Drop C Gear...

• Thread starter AK66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which strings would you use between these two for drop c tuning? Look what else showed up in the mail. I'm snatching out the blackest black winter pickups on my ESP black metal guitar for the Devin Townsend fishman actives...
NYXLs all day every day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NesrednaEssal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have two 25.5" scale guitars at home both with 12-60 strings, one is tuned to Drop C and the other to Drop B.
I prefer the tension on the Drop B tuning with these strings, so for Drop C I will go with 11-56 or 10-54/56 the next time I change.

Fortin Worship

Reaction score
Which strings would you use between these two for drop c tuning? Look what else showed up in the mail. I'm snatching out the blackest black winter pickups on my ESP black metal guitar for the Devin Townsend fishman actives...

11-56 on a 24.75" scale. I use 10-52 on a 25.5" scale. That blackened winter pickup is great. To each his own I suppose. I'm a passive pickup guy. Wanna sell it?

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would use 060 onwards for drop C. Anything less will sound like The Beach Boys.

I used to use standard 11s on 24.75" scale, but now I use 10-52 on 25.5" scale. Pretty sure I don't sound anything like the Beach Boys :D

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
I used to use 10-52 but I have giant meat claws and I would detune the strings by pushing to hard lmao

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Man, color me surprised to see the amount of people running 11s for little ol' drop C; apparently I'm the only one besides Masoo likes a bit of extra slink with a 10-52 set for D standard/drop C.

How did you manage to fit a 56 into the gibraltar bridge on your RGA121?? Thickest I could fit was a 54
At least on mine I can just BARELY get a 56 in properly. Any bigger and I don't think it fits

Amer Alameddine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use the Ernie Ball Beefy set (11-54), which is similar to the DR set you have there. It's great if you like bending and doing wide vibrato as it's a bit looser than the 11-56. But if you prefer more tension for fast picking you might prefer an 11-56. I'd go with the latter at first to be honest, and if it's too much, than go lower. But I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
How did you manage to fit a 56 into the gibraltar bridge on your RGA121?? Thickest I could fit was a 54

My bad duder; I just checked the tape he sticks on all my cases so I know what he uses. It’s NYXLs, but apparently I’m using 10-52s.

That’s actually the highest tuned guitar I have, all the rest are in drop B or B standard, and I use 11-56 on 25.5 for drop B, is why I was confused.

Last edited:

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Apparently, I've been 'doing it wrong' for years now because I use D'Addario 14-68's tuned to Drop A. :lol: I recently ordered a couple of 'light sets' of Ernie Ball Mammoths (12-62) to see how they hold up.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently, I've been 'doing it wrong' for years now because I use D'Addario 14-68's tuned to Drop A. :lol: I recently ordered a couple of 'light sets' of Ernie Ball Mammoths (12-62) to see how they hold up.

068 Sounds about right to me for drop A. I do prefer lighter gagues though (066 or 064 if 27"), but it's consistent with the tension of a 046 low E. Not wrong at all. Quite the opposite (if you want to keep tension consistent, that is).

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
I use 10-52 on 25.5 scale guitar and 1046 on multiscale guitar.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
068 Sounds about right to me for drop A. I do prefer lighter gagues though (066 or 064 if 27"), but it's consistent with the tension of a 046 low E. Not wrong at all. Quite the opposite (if you want to keep tension consistent, that is).

yeah, I use 10-52 for E standard and concluded that I can't play in drop A with my gear because the 6th string would never fit through the string-through hole

edit: wait, you are probably talking about a 7 string, I meant a 6 string in Lord Mantis tuning lol

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, I use 10-52 for E standard and concluded that I can't play in drop A with my gear because the 6th string would never fit through the string-through hole

edit: wait, you are probably talking about a 7 string, I meant a 6 string in Lord Mantis tuning lol

That's odd. I used to run a 068 in a string-thru Jackson with no issues.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
That's odd. I used to run a 068 in a string-thru Jackson with no issues.

E at 052 ~= A at 076. I'm not even sure this ESP could fit a 68 though

FWIW my other string through guitar (Kramer) has substantially larger holes so I guess there's a lot of variety there

Spinedriver

Reaction score
E at 052 ~= A at 076. I'm not even sure this ESP could fit a 68 though

FWIW my other string through guitar (Kramer) has substantially larger holes so I guess there's a lot of variety there

I'm using the 68's with a Fernandes Ravelle and an LTD MH-350 (both 6 strings). They do indeed fit through the string holes but I will say it takes a little extra bit of effort to get it through the tuning peg. Kinda why I decided to give the 62's a try, anything bigger than a .68 and I don't know if they would even fit through the body or the hole in the string saddle let alone the tuning post.

AK66

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the same thoughts on the Townsends. Super versatile. But the modern voicing seems to be a bit much treble and output. Other than that great great set of pu's.

Everything I've heard about the Townsend pickups is it has a very throaty lower mid-range punch. Do you think they sound better than EMG 81?

')