Drop G anyone?

• Thread starter Greg Pope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Pope

Reaction score
Hey,

A friend gave me the idea of recording something in Drop G... so I did a small clip, theres no bass on this as my old four string coudn't handle it!! So I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt to record a whole tune like this I might just stay in Drop A.
What do you think?? Press play mother fusher!!

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/gregpope'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=6007124&scid=6007124&q=hi&ext=1&ref=11&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

Greg:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
can't really pass judgement when there's no bass because that would make the riff what it should be. It sounds good though bro, borrow a friend's 5 string or something

Coryd

Reaction score
nice track! Great riff even with no bass.
i still don't have a bass that can tune to drop A myself for my stuff.

Greg Pope

Reaction score
cheers guys,

Indeed I shall invest in some new strings:yesway:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i tune to drop G too, but it was kind of hard to get it right on a 25.5" guitar, so i´m in drop Ab at the moment, going to get a baritone neck so i can go all the way :p

and 1 .130 string on a bass can barely handle that low G... i want a .165, but it´s not exactly easy to get a hold of :p

Greg Pope

Reaction score
Ah nice one, Yeah I think I'm gona have to do the same, As I'm using a 6 string at the mo.:shred:

ridealot100

Reaction score
To much trebs in the tone I think.

It kinda takes from the drop g goodness. haha
Im recording some stuff in drop g as soon as i can get a freakin drum program=/

CGord

Reaction score
I use a .135 5th string on my bass & a .064 6th string on my guitars, & I still went up to Bb from A! You guys dropping down to G are insane! :D

(Clip rocks, BTW!)

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Sounds good! Let us know how that goes with the bass (34" scale I assume?) as I tune to Ab and have been eying a bass with a 34" scale.

I use a .135 5th string on my bass & a .064 6th string on my guitars, & I still went up to Bb from A! You guys dropping down to G are insane! :D

You could do it on a 64 :p I'm using a .059 for G# on a 25.5" scale. :)

CGord

Reaction score
Nope, not me. I have a pretty heavy picking hand, & A felt too floppy with a .064 for me on a 25.5", & on my 24.75" guitar the low A would wowwww out of tune. My 7 is tuned to standard & I went to a .064 on it, too.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That wowwww sound can be really cool though, you don't want it going out of tune, but the vibrations of the string give it more growl and snarl. 064 in A felt great to me when I tried it, but tonally I prefer even lighter ones :)

Nats

Reaction score
i really liked it. i just recorded a song in drop G this evening. first time attempting that. probably won't use it too often though. what's your avatar from Pope?

Greg Pope

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice for the bass strings guys!!

i really liked it. i just recorded a song in drop G this evening. first time attempting that. probably won't use it too often though. what's your avatar from Pope?

Cheers dude. It's from a film called Dead mans shoes Awesome film!

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
I love to play in drop Ab, but any lower I suddenly want to tune to F! However with a 25.5" I agree it doesn't sound right.

I use a .64 for fucking standard so that's another reason I don't detune so much. I pick really hard and I love tension.

My next axe is definately gonna be a 27" scale.

I have a six string bass but I'm afraid to detune it cause I don't think my small 120watt "12 bass amp could handle any lower than that.

')