Drum VSTi routing question

• Thread starter Grooven
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grooven

Reaction score
I've recently started to get into writing songs with VSTi drums instead of using drum tracks on YT. The problem is I've kinda taking a liking to Perfect Drums and the routing is bit wierd to me for example. Kick1-2 hihat 7-8 ok. Now I'm not a drummer so though this may be common knowledge to most if not all it skipped me. Do I route the crashes, China's and splash ,rides also to 7_8 seeing they are cymbals or would that too much? Sorry in advance for the noob question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Usually a drum kit would be mic'd with dedicated mics for;
Kick in
Kick out
Snare top
Snare bottom
Hihat
Tom
Tom
Tom
Overhead L+R

So if you can isolate all of these, it will help with mixing. It's good to have control over the hihat independently of the overheads, even though it's contained within them too.

Grooven

Reaction score
Usually a drum kit would be mic'd with dedicated mics for;
Kick in
Kick out
Snare top
Snare bottom
Hihat
Tom
Tom
Tom
Overhead L+R

So if you can isolate all of these, it will help with mixing. It's good to have control over the hihat independently of the overheads, even though it's contained within them too.
Gotcha so the Crash and all the other stuff are considered Overheads. Thanks for clearing that up dude