Duncan nazgul vs duncan distortion

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pablometal

Reaction score
i had the duncan distortion and it couldn't handle drop B, it sounded like shit so i bought an emg 85 which sounds really similar and problem solved. And it's true, it has a classic sound..really agressive but not enough for drop tunings!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I hated the Nazgul. I'm not sure if I've used the Distortion any but just about anything would be better imo

skmanga

Reaction score
I replaced the nazgul in my km7 mk2 for a distortion 7.
And i 100% prefer it to the shrill highs and quack of the nazgul. Maybe its not so great in swamp ash?

But for some reason while the duncan distortion works fine i bet theres a pickup better suited for the guitar and my style of playing.
I use a 5153 6l6 which is a high gain monster already, so im not really sure if such a high output pickup like the distortion is the best option for me.

It works fine though, and i could just be projecting my latest curiosity with lower or more medium output pickups.

I was very surprised hearing my buddies rg752 with the stock pafs compared to my higher output pickup equipped gutars like the duncan distortion and a kiesel lithium when going into a ds1 thru the clean channel of my 5153.
With his guitar the ds1 sounded thick and warm, with mine it was shrill and spikey.
Deff opened up my mind to lower output pickups.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I replaced the nazgul in my km7 mk2 for a distortion 7.
And i 100% prefer it to the shrill highs and quack of the nazgul. Maybe its not so great in swamp ash?

But for some reason while the duncan distortion works fine i bet theres a pickup better suited for the guitar and my style of playing.
I use a 5153 6l6 which is a high gain monster already, so im not really sure if such a high output pickup like the distortion is the best option for me.

It works fine though, and i could just be projecting my latest curiosity with lower or more medium output pickups.

I was very surprised hearing my buddies rg752 with the stock pafs compared to my higher output pickup equipped gutars like the duncan distortion and a kiesel lithium when going into a ds1 thru the clean channel of my 5153.
With his guitar the ds1 sounded thick and warm, with mine it was shrill and spikey.
Deff opened up my mind to lower output pickups.
You just have to find a pickup with a voicing that counters what you dislike about the distortion in that guitar. There are big thick warm high output pickups out there, like the parallel axis distortion (6 string only sadly), invader, elysian hellfire, bkp warpig, avedissian scythe, etc. So many people waste time worrying about output/other minutia around pickups instead of treating them like they are: a chunk of wire/magnet that imparts a fixed eq/voicing onto your signal. If a guitar is too bright, put a warmer pickup in. Too dark, do the opposite.

skmanga

Reaction score
You just have to find a pickup with a voicing that counters what you dislike about the distortion in that guitar. There are big thick warm high output pickups out there, like the parallel axis distortion (6 string only sadly), invader, elysian hellfire, bkp warpig, avedissian scythe, etc. So many people waste time worrying about output/other minutia around pickups instead of treating them like they are: a chunk of wire/magnet that imparts a fixed eq/voicing onto your signal. If a guitar is too bright, put a warmer pickup in. Too dark, do the opposite.

That does sound like the proper method to land onto the right pickup.
It is more or less the method I used to narrow down my options down to the Distortion over the Nazgul.
One thing that limited my selection back then was that I was convinced I needed high output pickups for the kind of guitarist that I am, but now I know that's not the case!

Thanks for the tip.

')