Drop A# on 24.5 scale?

• Thread starter TubeOrgasmer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TubeOrgasmer

Reaction score
I've got pretty huge GAS for a PRS Zach Myers SE lately, it seems to be everything I'd want at the moment. Mahogany body, maple top, dual humbuckers, individual volume and tone, Les Paul shape, fixed bridge, satin neck, beautiful finish, all good EXCEPT for the short scale. I'm playing in Drop A# mainly, and was wondering if it would be too muddy on a 24,5 scale. Swapping the pickups is an option and I'd do that anyway, but is there a scenario where this would work, or am I better of spending the money on a custom guitar with all of the above but with a longer scale neck?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yianni54

Reaction score
Problem is if you go custom with PRS your talking big money, thats Artist package stuff.

Ive never owned a PRS, played a Tremonti custom shop and a Custom 24 Floyd. Although they are nice guitars, I think there are custom shops out there that can giveyou what you want, still be great quality/playability, at less of price. Just my .02 cents.

TubeOrgasmer

Reaction score
Didn't mean going custom with PRS, just generally a custom build because I've seen little to no other companies offer something similar.
The price point is also a plus for this thing, as I can get it well under $1000 new.
Thanks for the reply any way!

CrazyDean

Reaction score
I don't think it will be that big of a deal. 25.5" is good down to about A so I wouldn't expect too much different for 24.5" at A#. However, a custom isn't something to be taken lightly. They are quite an investment. I wouldn't go that route until you exhaust all other options.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I've had my PRS SC245 in drop A# with 10-56 with no issues at all so the Zach Meyers should be fine. I think that was the guitar you had in the original topic

100 Ounce Jugs

Can't Help Djenting
Reaction score
The Schecter Damien Solo Elite is almost that whole wishlist. Add concentric vol/tone pots and you have the full list. Plus it's a 25.5 scale which you'll nail A# with easily.

jeremyb

Reaction score
Put humbucker sized P90's in it, seriously, and run thicker strings, I run a D'addario light baritone set on a 25.5" scale in Drop-A, 13-62, has same tension as 10-46 in standard tuning. Would be perfect for drop-A# on a 24.5 :)

monkeysuncle

Reaction score
I'd say just go for a LP/LP-esque guitar without breaking the bank. I've tuned that low and even lower on my LP Standard and never had an issue with the scale length. As far as pickups, I dont know what tones you're after, but cant go wrong with the classics (JB, Super Distortion, even stock Gibsons, etc.)

TubeOrgasmer

Reaction score
I've had my PRS SC245 in drop A# with 10-56 with no issues at all so the Zach Meyers should be fine. I think that was the guitar you had in the original topic

Yeah, I edited the title to better fit the problem but forgot to edit the post. Did the high strings have enough tension?

Put humbucker sized P90's in it, seriously, and run thicker strings, I run a D'addario light baritone set on a 25.5" scale in Drop-A, 13-62, has same tension as 10-46 in standard tuning. Would be perfect for drop-A# on a 24.5

A humbucker sized P90 will absolutely go in the neck, but I was thinking of something more aggressive in the bridge. A Warpig/Pig90 combo is something I've been wrapping my head around lately. Also I'm planning on running at least a D'Addario 12-60 set.

Good to know it would be doable, thanks for the input everyone!

redstone

Reaction score
Mahogany necks with serious downtunings are generally not a good start when aiming for clear distortions. I think the wood you'll get is more likely to be an issue than the scale length.

The warpig will probably go in the wrong direction, but you can't know before having the guitar. The nailbomb or black hawk could be a better choice.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Boris plays primarily in Drop A#/Bb on 24-3/4" scale. And I do, too. It does get kind of a tone to it, but I like it. I like that tone.

Idk, is Boris muddy? Am I muddy? I've never thought of it as sounding muddy, more of a growly sound. I'd say it probably has more to do with the pickups. But my SG sounds friggin rad with a JB in the bridge daddario C standard set.

Melvins play shorter scale tuned to drop A, and I think their tone is killer.

TubeOrgasmer

Reaction score
Yeah I know Mike Gallagher used Drop B and even A# on a 24.75 scale and I love his tone, so the verdict is that the extra quarter inch shorter wouldn't make that much of a difference, right?

Nailbombs were my second choice for pickups if I might add.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I would not play that guitar in that tuning, but you can tune the guitar however you want.

There are a lot of guitars available out there in different scale lengths to accommodate different lower tunings, so, I would simply ask if you are sure that there is not a guitar already in production to suit your needs.

FifthCircleSquared

Threadender
Reaction score
I had my 25" Carvin in Drop A# two nights ago, and it was fine. Intonation checked out across the fretboad. I used 12-56, FYI.

')