Drop tunes

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
At the moment my seven's tuned AbDbAbDbGbBbEb; basically drop C# with an extra low string. That's one of my favourite drop tunings, mainly for its versatility. The default tuning on that guitar's Bb standard, although I love to play with different ones. ADADGAD's another great one, as is CFBbEbGCF.
It's all a question of personal preference. I know plenty of people who like to stick to standard because they don't like the sound of dropped or open tunings (Durero takes it one step further and tunes the whole guitar in fourths to make it as systematic as possible), but I really like the way a switching tunings forces you to looks at the fretboard in a new way and possible come up with something you wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Just tune your guitar however you're most comfortable with it and however sounds best to you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've never stayed in one tuning, even during the phases when I believed that standard tuning was the best way to play everything.

I usually play in standard, though. I also like d-standard+a and GCFBbDAE. :D

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I definitely like using thatone: AbDbAbDbGbBbEb, i use it to play a lot of Staind's material with. You get to have a drop tuned six, and then a really beefy low end when you want to use it

Kronpox

shrent? shrent.
Reaction score
I keep my 6 in standard, but my 7's generally down a half step. I'm thinking of heading down to Ab standard in the near future. I don't play in dropped tunings (that is, 6th string being a 5th above the 7th, like in dropped D) unless I'm forced to.

Latest posts

')