Drumkit from Hell / Help needed! :)

• Thread starter guitarzombie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarzombie

Punching your Salad
Reaction score
Well hello there. Just put up Cubase 5 and DFH on my pc. I've already familiarized myself with the built in grooves, etc.

but my question is:
how do i create my own grooves / sequences?
is a midi keyboard needed? :ugh: (because I don't have one)
if it's needed, is there another method?

thanks in advance :) :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Basically you use the piano roll in your DAW.
Start from scratch or modify an existing loop to suit your needs.

No midi keyboard needed.

Second possibility: use a program made to create beats. I've used fruity loops before to create beats which I then used in ezdrummer.

3rd possibility. use a pad or midi keyboard:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yup there you go :) You can also import MIDI that you have written in Guitar Pro, if you are used to composing drums there.

The important thing to understand is that Ezdrummer, and another other MIDI instrument, simply respond to MIDI input from anything.

guitarzombie

Punching your Salad
Reaction score
thanks! appreciate it! it will take me some time, but I've already started writing a drum track to a simple riff. :)

ChuckLee

R.I.P. Chuck
Reaction score
There's absolutely no need to get a midi keyboard.
You just open the grooves, choose a preset that sounds similar to what you're looking for, then drop it into the track and edit it by double-clicking on it. Too simple :)

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
When I'm recording, I use the nearest DFH groove to what I need, duplicate it enough times for the section and add some preset fills from DFH where needed. Once that is done, with MY daw, I select the entire section and press "J" to join all the midi slices/seperate grooves together, then edit it as necessary. On MY daw, if you edit the copies of each groove which is the same, you edit them ALL, so they have to be seperate. I hope you understand what I mean.

When I'm writing drum parts from scratch, I normally put down a set of hats as 8ths or 4ths, whatever is good, then programme snares as 4ths or whatever, then do the detailed kick drums to match guitars and the music. Add some cymbals, listen and fine tune.

Also, try Digital Fish Phones Audio Endrophin Compressor, it's free and great on DFH drums.

Make sure humanization and velocity are set to what you want before you render and the volume is 0db or what you want before you render!

I use a render of DFH so I can remove it as a VSTi to keep working on the track without lag.

I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

')