Drumming

• Thread starter usagi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
Can anybody reccomend some resource for learning how to write good drum loops? Books, website anything. I have a couple of drum programs and anything I write sux. I know nothing about drums.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
gojira is a drum program king, hopefully he'll chime in. I think it helps to understand what's physically possible with a real kit, ie. you've only got two hands and two feet available at any one time.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Vince kicks fucking ass at programming as well.

I on the other hand am miserable at it, hence my album taking 500% longer than anticipated because I have to book studio time with actual drummers.

(Shady lot, them!)

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
I use GuitarPro to write drum loops.

The best way to start, is to listen real close to drum patterns on songs you are familliar with. Look at how they are scructured, how the fills play, etc.. Then try and write your own loops to riffs you've written or familiar riffs.

Reaction score
Im in hell right now actually, the weather's terri
fruity loops man, just update the drum selction or get the producer addition. I use it for everything from deathmetal to hardcore or whatever.. "BORROW" it off of limewire or something or you could pay..uhm... The interface is easy and I even use it to reproduce covers. If your a dud though, u can try hammerhead.. I used to use it MAD years ago. Also, i heard that drums from hell is good.:noplease:

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
:mad: I just got fruity loops. Sadly I'm going to have to get my little brother to show me how to use the damn thing. I'm officially old.:mad:

Reaction score
ok get the producer edition .. and use the FPC setting in the PACKS section .. youll be good.. just try not to get too nuts... Oh yeah and if you want to hear a demonstration of their shit on my shit you can check out my bandsite

http://www.merseybeat.net/studio/bands/632/ :hbang:

.. if you have any questions.. hit me up on this beeeotch, now scuse me .. m e n dipset gotta carry dat snow .

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ryou4Eighty6 said:
steal it off of limewire or something why pay.

Not to be preachy, but please don't recommend software piracy here.

Some of us (cough) actually write software for a living.

Reaction score
Uhm... sim sim salabimbo.... POOF, the quote has been magically altered, god is great, and so is my new osama bin laden gay sex doll !!!! offers are limited! act now!

( doing funky chicken into the sunset ) ... im the king of kewl, yes yes.. no need to bow, the power is yours!

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ryou4Eighty6 said:
Uhm... sim sim salabimbo.... POOF, the quote has been magically altered, god is great, and so is my new osama bin laden gay sex doll !!!! offers are limited! act now!

( doing funky chicken into the sunset ) ... im the king of kewl, yes yes.. no need to bow, the power is yours!

Bro, please post constructively in the music forums. Make all the references to sex dolls you want in Off-Topic, but this is a music website, and I'd like to keep the bulk of the discussion in the music forums relatively on the level.

mazafaka

Relentless Bastard
Reaction score
I am trying to get a handle on creating drum tracks myself. Mine don't sound *bad*, just very plain. I need some instruction on fills and spicing up the patterns. Anyone know of a basic drumming primer for non-drummers?

mazafaka

Relentless Bastard
Reaction score
Drew said:
This is a good place to start... :agreed:

Although I have listened to the album plenty, I guess I've never listened to it specifically for the drums. I tend to focus on the guitars (imagine that). I know it goes to the guitarist stereotype somewhat, but the hardest part of playing for me is keeping in precise time. I hate that fricking metronome!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh god, you're in for a treat. Kill the lights, crank your stereo, and blast the title track, listening to the cymbol fills on the breakdown. He's studied indian tabla playing for the last seven or eight years, and it really influenced the way he phrases - he's so much more "circular" than any other rock drummer I've heard.

Danny Carey >.* If I could work with any drummer alive, he'd be the one. :agreed:

chris9

Reaction score
i,m not very good at using computer stuff so i learnt to play drum my self i,m not great but i get by i play in a band and i ant droped a beat yet so i can,t be that bad. propper drums always sound better as well !!!!

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
What I do is listen to Dream Theater songs, and just air drum to it (I know that sounds silly but it works).

For example, I listen to "These Walls" and just give it a good listen through. Pay attention to whether the hi-hat is closed or open. Pay attention to litle accents, like hitting bells instead of the outer part of the cymbal. Pay especially close attention to the fills. If you break the parts down, they aren't quite as complex and overwhelming as they first appear to be.

Another thing that alot of "Non-drummers" fail to do, is accent crash-cymbals with a kick-drum note at the same time. Don't do it on every one, but it helps fill the void left when you just hit the crash by itself.

mazafaka

Relentless Bastard
Reaction score
7stringninja said:
Another thing that alot of "Non-drummers" fail to do, is accent crash-cymbals with a kick-drum note at the same time. Don't do it on every one, but it helps fill the void left when you just hit the crash by itself.

I was noticing the same thing when listening to Lateralus (per Drew's suggestion) this weekend. But the parts do seem pretty overwhelming. It does make me feel better to think that I just need to figure it out and program it instead of actually playing it.

widdly

Reaction score
If you have a midi keyboard, try playing your drum patterns on that. You can do it in two passes if you can't do the hi-hat and bass patterns at the same time. If find actually playing in patterns sound much more lively than programmed ones. You can also record it at a lower tempo if you can't keep up to speed. The dynamics and timing will be much "groovier" than patterns.

I bought a second hand electronic kit recently and use it to record drums now. I use it with BFD and it sounds amazing. The snare rattles a bit when you hit the toms....amazing! You could buy one of those cheap kiddy all in one drum pads that have four pads and a foot pedal plug. As long as it has a midi out, you can use it with nice samples on the pc to get more human drums happening.

mazafaka

Relentless Bastard
Reaction score
widdly said:
If you have a midi keyboard, try playing your drum patterns on that.

I have a Trigger Finger that works pretty well for playing patterns, although the included software (Enigma) blows. It's all based off MIDI over USB instead of a full computer-like interface. It *could* have an editor like Line 6's patch editor for Pod XT Live, but M-Audio's solution is decidely retro, and not in a good way.

I think I am going to pick up Battery 2 and the original Drumkit From Hell. It sounds like a more versatile, easy solution than either BFD or DFH Superior. I will sacrifice a bit of uber-realism for ease-of-use and versatility. The combo of B2 + DFH (at my student price) is about $180 including shipping, so I will save a bit of money too.

Any of you guys use a Trigger Finger?

Latest posts

')