Dual or triple rectifier?

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
I am not sure which one of these amps i should get. Im looking at the 3 channel solo heads. Is there a tone difference between the two? Im not sure if i will need the extra 50 watt power difference. Help me out here. thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Both have the characteristic Recto tone - cut low mids, plenty of upper mids, fizzy highs and a booming low end. Can be dialed loose or tight. The main difference is the headroom. So, the Triple will be a little tighter and more open sounding. The Triple will be marginally louder, but since we're talking valves it is pretty insignificant. All valve amps can be very loud.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Play both, buy the one you like the best. :agreed:

I will say, there's more to the tone of the two than just +/- 50 watts. The Triple has more punch and cuts like a knife, while the Dual tends to be a little fatter sounding with more lows.

Volume wise, you simply won't hear a difference. The human ear simply isn't acute enough to find one louder than the other overall.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
I hope i can find a triple around to play. From the different videos ive seen, the triple sounds clearer. They are both around the same price so i guess ill just find one to play so i can decide.

How do you feel about buying used? Is it worth the extra money to buy it new or should i find a good cheaper one? What are your experiences with ebay on amps? Should i wait for a reputable person on here to put one up?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as it's in good shape buying Mesas used is a great option. They're some great folks when it comes to customer service and really stand behind their product. I bought my Single Rec used but they still stayed on the phone with me for nearly two hours trying to troubleshoot an issue (tube related, not the amp's fault).

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a Triple, personally. Max pretty much has the tonal difference nailed. The extra 50W changes the tone moreso than the volume. I think the Triple sits better in a band mix.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
I'm all over the dual as long as you have a cool cabinet to match. Its always fun to dial the gain way back and make yourself work for it by playing harder, something i think the dual lends itself to more nicely than the trirec. Triples still rule.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score

I like this video, the demonstrator isn't just play shitty blues licks like every other guitar video that isn't metal related. Its always either honky blues stuff not worth listening to or mindless shred bonanzas in these kinds of videos, its really nice to see him changing it up. He covers more than one (crowded) base.

Even when he plays bluesy stuff, its a little different! I'm gonna check this guy out.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Triple...

More rectifiers more fun.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Am I the only one that likes the Dual better? :shrug:
Depends what you're playing. The Triple I use seems to have a tendency to be a bit tighter in "modern" mode Channel 3 and 2. I personally use Channel 2 as my main because it sounds a bit thicker which some say the dual is thicker sounding. Now is that true I don't know. I haven't spent much time with duals. But I do know Channel 2 on a triple is nice and tight and thick sounding when pushed with my OD ( ZW by MXR if you're wondering).

Shaman

Reaction score
It depends.

I sold my 3channel Triple Rectifier for a Multi-Watt Dual Rectifier, and I like the Multi-watt Dual more.

My friend had a 3channel Dual the same time I had my 3chan Triple, and out of those two, the Triple did sound a bit more brutal.

So, I go with the multi-watt Dual Recto, but out of the older heads I would get the Triple.

Reaction score
there is only a few decibels between 50 100 and 150 watts... so if your leaning towards the triple because of the extra watts then dont bother...

There is a difference between all 3 rectos but in the end your gona get great sounds from all 3..

good luck

Latest posts

')