Dream Theaters new album!

• Thread starter Michael
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just bought "Octavarium" yesterday and I'm loveing it!! :hbang: There are some awesome solo's. :shred:

My favorite song would have to be "Panic Attack"! :bowdown: :shred:

What did you guy's think of it?? :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say Panic Attack is my favorite, too. Great song. These Walls is another good one.

All in all, a pretty good album, and Petrucci's tone and playing are the best I've heard.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
These Walls does, in fact, rock.

I think it's the most tasteful album they've done since Kevin Moore left the band. For the longest time I blamed DT's self-indulgence on Rudess replacing Moore, but honestly his keyboard and pedal steel plaing on this disc is right up there with Moore's work.

Panic Attack, along with a handful of others, is VERY Muse-influenced. If you're into that kind of thing, see if you can score a copy of "Origin of Symmetry," or their US debut, "Absolution."

smueske

Reaction score
I love the playing but absolutely hate the production. The drums, in particular, sound flat and dry. (Not trying to start a flame war -- just stating an opinion). Petrucci, as always, is a god...

Doctor J

I Don't Own An Ibanez 7!
Reaction score
I didn't like the new one at all. Contrary to most DT fans I know, I think Train Of Thought is their best work by a long, long way...

...Sorry, I'll get my coat :ugh:

Sleeper

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that someone else sees the comparison to Muse with this album. I couldn't believe how similar DT's Never Enough was to Muse's Stockholm Syndrome. That's not a bad thing incidentally :hbang:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Eh, I hated ToT, but I'm not exactly going to ban you for liking DT's nu-metal album... :fawk:

eviltoaster

Reaction score
i like 5DOIT and metropolis...octavarium mhmh "sacrificed sons" is the best song

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
I just wish they'd return more to a sound and style that was more about them then about who they've been listening to lately. I hate the fact that you can almost pinpoint who's been in their CD players by the songwriting on the current album.

I'm not saying that the rest of their catalog isn't impressive but my interest peaked during Awake. I just think that record is amazing from a songwriting standpoint and very honest. I keep waiting for them to record a great record and each time they release I'm disappointed.

They remind me a lot of a cover band I knew back in the early 90's. They made their bread as a traveling cover band that played the west coast from Washington to Cali. They were a great cover band. They covered all the 80's and early 90's stuff to perfection. They used the money they made to finance the recordings of their original material. The sad thing is they were so close to their influences because they played all the time that you could spin their disc and almost instantly guess which artist(s) had inspired the piece. It wasn't like they were ripping the bands off they were just too close.

I get the same feeling the last few years from DT. It almost feels premedated. "Okay guys let's do a Nu Metal CD!" or "You know I've been listening to Muse and U2 lately, check out this new riff I wrote."

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Don't forget recent Linkin Park. ;)

It's still their best "album" they've done in years, i feel, even if they're playing musical chairs, so to speak... But really, if you want to talk prog, I think OSI and Porcupine Tree are responsible for the better recent releases in the genre...

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Don't forget recent Linkin Park. ;)
God yes. It's the one thing about 'Oct...' I don't like AT ALL. Linkin Park. I personally think they fuckin' suck donkey balls (big, fat ones. Just my opinion, here. Now I'll tell ya what I really think :lol: )

But, DT doing LP's style of music? Well, DT can pull it off, in my estimation. So, end of the day, it may sound like LP, but I'll just consider (in my mind) LP to be a bad rip-off of current DT. And I end up liking the album, bada bing, bada bang. ;)

XIEmperorIX

\m/ Metal Dan \m/
Reaction score
eviltoaster said:
i like 5DOIT and metropolis...

I've never heard of 5DOIT but I have heard of 6DOIT :lol: (sorry I had to be the smartass) anyway...6DOIT was ok..picking a favorite DT album or song would be hard for me..but I really like Falling Into Inifinity and Awake

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Doctor J said:
I didn't like the new one at all. Contrary to most DT fans I know, I think Train Of Thought is their best work by a long, long way...

...Sorry, I'll get my coat :ugh:

I Like TOT The best also - so you are not alone

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Vegetta said:
I Like TOT The best also - so you are not alone

Same here, ToT is the best metal album ever made for me.

I can see why people say it's Nu-metal, but not really. At least, ToT is how Nu-Metal SHOULD be done. I love the kick-ass riffs, insane solos, prog interludes, and really melodic parts. ToT was my first DT album. When I heard it, I didn't think "Nu-metal". I thought, "whoa these guys are like a really heavy Yes".

Octavarium was a bit of a letdown... There isn't a whole lot in the way of guitar solos... :noplease: Otherwise, it's pretty good. Panic Attack rocks.

The sad thing is, I love These Walls, but the song would be 1000x better if the guitar solo was a bit longer and didn't end where it does.

Not enough shredding on that album :shred:

')