Duncan Hyperion Alternatives

• Thread starter Musiscience
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Is there any other sets (HSS) that would get close for the same application? I’m looking to recreate the same set-up with a 9 pin switch to have different pickup and wiring (series/parallel) combinations. The hyperions are great at this, kind of middle of the road balanced sound, so all switch positions sound as intended.

Seems like the humbucker is based on the Pegasus, so I guess I could start there. But what would be a fitting replacement for the single coils?

Any brands and suggestions are welcome if you have creative ideas. The receiving guitar is a strat.

Edit: Ideally I’d like a covered humbucker (chrome or gold), so the Pegasus might not be an option after all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be sure, you want to keep the humbucker and swap just the singles and so are you asking a well balanced set of singles to go with your HB?

If you are about to swap all pick-ups : no problem. Your luthier will just have more pins to connect but there is no problem to choose whatever PU you want according to your taste; what you play, what you blame on your current ones.

Musiscience

Reaction score
To be sure, you want to keep the humbucker and swap just the singles and so are you asking a well balanced set of singles to go with your HB?

If you are about to swap all pick-ups : no problem. Your luthier will just have more pins to connect but there is no problem to choose whatever PU you want according to your taste; what you play, what you blame on your current ones.
I’m going to swap all the pickups from the factory SSS ones, and will do the soldering, wiring, etc. myself.

Mainly looking for suggestions for similar pickups to the HSS Hyperions, kind of neutral sounding that would lend well to the various switching positions and genres. I have next to no actual experience with medium output pickups and single coil options out there, so any suggestions is very welcome.

I’ll probably reach out to SD in parallel and see what similar set they would suggest.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You mentioned on your first post : HSS.
I had 3 single Duncan Antiquities on an Edwards Strat. Quite good but really costy. I do not really appreciate the bridge PU on a strat, I always play from the 2nd to 5th position. They were really good ones.
I would have tested the SSL 5 for more output but I never did.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Just in case anyone else is looking for that info at some point in the future, SD's answer is:

Pegasus for the humbucker, which can be customized through some dealers if white is needed (as a floor custom as opposed to full on custom shop).

Antiquity Texas Hot for the single coils.