Drop E bass amp suggestions

• Thread starter areyna21
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

areyna21

Reaction score
So in my band we have started to write in drop e on 8 strings. We use a Spector 35" scale 6 string bass with a .200 as the low e. These string are from Kalium and are good quality strings. The bass rig right now is a mark bass 410 and a little mark ii bass head. When we hit the low e open or even the first few frets it just bottoms out. From what I've read you need at least 1000 watts of headroom to help with being able to reproduce a note that low. Im looking at different possible ways of doing that. One is power amp, crossover, Aguilar tone hammer preamp pedal, 4x10 and 1x18. The second is gallien Kruger 2001rb and Mesa powerhouse 4x10 1x15 combo cab. Any other suggestions are welcome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're only really mostly going to get overtones anyway, audibly, might as well make it easier and play at the same octave. It tends to sound better both live and recorded 9/10 times. :2c:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So your saying tune the bass an octave up instead?

Relative to where it is now, yes. So the same low E as your guitars.

Remember, the primary tonal difference between guitar and bass is the ratio of fundamental tone and overtones, with the bass having more fundamental and guitar the opposite. So even when played at the same octave the bass will still sound more "bass like" and support the guitars.

areyna21

Reaction score
Okay this has given me a new avenue to explore. Thanks for the input I'll have to explore this a lot further. So eadgbe is the tuning that we are talking about? What kind of strings would even support that kind of tension?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay this has given me a new avenue to explore. Thanks for the input I'll have to explore this a lot further. So eadgbe is the tuning that we are talking about? What kind of strings would even support that kind of tension?

Regular bass strings. Are you sure you get what I'm saying?

So you tune your 8-string guitar down to EBEADGBE, correct?

That lowest E is E1 or one octave lower than the second lowest E[2] that you find on a traditional 6-string guitar.

A standard 4-string bass' low E is also E1. That's the E I'm talking about when it comes to tuning your bass, not the E0 you're using a giant string for.

areyna21

Reaction score
Yeah I got it just wrapping my head around it. The tension is going to be higher when using that tuning so I'll need way thinner gauge strings. Because I'm trying to accomplish this on a six string. Honestly would probably be easer just to use a 4 string bass in its standard tuning.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I got it just wrapping my head around it. The tension is going to be higher when using that tuning so I'll need way thinner gauge strings. Because I'm trying to accomplish this on a six string. Honestly would probably be easer just to use a 4 string bass in its standard tuning.

The tension is only going to be slightly higher on the first two strings compared to standard 6 string bass tuning. It's really not nearly as complicated as I think you think it is. Really.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
IMO its still worth having the option for that super low E since it can sound ridiculously low live and on record. Maybe consider tuning your bass E(0)E(1)ADGC

I agree that you may need more power, but more importantly more speakers. Try a sealed 8x10. You wont get as much sub bass but you'll get better clarity and more air moving. A solid state head like the GK you mentioned is probably also good.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Jus tune regularly. Tune BEADGC, and when the guitars do stuff on their B string, go down to your B string, but match their low E with your E in the same octave.

Depends on the situation but often that change means the feeling of bass totally drops out. Guitar players are often riffing a little higher and then they want the big powerful part to come in and they drop way down to that 8th string. If the bass player goes from playing an octave below the guitars to playing in the same octave as them it can feel and sound like the bass disappeared or stopped playing. Of course this depends on the parts, feel, mix, etc... but its something to consider.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I think kalium made/is working on a sub bass amp/cab. I read about it last year but nothing since.

Also, I'm a fan of bass at same octave (E1)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
fEARful / fEARless cabs buddy. Thank me later :hbang:Get yourself 2000 watts into that and you're laughing.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Don't know about that, I paid $1000 for each of my 112s (fearful 12/6/1) equivalent to be built for me. As far as I remember you can DIY for about 60% of builders prices. They aren't cheap, no, but worth their reputation!

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
These work pretty well for that kind of thing. They even come in different colors!

Danelectro-N10-Amps.jpg

Ok ok I'm leaving please don't hurt me.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Hmm have access to a highpass filter? maybe cut all the low lows with the highppass, boost low mids & use a comp should all help out.

Cobra

Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of hearing "just tune it like a normal 4 string, E1" - if the guy wants tips for and amp for E0 tuning, then give him tips on amps for E0 tuning and shut up about the E1 ok? I'm getting into E0 myself, and every thread I read about E0 turns into being about E1. stop it. I get it, "but it's going to be hard to get the E0 to sound good, E1 is much easier to deal with" - yeah, I get it,but stop it. if it's hard to get E0 to sound good then it's about *how* to make it sound good, not giving up.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of hearing "just tune it like a normal 4 string, E1" - if the guy wants tips for and amp for E0 tuning, then give him tips on amps for E0 tuning and shut up about the E1 ok? I'm getting into E0 myself, and every thread I read about E0 turns into being about E1. stop it. I get it, "but it's going to be hard to get the E0 to sound good, E1 is much easier to deal with" - yeah, I get it,but stop it. if it's hard to get E0 to sound good then it's about *how* to make it sound good, not giving up.

Well, telling someone what tends to sound better in a lot of people's opinion is a tip. :cool:

I've seen so many bands try to do E0 live and it just sounds terrible.

I don't see you giving any advice one way or the other. Be the change bro. :yesway:

Latest posts

')