Drop A String Gauge

• Thread starter Hendog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
I couldn't find a set that really worked for me across the board, ended up getting a Stringjoy custom set with 64 on the bottom and a wound 3rd. Sound-wise it's good but nothing special, but the feel is much closer to what I like.

I'm amazed that anyone can get good results out of less than 60+ on the 7th string. Granted, my touch is not light, but even with careful picking I see the tuning travel 20 cents or more. And that's with a 26.5" scale and not especially low action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Yup, nothing particularly tight about that still!
If we consider 36 standard for the 2nd A string in standard tuning, a 72 is needed for the same tension in drop A

Hendog

Reaction score
^ Yup, nothing particularly tight about that still!
If we consider 36 standard for the 2nd A string in standard tuning, a 72 is needed for the same tension in drop A

This ^ is why I started this thread. I can't find any 7 string sets that work for drop A (other than the La Bella strings that were mentioned in this thread and I have no experience with them).

MSS

Reaction score
Me either. That’s why I created my own. 9-46 and a DR DDT .65. It may not seem cost effective but it’s not bad. I change the .65 every other string change. Works for me.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been testing different gauge strings for drop A tuning on my 7 string. I am leaning towards using a regular set of 10's on the top 6 strings and using a 64 for the low A. It does't look like anyone makes this set.

What is everyone else using for drop A on a 7 string?

LaBella makes that exact string set: http://www.labella.com/products/hrs-72-nickel-rounds-7-string-10-64/

I personally make custom sets out of D'addario singles on their website for all of my guitars and tunings. My drop A setup is 9.5, 12, 16, 28, 38, 49, with either a 68 or 70 for the low A

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah the Labella 10-46+70 is pretty perfect. Myself, String Source, and String Joy are what I would recommend otherwise.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
9-46 + 62 for Drop A on 25.5, 26.5 and 27 with zero issues :)

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Currently have a 27” in drop-A using a 9-54 set... it’s okay, but a little loose for me. Next time around I’m going to bump it up to a 60.

I’ve converted over to Stringjoy, mainly because they sound amazing, but also because you can custom order any set, any gauges, and there’s no upcharge! I regularly get the 9-72 for my 8-string and just swap in an 80 (drop-E), it’s just that easy.

')