Dubsteppy Work in Progress

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth-150x150.jpg

Good news, everyone!

Breaking another few months of severe writer's block, I started sketching out this dubsteppy number last night. Ableton Suite 8.2, no VSTs; only Ableton devices used. (The 'Analog' synth is :metal:)

If you guys don't want me to post this kind of material on this forum (there's no guitar in it) just let me know and I will happily oblige, and will completely understand if any mod wants to delete or lock this thread as such. I just wanted to share here 'cause you guys are awesome, whereas my old EDM production forum was apparently where bad trolls go to die. :lol:

All feedback is welcome, and I'm always more than happy to discuss any production techniques used. :wub:

This is actually the first tune I've ever posted @ soundclick, so it's easy to find:

SoundClick artist: synrgy - drum n bass // electronic music // dj // producer

bender-applause-150x150.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score
1. I have no idea what Dubstep is.
2. This makes me think of hot chicks touching themselves (I'm sure the female moaning had nothing to do with that).
3. I like things that make me think of hot chicks touching themselves.
4. There is no reason for me to have numbered this post.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
^
Dubstep exists to convince you that your subwoofer is inadequate and that you can never listen to too many wobblers.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
1. I have no idea what Dubstep is.
2. This makes me think of hot chicks touching themselves (I'm sure the female moaning had nothing to do with that).
3. I like things that make me think of hot chicks touching themselves.
4. There is no reason for me to have numbered this post.

1. For the long winded version, go here: Dubstep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For my 'condensed' version:

It's pretty much like most genres of electronic music, but sets itself apart with it's slower tempos, extra emphasis on the bass sounds as the primary element, and implied half-time beats. Going even simpler, to me, it's more or less really slow Drum N Bass, which is my primary genre of choice when it comes to electronic.

2. Yeah. I was kinda going for that. The male speech part is unrelated in it's original context (it's a doctor talking about using the drug DMT, though I cut out the parts where he mentions DMT) but I like that it kind of works and helps imply the sexual vibe.

3. Me too!

4. No harm in organization. I'd give you a cookie if I knew how to pass one through the intarwebz.

Thanks for the responses. Keep 'em coming!

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Anyway yeah, pretty good! It's worth exploring further.

I've only recently been listening to the more laid back dubstep stuff (i.e. this sorta thing)

...after a couple of years of the filthier, ridiculous wobbly wobblers which has been a nice change.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
It's pretty much like most genres of electronic music, but sets itself apart with it's slower tempos, extra emphasis on the bass sounds as the primary element, and implied half-time beats.

ah so its like 3 and 4 minute breakdowns. got it. :fawk:

just kidding. this isnt the first time ive seen the term dubstep mentioned in this section so i had to click and give it a listen. i like it! i know its far different from NIN but i guess the slower tempo of this one just reminded me of the mid tempo or slower stuff that i like the most from them.

if i had a good understanding of how to map out this stuff in a program, i would be spending some serious time writing some slow dark electronic shit. but so far i havent had the patience to sit down with FL studio 9 and learn it.

anyways in summary, sounds good man. keep it up and be sure to post the final result :cool:

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score
Holy mindfuck batman. The beats right after the first slowdown-twirlybass-crazy-thing really fucked with my head, haha.

This definitely makes me want to explore electronic possibilities for music...whenever I get the fuck out of this shithole town and get a house to set up properly. Maybe not exclusively, but definitely for some additions to things. I'm a supernoob to recording in general but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna be prepared when the time comes...

Nice work man!

')