Drugs...

• Thread starter Kaura
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Have any of fellow ss.org members been on any drugs, prescription or not? Last week I spoke with a psychiatrist for the first time in my life and she prescribed me some mirtazapine which is an anti-depressant. I've not taken it yet because I've been drinking and I can't take it with alcohol but I'm planning to try it tomorrow if I manage to stay sober.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
fetchimage

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Just took some quetiapine despite the fact I've had like 10 beers tonight. Hope I will woke up tomorrow... If not, remember me as the finished headstock guy. :metal:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
If you feel like you really need it then you're gona try it, but I'd consider any possible natural alternatives first, like stop drinking, eat healthy, exercise. This pill slope can mess your entire life up. Next thing you know 20 years have gone by and life is far worse than you started. You're better off drinking if you wanna buzz and better off with a PM sleeping pill if you wanna sleep.

Check out the side effects:
- It's funny how every pill has a potential side efffect of the symptom it's trying to treat. So basically in reality they're just saying; "It will either make it worse, better, or not do much of anything. Other people said this works, give it try and tell me what you think. If it don't work come back and I'll either increase the dosage or give you something with a little more kick."

- Good luck. Sincerely, I hope everything works out for you.

home consumer_mirtazapine_remeron_remeron_soltab

Privacy & Trust Info
Brand Name: Remeron, Remeron SolTab
Generic Name: mirtazapine
Drug Class: Antidepressants, Other; Antidepressants, Alpha-2 Antagonists

What Is Mirtazapine and How Does It Work?
Mirtazapine is indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder.

Mirtazapine is available under the following different brand names: Remeron, and Remeron SolTab.

Dosages of Mirtazapine:

Adult and Pediatric Dosage Forms & Strengths

Tablet

• 7.5 mg
  • 15 mg
  • 30 mg
  • 45 mg
Disintegrating tablet

• 15 mg
  • 30 mg
  • 45 mg
Dosage Considerations – Should be Given as Follows:

Depression

• Adult: 15 mg orally at bedtime; may increase no more frequently than every 1-2 weeks; not to exceed 45 mg at bedtime
  • Geriatric: 7.5 mg/day orally at bedtime; increase by 7.5-15 mg/day no more frequently than every 1-2 weeks; not to exceed 45 mg/day
Alzheimer Dementia-related Depression, Geriatric

• 7.5 mg/day orally at bedtime; increase by 7.5-15 mg/day no more frequently than every 1-2 weeks; not to exceed 60 mg/day
Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (Off-label)

• 15 mg orally at bedtime; may increase no more frequently than every 1-2 weeks; not to exceed 60 mg at bedtime
Hot Flashes (Off-label)

• 7.5-60 mg orally once/day
Insomnia (Off-label)

• 15-45 mg orally at bedtime
Dosing Modifications

• Renal impairment (CrCl less than 39 mL/min): Clearance is reduced; monitor closely
  • Hepatic impairment: Clearance is reduced; monitor closely
Dosing Considerations

• Pediatric: Safety and efficacy not established
  • Geriatric: The elderly have reduced clearance of mirtazapine and, as a result, may have increased plasma levels of the drug. Use with caution

SLIDESHOW
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication See Slideshow

What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Mirtazapine?
Common side effects of mirtazapine include:

Less common side effects of mirtazapine include:

Other side effects of mirtazapine include:

Postmarketing side effects of mirtazapine reported include:

This document does not contain all possible side effects and others may occur. Check with your physician for additional information about side effects.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
@c7spheres

Yeah, I know. It's funny they gave me anti-depressants when I just wanted something to fall asleep and for general anxiety. But I understand the reason they won't give me the good stuff like BZD's because they're just as addictive if not even more than alcohol because they work so well. I got some a month ago when I went through acute rehab and I felt like I was in heaven despite being feeling like being in hell before taking the drug.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I took antidepressants after an episode in college. My mother saw improvement, I mostly felt the same. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I have taken many drugs and am on some now, none of which are pharmaceutical. I have always been the type that uses natural drugs for self treatment since I was young and while I know that is very strange for a lot of people, I live a very normal middle class life. I am far more afraid of doctors prescribed drugs, especially opiates and psychiatric drugs. I will never take anything like that even if prescribed. I can’t tell you how often I have turned down opiates.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I saw a segment on 60 minutes talking about shrooms and other stuff being used for treating ptsd and other issues. Everyone who's ever done these in the proper environment knows what they're capable of and that they aren't to be taken lightly. The can transform your liife forever in a matter of hours. It's very dangerous without guidance. You might desappear if not guided properly. Like literally disappear.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Common side effects of mirtazapine include:

Are there any negative side effects?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Drugs are bad, m'kay.

More seriously though, I've always had a bit of a weird paranoia with drugs - I avoid anything that isn't absolutely necessary, unless you count caffeine and alcohol. In bad pain and need pain killers, sure I get it. But part of me doesn't trust the idea of throwing random prescriptions at things in hopes it'll do something. It's all anecdotal, but I've seen reasonably often, someone will go for professional medical advice and they basically pull the doctor-on-tv method of just trying every drug one-by-one until something sticks.

I don't know if it's just a local problem, but I hate how antidepressants seem to be prescribed for basically everything. Had a bad day? Antidepressants. Can't sleep? Antidepressants. Trying to get off a different drug? Antidepressants. Kids acting up? Antidepressants. Mild cold symptoms? You get the idea. I have zero doubt that there are legitimate use cases for these kinds of drugs, but it's not literally everything. I've seen people just take them, get kinda dependant on them, and still have the original problem they got the drugs for. On top of that, misusing them makes it easy to doubt the validity of a prescription when they really are needed.

I mean, don't take my advice, because I'm not a doctor, I don't really know any better - but if you ask for my opinion - and again, not a doctor, this is probably a bad take, don't consider it good advice - you should know how and why (or at least THAT) a drug is addressing whatever you're taking it for. Or at the very least your doctor should. And if neither of you can answer that question, especially if the root cause of the issue is being ignored, then the drug is a crutch and not a solution and should probably be avoided lest the side-effects be worst than the original problem.

My personal philosophy is always to address the cause, not the symptoms, whenever possible.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Drugs are bad, m'kay.

More seriously though, I've always had a bit of a weird paranoia with drugs - I avoid anything that isn't absolutely necessary, unless you count caffeine and alcohol. In bad pain and need pain killers, sure I get it. But part of me doesn't trust the idea of throwing random prescriptions at things in hopes it'll do something. It's all anecdotal, but I've seen reasonably often, someone will go for professional medical advice and they basically pull the doctor-on-tv method of just trying every drug one-by-one until something sticks.

I don't know if it's just a local problem, but I hate how antidepressants seem to be prescribed for basically everything. Had a bad day? Antidepressants. Can't sleep? Antidepressants. Trying to get off a different drug? Antidepressants. Kids acting up? Antidepressants. Mild cold symptoms? You get the idea. I have zero doubt that there are legitimate use cases for these kinds of drugs, but it's not literally everything. I've seen people just take them, get kinda dependant on them, and still have the original problem they got the drugs for. On top of that, misusing them makes it easy to doubt the validity of a prescription when they really are needed.

I mean, don't take my advice, because I'm not a doctor, I don't really know any better - but if you ask for my opinion - and again, not a doctor, this is probably a bad take, don't consider it good advice - you should know how and why (or at least THAT) a drug is addressing whatever you're taking it for. Or at the very least your doctor should. And if neither of you can answer that question, especially if the root cause of the issue is being ignored, then the drug is a crutch and not a solution and should probably be avoided lest the side-effects be worst than the original problem.

My personal philosophy is always to address the cause, not the symptoms, whenever possible.

Addressing the cause is the solution for sure.

I've been through it many times with my grandparents, parents, older freinds and even a couple freinds my age. I've had to become their advocate in a way by going through all their drugs, looking them up, looking up the interactions, side effects, doses uses etc. They are from areas of the country east to west coast and it's always the same. It really seems sometimes like some doctors flat out guess, push drugs, or possibly even purposely mess with them like they get off on it. It really seems that way sometimes how such careless rookie mistakes could be made.
- I always get the "you're not a doctor, what do you know?" response, but the fact (well assuming drug facts and msds and chemical data sheets and study sheets etc aren't fraud) is that with all the people I mentioned the doctors were giving counteracting medications that can sometimes lead to death, lymphoma, heart , blood, liver, kidney conditions etc.
- Often times doctors don't know what is going on between themselves and don't share information or read it even if they do. The responsibitly is put on the sick patient to know everything and constantly bring up all the fine details and issues. A patient that can't even think straight. Elderly people with dimensia getting no help. I think this should be doctor responsibility and there should be legal ramifications for not doing it. The only reason to go to a doctor is for major issues, access to tests and drugs, but the diagnosing should be done by experts in specific fields, not general practitioners. They only give you like 5-10 min and they're write a scrip and they're gone. They don't know anything in that short amount of time and they always fight to get tests done, especially anything involving a scan machine like MRI, xray or somethign like that.

visit 1:
you: "Hey doc, it hurts."
doc: "ok here's an ibuprofen"
visit 2:
you: "that Ibuprofen don't work doc"
doc: "here's somthing stronger. How about a gabby?"
visit 3:
you: " hey doc that still don't work"
doc: " how bout this opiod"
visit 4 thru 24
you " doc those seem to work, but I might need a higher dose"
doc: "here you go"
Visit 25-until relapse or overdose and eventually therapy and detox, jail etc.
you: "doc, it hurts"
doc: "you could try ice and excerise and eating healty if want, I guess, or maybe take an ibuprophen"
you: "those ibuprophens don't work doc"
doc: "well I guess I could give you something a little stronger. Wanna maybe try a gabby again? Hw'd those work for you, huh?"
You: "well, I'd really rather not"
doc: " Ok, well it's your pain. Let me know when you want those, ok?"

- STAY AWAY from all alcohol with all drugs pretty much sums it up. It's no joke and can really kill you or damage you for life. My buddy's dad and another buddy's girlfriend drank on some type of antidepressant they put him/her on and it basically destroyed their liver for life. It wasn't from the alcohol, although he's an alcoholic. It's from the combination of the alcohol and drug become a highly toxic and damging chemical, then you're done. It literally only takes a few times to do big damage. By the time it's recognized you're in the hospital on life support or damaged forever and on some other drugs for that.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Drugs are bad, m'kay.

A lot of antidepressants have off label uses eg pain relief, smoking cessation, sleep aid. It's a legit thing. Lots of drugs have off label uses.
Then again, most nonmedical people wouldn't know that.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't doubt that they do, but that list of uses has a limit. My problem is not with antidepressants on their own when used appropriately, it's the tendency for people to throw drugs at problems instead of addressing them, or even investigating them at all. It shouldn't be the default response without investigating any farther.

Something like behavioural issues with kids -> I've seen parents get overwhelmed (because parenting is hard, it's normal to be overwhelmed), ask for help (which should be a great move), and the assistance they're offered is just to sedate the kids with a bunch of drugs. They don't need drugs, they need their social needs addressed. They need to be listened to and have positive role models and to be engaged.

I know many smokers who have tried all kinds of things that were supposed to help them quit. Maybe there's some drug that can work, but I've yet to see it. Two in particular, a couple who tried to quit at the same time, instead of quitting, the drug they took trashed their moods and they were at eachothers throats, until they gave up the drug and ended up quitting a few years later cold turkey with no assistance because of a health scare.

The appropriateness of a drug is not just what's on the label or what science claims they're supposed to do -> It's also the context you're trying to apply them to. That context is all-too-often ignored.

Is that all anecdotal? Sure it is. But it's a reasonably clear pattern.

Often times doctors don't know what is going on between themselves and don't share information or read it even if they do.
In my experience, this role has always fallen on the pharmacist rather than the doctor. Doc would give you a general prescription, and send you to a pharmacist who would deal with the specifics, work out interactions, etc.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
For sleep aid and general anxiety, Dr. vilk prescribes marijuana. These days they make little mints with high levels of CBD and low levels of THC. It's not like smokin a fatty; more like drinking warm milk.

If only it was that easy. Hell, lately I've been thinking of getting some good olf fashioned chronic off the streets just to see how it works. But afaik, all kinds of marijuana products (even if barely containing any THC) are illegal/not sold here in Finland.

')