Dropped D on a 7?

• Thread starter SPBY
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SPBY

Reaction score
Kind of a question brought on by the song CAFO :wub:. Tosin plays the song on a 7 string with the top 6 strings tuned to drop D. Is there anyone else who plays in this tuning? i find it kind of interesting, and helpful since i'm used to playing a 6 in dropped tunings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
Just drop the seventh string to A, then capo the guitar off at the third fret if you want to play in drop D.

You also might be able to get away with some strange stuff if you drop both the B and E down a step.

SPBY

Reaction score
Just drop the seventh string to A, then capo the guitar off at the third fret if you want to play in drop D.

You also might be able to get away with some strange stuff if you drop both the B and E down a step.

no, i like the tuning, i was just wondering if it's like a common 7 string tuning, me being relatively new to 7's and all.

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score
ADADGBE... i love it.... great for open arpeggio things coz its easier.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Playing in drop D on a 7-string just forces you be a little cleaner in your picking, if you're used to making big movements for chugs and whatnot. Other than that it's just like playing on a six, you should get used to it in no time :yesway:

Våd Hamster

Reaction score
I use GDADGBE on some of my own stuff, makes for some interesting voicings.

Richie666

Reaction score
Yeah, when I was making the transition from 6 to 7, I would play my drop D songs on it and eventually discovered some intriguing chord voicings with it. BDADGBE is actually one of my favorite metal tunings now.

I still find it difficult to play some of my thrashier songs meant for a 6 on my 7 though. It's strange having your pick boxed in like that when you've been playing 6s for so long.

Våd Hamster;1848835 said:
I use GDADGBE on some of my own stuff, makes for some interesting voicings.
Hmm, I <3 9th chords so I may have to give this a shot. Need some thicker gauges though...

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
My 7 is currently a step lower than the CAFO tuning, but with a dropped G, instead of an A. GCGCFAD, it's pretty fun, but I'm going to finish it off and tune to Open C; I miss playing in that tuning.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
try GDGDGBE tuning. i've also been thinking about GDGDGAD, but i haven't had the chance to try it yet.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Misha uses a Bb Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb Tuning every once in a while, like on Racecar.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
I play in drop C with a low G. Very convenient tuning.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I have played in double drop A (ADADGBE) and double G a further full step down. Fun tunings.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Just go the whole way, get a baritone and tune the thing in 5ths :)

peavey_impact

Hamer fanboy
Reaction score
I occasionally used to play my seven in drop D and just skip over the low B, because 99% of my band's songs are in drop D. Not too bad on a 7-string but if you try it on an 8 it's kind of a mindfuck :D

Latest posts

')