Drop B with 10s!!

• Thread starter pat2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pat2

Master of Djazz
Reaction score
This may or may not be interesting to anyone, but I was just playing around with my epi lp (which has 10s) and I thought hmmmm... let's just see how loose these stings get in Drop B. So i did it and.... it's actually playable :eek:

It's keeping tune fine, and there are no problems with intonation or the note going sharp or anything... it's just a bit loose.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I've got a set of cobalts on there and I use a Big Stubby for a pick (I've noticed significantly less of notes going sharp when i hit them with this pick).

I'm slightly confused but whatever; now i can haz teh br00talz on mah lester! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I always used 10-54 sets on my Les Paul tuned to drop-B, it is totally doable. The looseness improves the tone IMO!

pat2

Master of Djazz
Reaction score
And on top of that, the bending is insane :yesway:

Now I'm wondering why I have 11s on my torero in Drop B :scratch:

nicktao

Reaction score
How?! I need 12s for standard tuning on my lp and it's still not enough!

pat2

Master of Djazz
Reaction score
I might have a lighter touch than I thought :lol:

I always feel like I'm gonna break a string with think strings like that though :eek:

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Are you playing with any sense of dynamics and articulation or just playing with the lightest touch possible?

pat2

Master of Djazz
Reaction score
I was playing aggressively and everything :agreed:

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Ihad my 25.5 Ibanez RG in Bb standard with D'addario a 10-46 set for the few weeks leading up to me getting a 7 string and it sounded ....ing awesome. Felt terrible, but intonation wasn't an issue, and there wasn't too much flop, so long as I didn't pound on a non-palm muted note too hard.

Strings are weird. HOWEVER, I have noticed slightly more tension on the wound cobalt strings than on normal Nickel wound strings.

pat2

Master of Djazz
Reaction score
That certainly makes sense. I think I'll try a set of DR 10s on my 25.5 inch torero though. That would be very interesting :yesway:

RestyPad

Reaction score
I have 10-52 on my ltd with 24.75 scale tuned down to drop A# which is ridiculously low for such guitar and strings, but it's more or less playable however the strings are quiet loose.
It's interesting to see how long you can go, before it loses too much tension

arcadia fades

Reaction score
I have 10-52 on my ltd with 24.75 scale tuned down to drop A# which is ridiculously low for such guitar and strings, but it's more or less playable however the strings are quiet loose.
It's interesting to see how long you can go, before it loses too much tension

just wut.

if you are a gigging musician this just wont work full stop. Must be a bedroom warrior.

edsped

Reaction score
I use 9-42 on some of my guitars for D standard, I would probably dig 10-52 in drop B.

pat2

Master of Djazz
Reaction score
I actually like how it feel (save for the 46 gauge in B) so I think I'll probably switch to 10-52 or 54

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
i use 10-52 for everything ranging from e standard to drop a#. sometimes, a little flub adds something.

RickSchneider

Reaction score
I use 13-62s for drop b and have been for ages, but I'm thinking of going a bit lighter, maybe not all the way down to 10s though!

')