Drum Software

• Thread starter Wiz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I was quite impressed by the work that Genghis Tron did on their albums with drum machines. They don't have a drummer and everything is done with software on Windows.

Where would I start if I wanted to slowly work my way up to programming drums till they sound interesting and righteous? What are the most basic software packages out there that a total noob can start working with and that are pretty much goign to be sufficient to build simple drum tracks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Warpticon

Reaction score
I was quite impressed by the work that Genghis Tron did on their albums with drum machines. They don't have a drummer and everything is done with software on Windows.

Where would I start if I wanted to slowly work my way up to programming drums till they sound interesting and righteous? What are the most basic software packages out there that a total noob can start working with and that are pretty much goign to be sufficient to build simple drum tracks?

Hydrogen - advanced drum machine for GNU/Linux

Excellent, and free.

Reactions: Wiz

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I just tried hydrogen thanks to Warpticon, and it's freakin sweet!! I still have to figure some of it out. But I can at least use it without too much trouble. The Windows port appears to be stable/good.

Wiz

Reaction score
Wow that is indeed a sweet program for someone who's never done any drum programming before. Very intuitive.

Shredz

Reaction score
I use a program called EZ Drummer. If your looking to start programming, at home, for example it's a good program. You can choose different drum sizes, mic positions, overheads and ambience. It sounds quite professional.

Also if you like it after that you can also get expansions for proper metal all the way to jazz etc.

Anyway that's my view because I've been using it for ages to create backing tracks to play gigs. So if someone my age can use it then it's easy ... all it requires is a basic knowledge of piano rolls/drum maps.

slay

Reaction score
beatcraft is very user friendly, took my like 45 minutes to figure it out.

')