Dual Rec vs Fryette GP3?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Just like the title says.

I have a chance to get a GP3 pre amp :metal:

I don't have the $1100-1200 the guy wants, so I was thinking about a trade.

My Mesa dual rec (older 2 channel small logo one) plus a cheaper Randall cab and a guitar (like $300-400).

Am I getting screwed/is this a bad deal? I mean I'm willing to lose a little bit if I'm happier in the end.

I know they are two different beasts, but the GP3s never come around and my GAS is out of control ATM.

Any opinions are appreciated!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
In my opinion as far as value goes, you are loosing out.

I've seen the GP3s go for $1000 and the two channel duals on their lowest are $800. That plus your cab should do it. I wouldn't add the guitar in there.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
Well in terms of tone I think the Recto and GP3 couldn't be further apart (judging by what I've heard of the GP3, and I used to own a Roadster which supposedly sounds similar to the older 2 channel Rectos). Again, supposedly the old 2 channel Rectos sounded "better," but if you commit and don't like the GP3 what you gunna do? Can you try the GP3 first?

Don't forget as well that the preamp will require a power amp in order to get loud as well!

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Well in terms of tone I think the Recto and GP3 couldn't be further apart (judging by what I've heard of the GP3, and I used to own a Roadster which supposedly sounds similar to the older 2 channel Rectos). Again, supposedly the old 2 channel Rectos sounded "better," but if you commit and don't like the GP3 what you gunna do? Can you try the GP3 first?

Don't forget as well that the preamp will require a power amp in order to get loud as well!

Yeah I should be able to try it out. He also has a Mesa 50/50 power amp, I was going to see if I could basically do a rig swap (Dual rec plus cab for GP3 and power amp).

Also I guess I could always sell the GP3 to cure other GAS problems :lol:

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
Yeah I should be able to try it out. He also has a Mesa 50/50 power amp, I was going to see if I could basically do a rig swap (Dual rec plus cab for GP3 and power amp).

Also I guess I could always sell the GP3 to cure other GAS problems :lol:

Ah, but then would you still have a cab to play through? :fawk:

I know that personally I would prefer the VHT/Mesa 50-50 combo, as while the Roadster I had sounded great for a Recto, even a boost didn't get me the tones I wanted.

At the end of the day, if you try it and love it, think about what you'd prefer playing rather than monetary loss/gain.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Ah, but then would you still have a cab to play through? :fawk:

I know that personally I would prefer the VHT/Mesa 50-50 combo, as while the Roadster I had sounded great for a Recto, even a boost didn't get me the tones I wanted.

At the end of the day, if you try it and love it, think about what you'd prefer playing rather than monetary loss/gain.

Yes, I would be giving him my lower valued/worse one :cool:

I'm deff trying to get the whole rig after running the numbers :yesway:

titan amps

Reaction score
if you gig, you need to think about channel switching. the GP3 *can* be switched with latching footswitches, but i suggest you take one with you to demo the pre...i had to swap an SMD resistor and capacitor that were improperly placed on the one i had to make the latching footswitches work.

myampslouder

Reaction score
Definitely try it first. the gp3 is based on the Pittbull UL preamp. They are pretty much the total opposite of a rectifier. Rectos sound huge with lots of saturation and thump. The GP3 is very tight and dry with lots of clarity. They dont chug like a recto they have a really tight and percussive tone.

phonix

Reaction score
What kind of music do you play and what kind of sound do you like?

Is the GP3 gain modded at all? I gain modded mine (rhythm and lead channels only I like the clean channel as it is) and pushed it a little further than the official mod from Fryette. I now no longer need a boost pedal for high gain stuff, it absolutely slays. The rhythm channel is warmer now it gets some awesome chunky tones, what I'm saying I guess is it's a super flexible preamp. Cleans are really nice too.

The GP3 is actually based on both UL and Pitbull hundred/CLX preamp sections. With some tweaking I have it on good authority (guy owned both at the same time and A/B'd them) that you can make it sound like an UL if you want that. I can get that really grindy drive like Helmet, or more saturated for when I play melodic death like In Flames, or even metalcore like ABR etc. Needed gain modding IMO to do proper heavy but YMMV.

They do tend to sound best with a Fryette power amp, I run the 2/90/2. I think Mesa power amps colour the sound too much, I want my tone to come from the guitar and pre and I want the power amp to deliver a huge clear tone but you may like the mesa since you have a recto already.

Any questions about the pre or the mod, whatever, get in touch.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
That said, isn't $1200 a bit steep in the US for a GP3?

Yeah it is, but where I live you do not see these. Craigslist is gull garbage gear.

Anyways the guy wouldn't trade with me. Even though he would have made out like a bandit :lol:

As far as tones go, I like all different kinds.... I love the mesa tones for what they are, but I have recently been in the mood for something extremely dry.

I play blackened death metal and metalcore. And I have always wanted to try a vht/fryette for it.

When I record right now I run a metal master into my interface into an impulse :lol:

I don't have any mics and my neighbors are really freaking closer to me so micing a can is out of the question. Luckily my dual rec sounds amazing at low volumes.

phonix

Reaction score
Damn too bad they're a nice bit of gear. I hear of ultraleads coming up at guitar centre or whatever that place is called that does used gear, maybe keep an eye out for one and just buy it, youtube and sound clips give you a reasonable idea of the sound they deliver, if you like it then you'll probably love it in person.

Latest posts

')