Drop C Gear...

• Thread starter AK66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used 11-54 for years in std E and 12-62 for Drop C. Then i developed chronic tendinitis. Then i had physiotherapie, now I use 10-52 and in Drop C and I'm kinda used to it.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Man, color me surprised to see the amount of people running 11s for little ol' drop C; apparently I'm the only one besides Masoo likes a bit of extra slink with a 10-52 set for D standard/drop C.

haha i'm using 12 -56 although on a les paul not super strat like most on here. gonna string my my Duvell with the 12-56 in C though likely tomorrow.

Millul

Reaction score
Well, I just restrung my RG yesterday with 10-52s, and decided to give it a spin in C standard...a bit loose, yes, but fun to play!
For Drop A# I'd need a 56, I fear...

mongey

Reaction score
After running all kinds of options with big strings ,I found I prefer lighter and looser.
54 for c is perfect.

Metropolis

Reaction score
You see there is opinions on using thick strings, lighter strings and something between. 10-52 for me, sometimes I have replaced 52 with a 56. Now my drop-C guitar has Evertune bridge, and you can get away with lighter set because of how it works.

AlejandroGomez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is directly related to the scale length and tuning. I use Drop C in a Solar 27" baritone with Fishman fluence pickups, and I have tried different string sets... Being my favourite D'Addario EXL 117 11-56.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, color me surprised to see the amount of people running 11s for little ol' drop C; apparently I'm the only one besides Masoo likes a bit of extra slink with a 10-52 set for D standard/drop C.

It works for darkest hour too :lol: (one of the guitarists just posted to IG).

I used 10-52 for Drop C#/Db on 24.75, 25 and 25.5. I have 25" in C standard with 11-54 and it feels pretty good. I don't know if D'addario is still making their 12-60 set? Drop C it may be a bit much, but drop Bb it was a great time.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
step 1, google string tension calculator.
step 2. play around with one til you find the gauges in the tension range you want (most people go from 17-20lbs).
step 3. ignore people recommending random gauges. It's all personal preference and you won't know what you like until you've tried a few different tensions/brands.

LCW

Reaction score
step 1, google string tension calculator.
step 2. play around with one til you find the gauges in the tension range you want (most people go from 17-20lbs).
step 3. ignore people recommending random gauges. It's all personal preference and you won't know what you like until you've tried a few different tensions/brands.

I use the stringjoy calculator. I aim for a total tension of around 100 lbs based on what I liked in E-std. Trying to find sets with decent balance between strings.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I just decided to go another round with DR DDT's. Not bad, but man they feel tight on this mexi strat I just got. I decided to get their version of 11-54 because they don't have ginormous G strings in their sets like EB do. They have a 19 instead of 22 which feels dull in the EB sets, I play cleans a good bit. I might go back to their 10-52. I feel like there's way more tension on this strat with the trem screws cranked into the body to keep it flat. Feels like way less tension on my standard bridge Affinity Jazzmaster.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
StringJoy custom set
25.5 scale dropC/D
10.5 14 18 26 36 54

If I never go to D and intend on staying in C, I would probably bump that thick string up to 56

Not only is the quality awesome with StringJoy, the tension choices can be adjusted

For example, almost every stock 10-52 or 11-54 set is fine on string 1 & 6, but will be way too tight in other areas especially on the 5th string. These discrepencies seem to be even more pronounced in drop tunings

It took me a few years of experimenting and using a string tension calculator to get to my current choices. Once you get the tension you like, it is easy to adjust for a 24.75 scale or different tuning.

Aape-

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
10-52 for standard D and 10-56 for drop C!

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I’ve been using 10-52’s for Drop C for close to 20 years now. I dig the lack of tension on the lower strings because I can get those pinch harmonics into Zakk Wylde territory with little effort. I do occasionally have to pay more attention when soloing though, because I’ll bend the strings out of tune.

As far as pickups, I put the Devin Townsend set in my Ibanez SZ (my main drop-C guitar and overall main guitar these days) and really dig them. I haven’t played active pickups since I was in high school so it was a pretty big change and I had to re-dial in all my main tones as a result. On the modern setting, they can be a bit much with the high output (my other ‘main’ guitar is a JEM with Dimarzio Evolutions, hi output but totally different EQ curve) and it’s really a lot like putting a boost in front of an amp.

They really shine for me when it comes to layering guitars. A lot of times, instead of touching any amp settings or using a different amp all together, I’ll just switch to the Classic setting and it’s enough of a difference that it does the trick. I get pretty much equal use out of both the Modern and Classic settings. The single coil + classic is also really great. It doesn’t get me in Strat territory, but it’s does help create a wonderful clean/break up tone and it’s not shrill in any way.

If I were able to tweak them, I’d probably dial the output and higher frequencies of the Modern setting back a bit. Not much, a couple dB. For the most part, all I’ve had to do is remove the Input boost/drives from my signal chains in my AxeFX and I was good to go.

Actually, I’ve got a small clip of a cover of “Man In The Box” my buds and I did, the left side is all on the Modern setting and the right side is the Classic setting. If you listen with some decent headphones you can surely pick it out. The solo was also split, first half being the Modern setting with the 2nd half on the Classic setting. Same amp (preset) settings.

https://soundcloud.com/strokeface/mitbclip?ref=clipboard&p=i&c=1

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been using 10-52’s for Drop C for close to 20 years now. I dig the lack of tension on the lower strings because I can get those pinch harmonics into Zakk Wylde territory with little effort. I do occasionally have to pay more attention when soloing though, because I’ll bend the strings out of tune.

As far as pickups, I put the Devin Townsend set in my Ibanez SZ (my main drop-C guitar and overall main guitar these days) and really dig them. I haven’t played active pickups since I was in high school so it was a pretty big change and I had to re-dial in all my main tones as a result. On the modern setting, they can be a bit much with the high output (my other ‘main’ guitar is a JEM with Dimarzio Evolutions, hi output but totally different EQ curve) and it’s really a lot like putting a boost in front of an amp.

They really shine for me when it comes to layering guitars. A lot of times, instead of touching any amp settings or using a different amp all together, I’ll just switch to the Classic setting and it’s enough of a difference that it does the trick. I get pretty much equal use out of both the Modern and Classic settings. The single coil + classic is also really great. It doesn’t get me in Strat territory, but it’s does help create a wonderful clean/break up tone and it’s not shrill in any way.

If I were able to tweak them, I’d probably dial the output and higher frequencies of the Modern setting back a bit. Not much, a couple dB. For the most part, all I’ve had to do is remove the Input boost/drives from my signal chains in my AxeFX and I was good to go.

Actually, I’ve got a small clip of a cover of “Man In The Box” my buds and I did, the left side is all on the Modern setting and the right side is the Classic setting. If you listen with some decent headphones you can surely pick it out. The solo was also split, first half being the Modern setting with the 2nd half on the Classic setting. Same amp (preset) settings.

https://soundcloud.com/strokeface/mitbclip?ref=clipboard&p=i&c=1

I have the same thoughts on the Townsends. Super versatile. But the modern voicing seems to be a bit much treble and output. Other than that great great set of pu's.

')