Drummers - how much tension on bass pedals?

• Thread starter TedEH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Many people said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, I don't want to start a new thread just for this little question since it's semi-related. I've got DW3000's (which I traded for a guitar I had gotten for free a few years ago), and I've barely played them at all. I did the trade, because I thought some crappy double pedals would be better than none if we have some auditioning drummer over or something. So a couple of weeks ago we had a drummer over (who will most likely join our band permanently) and we spent most of our jamming session on fixing the pedals... The right spring just keeps loosening and falling of altogether after a while :/ So what would you guys recommend doing to fix this?
I was gonna try to replace the whole spring holder thing from an Iron Cobra single pedal I have laying around, but of course it didn't fit despite looking very similar :( Today I'm gonna try to swap the nut (which is what keeps loosening) with a normal locking nut, same as I put on my bicycle when its' pedals kept loosening... If that doesn't help, then I'm back on the drawing board.

EDIT: Well, goddamn. Apparently they do sell the whole spring system as replacement parts for just 18,90€... So I might as well just swap out the whole thing if the locking nut doesn't solve my problem.

speed cobras are heavenly

The guy I traded the DW 3000's for also had Speed Cobras, the 3000's were his backup pedals :)

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Good to know there's replacement parts available for those. I've not had any problems with mine though.

Was annoyed the other day though -> We played an out of town show where I used my pedals on someone else's kit, and they had a bunch of duct tape on the kick drum where the beaters hit. It ended up leaving a bunch of adhesive on the beaters, which I had to scrape off because now the beaters were sticking to my kit and not returning. Gross.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
a bunch of duct tape on the kick drum where the beaters hit.

Wow, that sounds pretty cheap :lol: You'd imagine buying a kick pad wouldn't be to big an investment...

Oh and I remembered the model of my pedals wrong, they're 4000's. Don't know whether they're better or worse but they look pretty much exactly the same (and the same spare parts should fit... )

I installed the locking nut yesterday and it seems to have at least temporarily solved the issue. Me and our bass player went to a hardware store with the original nut, and while trying it on different bolts to figure out the size (it ended up being M5) we realized it had some non-stardard threading and therefore didn't fit the bolts even though the diameter was the same. I bought normal M5 locking nuts, and those fit the part on the spring holder... So I guess the threads on the holder are fucked and that's why it kept loosening and falling off. I played the pedals for an hour or so yesterday and it didn't seem to loosen, so I guess it'll do at least temporarily.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've been noticing a pretty bad pattern lately of getting stuck on really bad shells whenever having to play somewhere with a gear sharing situation (which is pretty much always). I don't consider my pedals to be "expensive" compared to what I lot of guys have, but they end up sometimes being the most "pro" piece of the kit on stage, which I think is a bit sad sometimes. It's not uncommon for whoever is running the show to have no idea if there's even a kit available until a few hours before playing, or what's included, etc. Then you get there and it's some beater kit that was pulled out of the garage of the friend of the guy who agreed to do sound cause he's friends with someone, etc ,etc. When you're coming from out of town and need to know how much stuff you're bringing with you, it makes a huge difference. As a guitarist, I found I could wing it more, but as a drummer, I find I'm running lower on patience for super unprofessional show organization. And the fact that nobody seems to care about their shells. :lol:

On one hand I want to say "well, that's metal I guess", but at the same time.... nah, people are legit bad at this sometimes.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Yeah I made the mistake of playing on a shared kit a few times in my Irish punk band, you thought metal bands don't care about their gear :lol: