DT's "Octavarium"

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tubbs Mcgee said:
Umm... Dream Theater's Octavarium was okay. :yesway:

:noway: Recanting is un-metal. Feel free to dislike Octavarium all you want, just don't try to "prove" your opinion is "more right" than anyone else's, especially when you're talkiing about a band that's been together longer than you have. :lol:

I've never even read the Ultimate Metal forums, so I can't speak for them, but we've got a very low bullshit tolerance as a community here, both our members and our mods. Coming in and making an ass out of yourself's not a problem as long as you learn from your mistakes. Those who do become part of the community, those who don't generally leave of their own volition (cause we're fuckin' merciless), or occasionally flame out in a blaze of glory and get get suspended and banned (incidentally, we've banned like 8 total people since this forum's been up, and most of them were one- or two-post spammers. We really self-police more than moderate).

So, when you get repremanded, just keep your ears open and learn, and you'll do just fine. :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know what it is, but I like absolutely every DT song I've ever heard, maybe not 2 or 3 of them. I like ToT, Awake, SDoT, and SFaM the most.

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
Drew said:
:noway: Recanting is un-metal. Feel free to dislike Octavarium all you want, just don't try to "prove" your opinion is "more right" than anyone else's, especially when you're talkiing about a band that's been together longer than you have. :lol:

I've never even read the Ultimate Metal forums, so I can't speak for them, but we've got a very low bullshit tolerance as a community here, both our members and our mods. Coming in and making an ass out of yourself's not a problem as long as you learn from your mistakes. Those who do become part of the community, those who don't generally leave of their own volition (cause we're fuckin' merciless), or occasionally flame out in a blaze of glory and get get suspended and banned (incidentally, we've banned like 8 total people since this forum's been up, and most of them were one- or two-post spammers. We really self-police more than moderate).

So, when you get repremanded, just keep your ears open and learn, and you'll do just fine. :agreed:
Well, to be honest I do think Dream theater's Octavarium is okay, in a nutshell. I actually do listen to it occasionally and enjoy it.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying everything.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Everything? I've barely got started, wait to you hear my theory on the evolutionary benefits of capital punishment. :lol:

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
I love all the DT CDs except "WDADU" (the recording quality of it hurts... i want to get a live version to reevalutate it) and FII (b/c I don't have it yet). Although I place Octavarium on the lower rungs of my favorite DT album ladder, it always gives me the best pleasant surprise when i listen to it. it's probably because i am originally a piano player (this is rudesses's best DT album IMO, feel free to disagree)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I enjoyed Octavarium myself. I think 'These Walls' and 'Panic Attack' are terrific songs. In particular, the song 'Hot Shot City' I found to be especially inspiring.

Welcome aboard, Tubbs, BTW. :wavey:

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
Hey thanks, I'll make sure the safety is on next time I come in with 2 guns. :D

...Hot Shot City???

FoxMustang

Reaction score
Christopher said:
I can't really put my finger on it but I just didn't enjoy Octavarium as a whole.
Same here. Taken as a whole, I think it's an "okay" CD, but I don't find myself coming back to it like Awake or A Change of Seasons or Falling Into Infinity. I like "Root of All Evil" and "These Walls" quite a bit, but they don't seem to get into my head like a lot of DT's other stuff.

For me, I think (like Vince said) the whole album is a little too much Rudess and not enough Petrucci.

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
DT is my favorite band of all time, and it's pretty safe for me to say, they probably will be for a VERY LONG TIME.

I've been listening to them since circa 1992-1993 or so. I was about 10 years old and my dad borrowed I&W from a friend at work. I must have listened to this CD constantly for almost a year. I've been an addict ever since.

JP is by far my biggest musical influence, and I give him credit for my switch to a 7-string. The stuff this guy writes and plays has inspired me overall to be a better musician.

Having said all that, I must say, "Octavarium" is an incredible album. But I'll be honest - it took the longest of ANY of their albums for me to really LOVE it. Upon first listen, I was totally disappointed. I basically threw it aside, and put "Train of Thought" back in, and told myself "I can't wait for the NEXT one".

A few months later, I met a guy who also liked DT alot, and he kept making references to tracks on Octavarium, and I felt out of the loop. So, afterwhile, it made its way back into my rotation. FINALLY, I developed a true-love for this album, just like I have for every other album DT has ever released.

But, it's by far not my favorite - Although, I hesitate to say what exactly my favorite is. It's too close between "Metrop Pt. 2", "I&W", "Train of Thought", and "ACOS". ACOS is probably ranked highest currently.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it sucked, until I forced myself to listen all the way through the CD. Then it blew my mind and I was in love. I wouldn't say it's their best stuff... that's taking it a bit too far...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My favorite Dream Theater albums:

#1 Metropolis Part II - Scenes from a Memory
#2 Awake
#3 Train of Thought
#4 Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
#5 A Change of Seasons
#6 Octavarium
#7 Images and Words

the other two are just "ok," even though Hell's Kitchen, Peruvian Skies, and Hollow Years were good, they weren't mind-blowingly awesome to me. How'd I end up with nine total?! :lol:

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
bostjan said:
My favorite Dream Theater albums:

#1 Metropolis Part II - Scenes from a Memory
#2 Awake
#3 Train of Thought
#4 Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
#5 A Change of Seasons
#6 Octavarium
#7 Images and Words

the other two are just "ok," even though Hell's Kitchen, Peruvian Skies, and Hollow Years were good, they weren't mind-blowingly awesome to me. How'd I end up with nine total?! :lol:

Tisk tisk. No mention of When Dream and Day Unite? The oh-so-popular Ytse Jam included, although it lacked Labrie's help, I still think When Dream and Day is awesome.

And I agree with your criticism of Falling into Infinity. It's my least favorite by far, but there are some songs on there that I LOVE, so my low ranking of that album is still high when compared to most other bands. "Lines in the Sand" rocks.

')