Drilling out tuner holes

• Thread starter DimMak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DimMak

Reaction score
I have a Allparts strat neck coming that appears to have 8mm holes, the Fender locking tuners I have coming have 10mm shafts I believe. I have watched some videos on youtube and I have a drill press (famous last words). Just wanted to check here to see if anyone has any good suggestions on how to go about this.

I have seen someone using a drill bit in reverse to keep the finish from being messed up
T handle reamer done by hand (probably gonna pass on this since I have a drill press)
Some other kind of reamer?

Some say the hole isn't the same diameter all the way through?

Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omzig

Reaction score
3rd vote for a reamer...there are a few issues with using a drill bit, first as you have 8mm holes already so there's no mass in the center for the brad to start on so the bit can wonder and second if the cutting side of the bit grabs the wood it will split 99.9% getee'ed into the next hole (been there done that..)

if you have a plam router/guide bit and template that would be my own pref method but that's expensive if you don't have the gear.

DimMak

Reaction score
So I found out the neck has 11/32" holes and that is the size of tuners. The guy who sold me the neck says I will still need to fit them with a taper reamer. I guess I'll have to wait until I have all the parts in hand to see whats what.

rokket2005

Reaction score
If you use the drill press use a backing board so you don't have tear out on the back of the headstock.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I have a Allparts strat neck coming that appears to have 8mm holes, the Fender locking tuners I have coming have 10mm shafts I believe. I have watched some videos on youtube and I have a drill press (famous last words). Just wanted to check here to see if anyone has any good suggestions on how to go about this.

I have seen someone using a drill bit in reverse to keep the finish from being messed up
T handle reamer done by hand (probably gonna pass on this since I have a drill press)
Some other kind of reamer?

Some say the hole isn't the same diameter all the way through?

Any suggestions?
With Gotoh tuners the shaft of the bottom of the tuner is 10mm, the top is 8mm. So when I installed them only reamed the bottom till the shaft went all the way through and left the top at 8mm.

Check the diameter of the top insert to see if that is 10mm too.

Schallers are 10mm all the way through so not an issue.

DimMak

Reaction score
I bought the Fender locking tuners. They also have 2 indexing pins per tuner, which the all parts neck is not drilled for. So I assume I will need to drill those. Maybe I'll make or find a jig.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I bought the Fender locking tuners. They also have 2 indexing pins per tuner, which the all parts neck is not drilled for. So I assume I will need to drill those. Maybe I'll make or find a jig.
Doesn't really matter if the have the index pins in the bottom, if the top is 8mm it will still bend around at the top where there is the most play.

Agricultural option is to press the index pins into the wood till it makes a dent and then progressively drill it out. I like it because you can line up the angle of the tuners first and make sure they are parallel.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
A reamer is the real answer, but I had to take a little over 1mm off the tuner holes on an Ibanez neck for my roommate and I opted to use a rat tail file and patience. File, check, file check, etc. It took me a couple hours but it did the job.

DimMak

Reaction score
Tuners and neck came. Both listed as 11/32 yet it seems I still need to do some fitting. I ordered a taper reamer. Do I start from the front or the back based on what you can see in these pics?

Attachments

• 20240306_011339.jpg
    20240306_011339.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240306_011328.jpg
    20240306_011328.jpg
    927.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240306_011316.jpg
    20240306_011316.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240306_011312.jpg
    20240306_011312.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Power Reamer. Just be careful not to start a dust fire.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1709733153129.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709733153129.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 9

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Tuners and neck came. Both listed as 11/32 yet it seems I still need to do some fitting. I ordered a taper reamer. Do I start from the front or the back based on what you can see in these pics?
Would start from the back but tape the top holes, the back tears will be covered by the tuner, the washer on top won't cover much. Maple sometimes just tears out.

What is the diameter of the top bush? See on the gotoh diagram bottom is 10mm, top is 8mm

381.JPG

eoinbmorg

Reaction score
I started at the back. At least with my tuners, the thicker bottom portion wasn't tall enough to reach all the way to the top so I didn't have to get the top to the same diameter. Ultimately, the guide pins and locking force of the top washer will help keep the tuner in the correct position. I also found that it was better to apply less pressure with the reamer. Most of the force should be rotational with just enough pressure down onto the reamer to get the blade edge to catch (versus trying to drive a screw, which is mostly downward pressure)

DimMak

Reaction score
Would start from the back but tape the top holes, the back tears will be covered by the tuner, the washer on top won't cover much. Maple sometimes just tears out.

What is the diameter of the top bush? See on the gotoh diagram bottom is 10mm, top is 8mm

View attachment 139851
The top bushing fits as is with out any reaming. Its the second part you have drawn an arrow to that is 10 that doesn't fit.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I always just get a little drill bit that already fits and rub it around for a bit like a file..Improper, but it's what I had on hand the first time I did it and feels super easy and safe haha