DT's "Octavarium"

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Makelele

Reaction score
I've also listened to DT for years, and I own all their CD's so it isn't like I don't know what I'm talking about.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
SevenatoR said:
Best overall since Awake, IMHO. Falling Into Infinity had some moments, though....

I agree. FII had their best songwriting IMO, especially on the second half of the disc, and Awake had their best cohesive sound, lyrics, mood, etc.

Octavarium is a great CD, but I'm dissapointed by Petrucci on it. His tone is more hardcore than metal, and he's not really playing many lead parts on the disc. He let the keyboardist step out from under his shadow, and that's something you never want to do with one of those because like martians they just f'n take over. A little less Rudess and a little more Petrucci on this disc and it would've been one for the ages.

Having said that, tracks 2-4 absolutely rule. "These Walls" could've been on the Awake album, what a great song.

Drew said:
EDIT - just checked your profile. You weren't even born when "When Dream and Day Unite" was released. Nevermind.

holy shit, that dude is ahead of me! Born in the 90s and already playing 7-string :lol:

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
Drew said:
I think the way you're rubbing people the wrong way here, bro, is the "I've been a fan for a long time and own X number of CD's, so I'm right."
Oh no... great. This is a great way to make a first impression. Pretend I didn't say anything. I did not mean it like that whatsoever. I'm just saying, since I've heard more of their material, I would expect more material of that quality to be released.

Why the hell did I post that...I'm such an idiot. :noplease:

desertdweller said:
holy shit, that dude is ahead of me! Born in the 90s and already playing 7-string
Actually, 1989.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I actually like his tone on this disc - I think Leon was the one who made the joke about Petrucci rediscovering his midrange knob on this one. :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tubbs Mcgee said:
Oh no... great. This is a great way to make a first impression. Pretend I didn't say anything. I did not mean it like that whatsoever. I'm just saying, since I've heard more of their material, I would expect more material of that quality to be released.

Why the hell did I post that...I'm such an idiot. :noplease:

Don't worry dude, as the resident post-whore I'll have plenty of time to form a mreo in-depth opinion of you. :D Welcome aboard, don't be self-conscious or anything, be yourself, and you'll fit in perfectly with this bunch of idiots and drunks and looneys that populate this place. :wavey: :D

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
Okay... that makes me feel much better. :yesway:

I just have to using my wording a little more carefully, though...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Don't worry dude, as the resident post-whore I'll have plenty of time to form a mreo in-depth opinion of you. :D Welcome aboard, don't be self-conscious or anything, be yourself, and you'll fit in perfectly with this bunch of idiots and drunks and looneys that populate this place. :wavey: :D

Being nice to the n00bs, I deem you false. :flex:

Man, I love that new emoticon... :lol:

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
noodles said:
Aww, dammit. I just got out of being called a n00b on the Ultimate Metal Forums, when I made my 1500th post... now I have to be a n00b again?

Oh well. :flame: <--- Random smiley

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tubbs Mcgee said:
Aww, dammit. I just got out of being called a n00b on the Ultimate Metal Forums, when I made my 1500th post... now I have to be a n00b again?

Oh well. :flame: <--- Random smiley

Little hint - this isn't the ultimate metal forum. :D

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tubbs Mcgee said:
I don't know... I'm just thinking, since I've heard so much of their stuff and been a fan of them for several years, that Octavarium was just poor work.

And I definitely don't think those solos are crap.

(I don't like disagreeing with people but since I've been on the Ultimate Metal Forums so much, I'm kind of used to it.)

So...:yesway: yeah...

Because nobody on this forum listens to any DT, at all, ever. Really. I'm serious. Who's John Petrucci?

[action=Chris]really loves it when new people show up and start posting as pretentious know-it-alls who have come here to enlighten us all.[/action]

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
You don't like me... okay well, like I said, you can just pretend I never said any of that stuff... I should have thought before I posted.

:(

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't really put my finger on it but I just didn't enjoy Octavarium as a whole. It's really funny, when I first heard Images & Words I became a huge fan. I used to tell people that if wrote anything the quality of Awake I'd be ready to die happily. Each sequential album I got less and less impressed.

There are bits and parts of each release since that I like but as a whole I'm just really into the classic era. My honest gut feeling is that somewhere along the line they just lost who they were and the CD's now have such a cover band kind of feel to them.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Tubbs Mcgee said:
You don't like me... okay well, like I said, you can just pretend I never said any of that stuff... I should have thought before I posted.

It's the Internet, dude, don't take it that seriously. Chris just called you out on some stuff, you said sorry, and trust me, he's probably no longer thinking about it. :cool:

In the future, maybe you shouldn't jump into a new board with both guns blazing. :lol:

[action=Noodles]hasn't really liked anything DT has done since Kevin Moore left. He just stayed out of it because it's a touchy subject.[/action]

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't have been so straight-forward when I came here, I guess it's because I've been on that other forum every day for the past few months and people are used to the way I act.

So let's just see how it turns out.

Umm... Dream Theater's Octavarium was okay. :yesway:

')