Duncan Distortion - is it worth it?

• Thread starter metalfiend666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well Duncan lovers, is the 7 string Distortion worth buying, or is it a heap of toneless crap? Is it Alnico or Ceramic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's ceramic - the Distortion is a JB with a big honkin' ceramic magnet. I'm not much of a fan, personally...

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ok. I like my JB in mahogany, but I'm also a big Dimarzio fan. It's on Ebay for £35, would you say it's worth a shot?

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
I really like the Distortion in 6 strings (I'm not a JB fan). I don't remember what the 7 string version sounds like...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you think you can get most of the value back if you don't like it, yeah. I didn't like the Distortion 7 that came in my Washburn much in that guitar, which is mahogany body and maple neck and fretboard.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've bought it anyway. Sod it, it's cheap and I can get what I paid for it if I don't like it. I think my UV might get the Duncan treatment soon.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
if you don't like it you can swap the ceramic for a Alnico 5 and see if it fixes it up for you.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think the Duncan Distortion is the worst pickup Duncan makes. It has the worst honk shrill tone I've ever heard. Other ceramics like the Invader, Custom or DiMarzios don't have that bullshit. I hate the Duncan Distortion!

It's almost as bad as the Tone Zone 7. Yeah, I went there.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
No, The DD is garbage just don't get it at all. It's seriously just the worst.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Doh, you should have consulted me first ;) I know Duncan has a 30-day exchange policy, but I don't know if that applies for overseas too?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like the Distortion because it has no bass response. It is all mids and treble, and way to harsh to my ears. However, playing styles have a huge impact on how a pickup reacts. Jacksonplayer swears by that pickup, and he never sounds harsh or brittle. Then again, his playing style makes a JB sound like scooped mud.

I think the Duncan Distortion is the worst pickup Duncan makes.

No, that would be the Custom Custom.

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like the Distortion because it has no bass response. It is all mids and treble, and way to harsh to my ears. However, playing styles have a huge impact on how a pickup reacts. Jacksonplayer swears by that pickup, and he never sounds harsh or brittle. Then again, his playing style makes a JB sound like scooped mud.

With a Road King you really don't need much bass out of the pickup, do you? I recorded a six string Jackson with a DD in it... the bass on the RK didn't get past 9:00.

I agree though - all gear reacts differently with different players. I've heard people get great sounds out of their rig and then hand me their guitar and I sound like Richard Simmons at a banana eating competition.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well I'll see what it's like when I get it. Sounds like my 3 options if I don't like it are:

1. Switch the magnet to A5 to make it a JB
2. Ebay it
3. Sell it to Jacksonplayer :lol:

')