Dual rig. 6505 w/4x12 dual rec w/2x12 cab placement/overpowering question

Gmork

Reaction score
i play a peavey 6505 through a 4x12 w/V30s. i just got a dual rectifier and
plan to split my signal to both amps simultaneously.
i was thinking about just getting a 2x12 for the dual rec and stacking it all
together. i figure the 2x12 would be best on top of the 4x12,
whats your opinion on placement? and will it get over powered by the 6505 w/ 4x12? i suppose if it does i could just turn it up a bit. also does anyone have experience with running a dual amp rig just using a boss LS2 at gigging volumes? and if so how did it work out for you?
as always thanks for the replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
I can't really help you with 2 amps but I can say I ran 2 different 2 x12s stacked for a while. One Mesa and one local made , both had v30s and the one on top was def always dominant in a big way standing in front of it.

FarticusMaximus

Reaction score
I ran a dual rig for a while which was a dual rec and a JCM800 into a 1960a cab with 2xV30 and 2xG12T75 in x-formation.

The 1960a has switching to allow it to run it as a pair of 2x12's side-by-side. Should be a simple enough job to convert any 4x12 to flexible switching.

Sounded humonstrous, but lugging about 2 amps got to be a real chore.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
If you're getting another cab run em side by side. If not split your cab into stereo if its not switchable.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I would recommend not trying to run a 4x12 cab in stereo with two different amps, especially if it's a closed cab. Because they will process the signal differently, and maybe not be in phase directly, you can do some damage (since the speakers will be fighting each other with the internal air pressure). Just my two cents.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
There's always vertical 2x12 cabs you can use which offer independent cabs for each head, but can still give you (sort of) a half-stack aesthetic.

I feel like this is worth figuring out, because in my opinion the 5150/6505s and Rectos are made for each other... like brothers from different mothers.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Right off the bat, excellent move, these amps sound amazing together.
This is what I would do, the Mesa is low end heavy and more scooped sounding, so the sound will carry differently. The Peavey is more mid-heavy and articulate.
Mesa to the 2x12" on the bottom, Peavey to the 4x12" on top. Should sound insane. I used to run a 2x15" below a 4x12" and the effect is close, but with two amps dialed in together it will be way better.
In an ideal world, 2 4x12s side by side would be optimal. I've run a Mesa and Peavey into the same 4x12 and it sounds awesome, but getting that sound together means you will probably have to EQ them blindfolded, those settings might look ugly if you think about it instead of hear it. Very different amps, but they work really well together.

EDIT: I switched my old 4x12 from split sides to split top and bottom, very easy switch. If you did this, a bottom/top stereo split will make way, way, way more sense.

Reaction score
I ran a dual rig for a while which was a dual rec and a JCM800 into a 1960a cab with 2xV30 and 2xG12T75 in x-formation.

The 1960a has switching to allow it to run it as a pair of 2x12's side-by-side. Should be a simple enough job to convert any 4x12 to flexible switching.

Sounded humonstrous, but lugging about 2 amps got to be a real chore.

If the 4x12 cab allows, i'd go this way... but then again 2 amp heads carrying arround... probably worth an Axe FX or a Kemper...

Bearitone

Reaction score
Holy ..... My dream rig is a triple rec and 6505 each going into their own 4x12.

Why don't you use two 4x12s? Have each ofamp going into its own cab and use an ABY box somewhere in the chain to split the signal. Simple, effective, POWERFUL

Gmork

Reaction score
well thats what im doing i just figure it will be easier to get an extra 2x12 around rather than 2 4x12! but ya never know, i might find a good deal on a 4x12. that would be ideally what i want.

Gmork

Reaction score
im a strapping young lad, i wouldnt have a problem transporting the dual rec and a 2x12. i realize in this technically advanced day and age it might be a bit impractical and i could just get a fancy hightech amp modeller. call me old fashioned but i just dont think it has quite the same effect as being on stage with my 6505/dual rec 1 1/2 stack or god forbid full stack :D

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
well thats what im doing i just figure it will be easier to get an extra 2x12 around rather than 2 4x12! but ya never know, i might find a good deal on a 4x12. that would be ideally what i want.

This. Even at a measly $300 it took 3 months for me to sell my Marshall 1960BV. Not a friendly time to sell gear, but it is a good time to buy. That and 412s seem to be going out of fashion with all the gadgets.

Bearitone

Reaction score
You could... Get two 3x12s. Omega makes them.

Having two badass amps like that I would want both with an equal amount of speakers. Neither one outshining the other but that's all just my preference

Edit: my bad. They make a 3x12 plus 1x15. Not a stand alone 3x12

Gmork

Reaction score
wow a 3x12 for each would be awesome! and yeah, id like to have equal cabs for both amps. space is a concern for me. maybe i should think about selling my 4x12 and get 2 2x12. but man it would be awesome to have that set up with 2 4x12s.

Bearitone

Reaction score
If weight, not space, is an issue you could get DV mark 4x12s. I think they weigh like 40 pounds! They're super lightweight because they use neodymium magnets. Fluff and Ola both use them in quite a few videos and they sound good to me

Gmork

Reaction score
ok friends, well turns out im totally doing this the badass way. i found a behringer bk4x12h cab for $100 :D i cant believe it lol. 6505, dual rec, two 4x12s!!! im on the west coast. hope i dont kick start "the big one" lol.