Dropping the oni bomb folks!!!

• Thread starter Scarpie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpie

Reaction score
there has been some talk lately about 9 strings on here which to my humor couldn't have better timing hhahahaha

ladies and djents after a little over a month of planning/debating/suggesting/more debating/learning........... i am finally going to indulge in ordering what will be my very first custom guitar. an Oni monster of extended range on all counts. it was tricky....... but i think we nailed it.
wanting as much clarity from the bass end and maintaining as much warmth from the treble side took very careful consideration. i didn't want just added low end range. i wanted the instrument to be a literal extension of everything i do on 6 and 7 string guitars. which led to fanned frets being the only option. to accomodate the low strings i would have had to compromise the guitars sonic properties on the high strings. after 28" scales the guitars overtones start to dominate the tone. something i didn't want. not to mention having to compromise my lead work due to such added tension on treble strings with baritone scales that were a detrimental necessity for optimal performance/tension/ and clarity to low bass strings. but we've reached a point with great promise.

scarpie's ONI 9 string:

-tuned to normal standard bottomed with a low B,F#,C#
-fanned fret at 27.5" to 31" scales
-vertical fret at 9th fret
-2 custom ONI humbuckers-
-uber thin sapele body with queen ebony top
-sapele neck(wizard dimensions and contour)
-an ebony fingerboard with wood binding
-dual trussrods
-27 frets for extended high range
-9 Individual bridges
-volume, series/parallel, and tight control knob

the excitement can't be verbally expressed. dan has been incredibly awesome to deal with.
and folks after 15 years my time has come :evil:

on a side note i did want to thank this forum and all you quirky members for uniting to create the absolute greatest forum. for i never would have learned what i needed to full fill my life long dream of owning a custom guitar if not for the wisdom/ideas/ and knowledge of everyones personal experience. you guys rule. :metal: so thanks to everyone

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
:yesway:

Dan is an awesome guy. You should get a great guitar.

You say the body is stained? What color?

Scarpie

Reaction score
:yesway:

Dan is an awesome guy. You should get a great guitar.

You say the body is stained? What color?

dan is currently experimenting with stains, as of right now it's to be determined.

however i had something in mind along these lines

Attachments

• red stain.jpg
    red stain.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 119

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Awesome! Dan's a great guy to work with, and builds beautiful guitars. You won't be disappointed.

Scarpie

Reaction score
thanks guys, i'll be sure to plague this site with pics and videos when the time comes.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
This forum is great, isn't it? I never would've found out about any of the luthiers on here, or even Agile. It's a great place.

Back on track, congrats for getting that guitar started. I really can't wait to see how it turns out, and I ESPECIALLY can't wait to hear how it sounds!

vansinn

Reaction score
Dropping the Bomb, you say? Can hardly wait to see/hear that nuke ;) -can only be... Ûber cool :agreed:
Damn, all that GAS is hurting my intestrials..

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of Onis, does anyone have links to pictures/threads? I've yet to see a decent picture of an Oni. From what I hear, they sound brilliant.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Theres a thread in the dealers and group buy section, loads of pics :yesway:

Oh, and the guitar sounds incredible, it's not helping my Oni GAS :(

elvendio

Reaction score
Awesome man I am in the process of deciding how many strings to use in my build. I am actually thinking 10 but still searching and researching.

Can't wait to see your beast!

Fler

Òran Mór
Reaction score
Damn dude, you're goin for a total bass bomb of an instrument.

Cool seeing Dan do all these guitars, can't wait to see mine being built :)

Latest posts

')