album has to be a metal or heavy, but they took the balance to the slow/piano/orchestra/pop/thing bit too far this time

The Mirror

Reaction score
I get not every album has to be a metal or heavy, but they took the balance to the slow/piano/orchestra/pop/thing bit too far this time

Give me an album opener like 6:00. It's not overtly heavy (though the guitar sound at the time was quite a change for DT), but it hit's you right from the beginning with the drum fill intro and just keeps going without ever feeling tedious.

They didn't even really wank that much before 6DoiT, it was more a coherence of melody lines from all the instruments combined, though that of course has much to do with the way KMoore wrote his parts.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
*relearn

I'd argue that up to and including ToT are fantastic. I've bought everything since then, but there hasn't been the same magic IMO.

Fair, some of the tracks off the first 4 albums really speak to me, but they definitely fall off after that

JSanta

Reaction score
Fair, some of the tracks off the first 4 albums really speak to me, but they definitely fall off after that

Scenes from a Memory is my favorite DT album, and probably in my top 5 favorites of all time .

The Mirror

Reaction score
Scenes from a Memory is my favorite DT album, and probably in my top 5 favorites of all time .

I agree that it is a quite great record, but it also really showed were DT were going with in the future.

The instrumental part in Home is downright annoying at times and the song would improve by a lot if it would simply be cut in half. Also the story concept is quite meh, yet at least it is a story and not the chumming up Young-Adult nonsense that is The Astonishing.

On the other hand they showed how to write great instrumental parts with The Dance of Eternity, which is constructed in a coherent way, without ever really being just note after note. It seems like every part makes a sense in the concept.

I am really torn on post KMoore DT and while I technically own every record of them (I even bought The Astonishing without ever even making it to the second CD) I find myself listening to I&W and (obviously, duh) Awake exclusively.

It might get quite controversial here, but I very much prefer Circus Maximus' Nine/Havoc to anything DT put out after Awake.

After The Fire is the best Prog Metal Song I've heard since Voices.

')