Dual Rectal-Fire or 6505+?

• Thread starter ZeroTolerance94
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
Guitar Center has a 30 day return policy. Buy the Dual Rec, play it for a month. If you don't absolutely love it take it back for a complete refund, buy a 6505+ and do the same thing. Or buy them both at the same time and return the one you like the least.

Do also try and play a Savage if you can.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
You'll find a better deal on a Recto through someone local like craigslist or a local music forum.

Recto will be slightly harder to dial in, but has a good variety of tones on tap. Personally I would try to get the Savage, but that's just me. I'm def an ENGL guy. A Savage to me sounds like a tighter 5150/6505 with more variety of tones and having built in MIDI is an awesome feature.

SpaseMoonkey

Reaction score
Engl Savage is not very Recto-ish, IME.

But the bottom line for this thread is that you shouldn't be paying $1,500 for a used Rectifier. Look for a much better deal.

Truth, I bought a Triple a few years ago for I believe $1000. I just searched GuitarCenter's used database average price looks to be $900.

vansinn

Reaction score
I had to re-read the thread title twice.. I mean, Dual Rectal... :spock: that sounds like quite some amp for kickin' some serious ass :lol:

Anyways, I think the Dual Recto would be the more flexible amp.

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
Not all Rectos are created equal!!!

Seriously, if you love the one you played buy it. There are many versions not to mention tube combinations that make the variations limitless. I have had many and own 3, I have to have the right tube combinations in each to make them sound the best. Each one responds to the same tubes differently.

Choose wisely or spend more money fine tuning later.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
The dual rec is an amazing amp, and even though all of the amps you've mentioned are fantastic, it's probably the most versatile out of those. With a boost it can get pretty tight when you want, but it's very good at replicating other sounds too. Also you'd have the option to try more varieties of tubes, so there is that too!

DaemonRage

Shred Till You're Dead!
Reaction score
I had the 6505+ head before and found it limited in tones. Great hi gain, but terrible for a good clean tone. When I played mostly Thrash/Death Metal, that was my head of choice. But once I got a hold of Dual Rec, much more versatile for playing a lot more genres. But it takes some time to dial in the perfect tone for your own ears. I'd stick to the Mesa although that is a bit high on a used one. Mesas hold old their resale value for sure IMO. Never played an Engl so I have no opinion on those...

ZeroTolerance94

Reaction score
Went back to the store yesterday to throw some more cash at it and play it again for a couple hours.

I originally tried it out with my Jackson SLX soloist 6 string, w/ Duncan Distortion, in standard D, .09-.42 strings, and it sounded absolutely phenomenal. It was amazing. Blew me away. Put it on layaway it sounded so good.

I went back yesterday to try it out with my Ibanez Iron Label 7 string. Swapped the EMG bridge pup with a Duncan SH-5 Custom 7 String, tuned A# standard on .09-.42+.56, and through the Mesa it still sounded great. Not as tight as my Jackson 6 string, but still very amazing. I was blown away.

Local GC had a KM-7 on the wall, I just had to try it out with the Mesa. And it sounded like complete shit. It was very muddy sounding. I tried tweaking the settings on the Mesa and it still sounded like garbage. I noticed the strings on it were pretty old, high strings were black with corrosion... so i'll attribute it to that.

All I could think though when playing through it with my Ibanez, is that I probably will need an OD in front of it. It wasn't as tight sounding as my Jackson...
Anybody know anything about the Maxon ST-9 OD pedal? Besides the fact that Rob Barrett from Cannibal Corpse uses it, coincidentally on a Mesa Dual Rec. :lol:
What other OD pedals would someone recommend to use with a dual rec?

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
Here is a quote from myself that I wrote in another thread. All applies the Mesa.

Originally Posted by Dead-Pan
I have an od808, od808x, od9pro+ and a Hardwire CM-2. All are awesome with the Kemper and have their own personality.

od9pro+ is capable of crushing low palm mutes in the likes of Acacia Strain etc.

od808 is a classic boost with the mid hump. Helps get that older raw Recto/5150 tone.

od808x is a bit more refined than the original has slightly more lows, less mids and a ton more highs. Plus it has more output which is helpful for lower power pickups and metal. Really like this pedal, super tight!

cm-2 is a mix of all of these as it has treble, bass controls along with the modified switch and a ton of output. The bad for this pedal is it has a slightly digital sound to it. I like the pedal and it is a great versatile piece but the high end is slightly artificial for me.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
If you're new to boosting a Recto, start with the Maxon OD808 IMHO. That's pretty much the benchmark, and then look into other pedals if you want something a bit different.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If you're new to boosting a Recto, start with the Maxon OD808 IMHO. That's pretty much the benchmark, and then look into other pedals if you want something a bit different.

Yep. I used an 808 with my old Rectifier and it helped a LOT with tightening it up and adding definition.

gujukal

Reaction score
I'll say it once more, BUY the EVH 5153. It's probably the most versatile (real) amp out there. The clean channel is like a real nice Fender amp, and the high gain channel sounds close to the 5150 but better imo. The 50 watt version is pretty affordable new also and is perfect for both using live and at home.

antuni

Reaction score
Go with the Recto but you can find a better deal on reverb and other forums. I saw a Triple and Dual Multiwatt for $1200-1300.

I use mxr classic od (white) and a mesa eq in front of the amp. sounds great

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
+1 on the Dual Rectum Fryer... You already put 50% down on it. Your gut was leading you the right way that day. You're only second guessing because you have to wait for it. :D

')