Dubstep/Surf with an 8-String!

surge247

Goofy Foot
Reaction score
Hey dudes! I just released my first song as a (don't kill me!) pop artist. I've played metal for a long while now but had this idea a few months ago. Surf rock used baritone guitars, and lots of music (especially top 40) is putting a heavy focus on deep dance beats and stuff, so I thought it'd be cool to use my 8 string to write a pop song. All guitar parts on the song were played with my 8 stringer :) i don't use the low string too often but on the next few songs I"m releasing like this, I'm going to do some sweet baritone riffage, let me know what you think!

Goofy Foot - "Stay Gold" - YouTube

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mediaguitarist

Reaction score
You know what? I like it... I really like it. I know you're calling it pop but it doesn't register that way to me. It's kinda like you've put together a sound that to me is very unique. I like the deeper drum beat style you built around. I wasn't sure what to expect from the surf/baritone combo but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the song. I'll go ahead and say it, keep this up man, I think you're on to something. If you have a soundcloud page post a link so I can follow your upcoming work. I want to see more of this.

jeleopard

Reaction score
I dig it.

I don't hear much "surf" to it (I don't know a lot of surf, I just think Dick Dale when I hear "surf rock"...) but none the less I really dig it. Gonna share this.

surge247

Goofy Foot
Reaction score
You know what? I like it... I really like it. I know you're calling it pop but it doesn't register that way to me. It's kinda like you've put together a sound that to me is very unique. I like the deeper drum beat style you built around. I wasn't sure what to expect from the surf/baritone combo but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the song. I'll go ahead and say it, keep this up man, I think you're on to something. If you have a soundcloud page post a link so I can follow your upcoming work. I want to see more of this.

thanks so much man!! I really appreciate the love, definitely more to come soon! my soundcloud is soundcloud.com/goofyfootsd and my facebook page is facebook.com/goofyfootsd

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I like it alot but what context are you talking about surf? I think of like early 60's surf/garage rock (the trashmen, or The Ventures etc). Is there another genre called surf?

surge247

Goofy Foot
Reaction score
I like it alot but what context are you talking about surf? I think of like early 60's surf/garage rock (the trashmen, or The Ventures etc). Is there another genre called surf?

yea, that's my bad. I had the instrumental finished for months before finally recording my vocals on it. The instrumental had surf-influenced sections that still made it to the final version, but I had to eq a lot of it to the background since it was overpowering the vocals, which was a bummer. I've just been so used to telling people about a "dubstep/surf" song I made, I keep forgetting I'm the only dude that can hear it in the song still aha. Ill upload the instrumental when I get home from work so you can see what I was talking about.

')