Drop A or Drop E?

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Hey guys, working on a new song, a few of you might have listened to parts of it in another thread in the drum forum, but now I have another question, does this song sound better in drop A or Drop E? The tones need work on both, but these are rough idea logs, not final mixes, just want your opinion what sounds better. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Work it out to have A sections and E sections? Both are good, and the E version is sick but some variety could be good for the rest of the song.

I would also vote for drop G, I've been mostly writing with that and really like it!

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
when you go into dropE, are you dropping the bass guitar too? If so, you must use an extended scale bass and have huge hands?

Or at that point just using the standard E pitch to go along with the death guitar?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
when you go into dropE, are you dropping the bass guitar too? If so, you must use an extended scale bass and have huge hands?

Or at that point just using the standard E pitch to go along with the death guitar?
Actually I tune my bass AEBE, so when I play drop A stuff the bottom two strings are drop A, and for Drop E the second two strings translate, so for the drop E part I'm actually tuning UP the last two strings a full step. The way the guitar is EQd allows them to not battle as much.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@CanserDYI the other thing I wanted to mention is I really like your guitar tones. Do you DI into software or use a Helix/AxeFx/other?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
@Crungy thanks man! It's all Helix and that dollar mesa IR pack from York. The drop A sections are my Kiesel with Lithiums and the Drop E sections are my RG8 with a pegasus in the bridge.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That dollar pack is easily one of the best dollars I've spent maybe ever? Again, sweet tones man.

')