Drop B with 10s!!

• Thread starter pat2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Reaction score
I use 11-54 on my S series and 10-52 on both of my RGAs. It hasnt been much of a problem and has a great tone as well as brightening it up slightly too

nicktao

Reaction score
I have to use Daddarios 7 string pack and drop the high e for my lp.

I'm probably going to just sell it eventually seeing as I have incredibly acidic sweat and need a new pack every week, it's just not economical. I really wish elixirs weren't so expensive.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
I once tried 10-52's in B standard on my standard tuned guitar just to try it. It was ....ing great and felt perfect.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
I used to use 10-52's in drop B and drop A, it worked fine for my purposes, then I got my 7 started stringing it with 12-70's, and a 70 in B just feels perfect to me on a 25.5 inch scale, if I were to go that low on an LP, which has a shorter scale, my bottom string would probably be a 72. Just my $0.02

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
10-52 was what I used in Eb for ages, and even then they felt too loose.

I have been using 11-54 in standard on 25.5" scale for a while now. I cannot even fathom going as low as Drop A# or B standard on 10's.

I have a 13-65 set on my Ibanez 360EX in drop A# and even that as just barely tight enough for me.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
10-52 was what I used in Eb for ages, and even then they felt too loose.

I have been using 11-54 in standard on 25.5" scale for a while now. I cannot even fathom going as low as Drop A# or B standard on 10's.

I have a 13-65 set on my Ibanez 360EX in drop A# and even that as just barely tight enough for me.

you're the only guy I can relate to on this entire thread ! seriously I felt like an alien reading it; that, or everybody likes spaghetti strings xD

I like 10-52 on E standard, 12-56 on D, 14-62 on C, and 17-68 on B ...

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I used to use 10-52's in drop B and drop A, it worked fine for my purposes, then I got my 7 started stringing it with 12-70's, and a 70 in B just feels perfect to me on a 25.5 inch scale, if I were to go that low on an LP, which has a shorter scale, my bottom string would probably be a 72. Just my $0.02

70 in B on 25.5"? Thats like, waaay too tight. Thats like 26 pounds of tension... 60-62 are most optimal imo. But whatever, your choice. In drop A, however, 70's are just fine (I prefer looser anyway, but 70's seem sane in drop A since its not THAT tight)

edsped

Reaction score
I have to use Daddarios 7 string pack and drop the high e for my lp.

I'm probably going to just sell it eventually seeing as I have incredibly acidic sweat and need a new pack every week, it's just not economical. I really wish elixirs weren't so expensive.
They're only like $10/pack, even cheaper on eBay.

70 in B on 25.5"? Thats like, waaay too tight. Thats like 26 pounds of tension... 60-62 are most optimal imo. But whatever, your choice. In drop A, however, 70's are just fine (I prefer looser anyway, but 70's seem sane in drop A since its not THAT tight)

26 pounds of tension is about 2x more than I like. I'm curious if you guys who like super heavy strings do much bending or use much wide vibrato.

Horizongeetar93

the sparkle guy
Reaction score
i've done the exact same with my les paul and it sounded great. Still though, with the short scale it's always risky w/ sharp notes. i've moved on from this age though, but it's still interesting to know that i wasnt the only one on that boat!

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
26 pounds of tension is about 2x more than I like. I'm curious if you guys who like super heavy strings do much bending or use much wide vibrato.

Widest vibrato I do on any string is 2 semitones, and I guess I've just gotten used to it, most of it stems from being a hard picker.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
26 pounds of tension is too heavy? What?

I want at least 32 pounds across the fretboard. I play with 14-62 in E standard. I have 12-54 DRs on my main gigging axe that I gig with weekly. I plan to replace the top E and B strings with a 14 and 18.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
I'm guessing the neck is made from an I beam from a part of a bridge.

Suitable

Reaction score
Id hate to buy 1 of your guitars putting 32lb per string! I'm guessing really really low action rythum player??

F0rte

Wood Whore
Reaction score

I have a 74 for my 8 in B...
It's not too tight at all man. My 8 is also 25.5 mind you. The 70 is actually just perfect. Right in the middle of being tight, and loose.
Circle K's :yesway:

')