Drop tunes

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Are anyone exept me play ONLY with standart tune (low beadgbe high) ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
yup only standard beadgbe here as well.

To me, I use a seven so I can have a six and a lower B string, keep all my fretboard knowledge etc in tact........tuning down and just riffing on the lower strings always begs the question........why not just use a six?

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
One 7 in standard / One 7 in drop A.

Best of both world, altough i prefer standard. Low A starts to sound unmusical to me (to me, i said).

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
WOW, How much did you mod that thing?

After i got it, i did :

- Changed all the electronics
- Removed ugly blue paint / oiled the body
- SD Invader in bridge + SD Jazz in neck
- Added pickup rings
- Push-pull / coil tapping with the tone knob.
- + full set-up / frets polishing... the usual.

It's pretty good now for a guitar i paid 275$.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Well my FAVORITE tuning is B standard because i love the way the B note always sounds, but in my new band Time Is Now, they use A standard so i had to detune. But for my 6s i use E standard and Drop B / Drop C (i bounce between those two).

but my two all time favorite tunings are B standard for a 7 and Drop B for a 6er

Nats

Reaction score
98% of the time i use standard. one percent for drop A and the other one percent for whatever i feel like

CL7

Gangsta Guitarist
Reaction score
I tune my 7s to Drop A & G..my electric 6s to Drop B & C, and my flamenco and classical to Drop C & D

Universalis

Defying gravity.
Reaction score
I always go for standard tuning. I use some particular tunings on some basses, but never on guitars. Well, I think that I'll do something new on my 2228 once it comes home, who knows!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
yup only standard beadgbe here as well.

To me, I use a seven so I can have a six and a lower B string, keep all my fretboard knowledge etc in tact........tuning down and just riffing on the lower strings always begs the question........why not just use a six?

Huh? Using standard B tuning and only riffing on the lower strings is any different? You do realize if you tune down 1/2 step or 1 step, that you don't lose your "fretboard knowledge" right? It's relative. The fingerings don't change.

One 7 in standard / One 7 in drop A.

Best of both world, altough i prefer standard. Low A starts to sound unmusical to me (to me, i said).

A lot of amps and/or pickups don't amplify low notes like A or Bb very well. I think A is a very musical note when you're using the right rig. People can't run a Squire through a cheap rig and expect very low notes to sound great, you know? The lower the frequency, the harder it is to amplify.

Personally, I think a lot of people don't realize there's more benefits to tuning down than just getting a low Bb or A. I find the voicings/character of the other 6 strings sound a lot more musical. Chords sound better to my ears 1 step down, it sounds less happy and a little more melodic. Riffs seem to sound heavier and more interesting in the DGCFAD part as well. I find needing the low string far less because I can get a big percentage of our riffing done on the D etc. Finally, I also find there's not a lot of pleasant sounding notes way up there on a high E string. When your high string is D, you only lose 2 frets but you still have access to reach ear-piercing highs if you wish.

[/OPINION]

Of course, everyone's ears are different and thus have valid opinions. All I know is I used to dislike tuning below B for many many years, but I found out a lot of that had to do with HOW you use the lower tunings and what gear you use to cater to the different voicings :)

Latest posts

')