Dying maple/clearcoat questions

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Im modding my ibanez rga121 and givint the body a makeover. Ive already sanded the guitar, and want the maple tops face to be darker than its sides. I want the face to come out like a goldish yellow cover, while the sides of the maple remain white ish, like a binding. then clear coat it.

2c2c453f.jpg

8da0d237.jpg

83b26f20.jpg

Also, some quick questions on clear coating and dying the guitar.
1.) when I apply the amber dye, since this is plane maple, do I still sand the dye offnonce it dries , or leave it on? And since I only wanna dye the face, should I tape off the edges?

2.) what's a good amount of clear coat layers I should put on to keep a good protection to it, but not make it look plastic? I was thinking maybe 6 or 7?

And 3.) how long would it take to clear coat it, and how long does it take to dry between coats? Also, what layer should I begin sanding at, to remove " orange peel" ?

Sorry for the noObish questions. Just trying to make it look as professional as possible!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1.) when I apply the amber dye, since this is plane maple, do I still sand the dye offnonce it dries , or leave it on? And since I only wanna dye the face, should I tape off the edges?

Yes, you'll want to remove the top layer of excess dye/stain. Brush is on evenly, and remove it evenly or you'll get a streaky, uneven look to it.

Definitely tap off the edges, and really anywhere else you don't want the dye/stain, the stuff can get everywhere and can be a pain to remove if it gets into the wrong spot.

2.) what's a good amount of clear coat layers I should put on to keep a good protection to it, but not make it look plastic? I was thinking maybe 6 or 7?

That's really going to depend on the product you're using to finish the guitar. Typically, between five and ten coats depending on the product and desired finish.

And 3.) how long would it take to clear coat it, and how long does it take to dry between coats? Also, what layer should I begin sanding at, to remove " orange peel" ?

Drying time is very product specific and will also vary depending on temperature and humidity of where the guitar is being finished and stored.

You'll want to sand and remove surface anomalies between every coat.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
ahhh... dying maple. One of the most pleasurable things to do.

1) depends on what product you use and how dark you want it to be....

2) Depends on the product. For actual good clear coats, one coat is plenty lol

3) depends on the product. Stuff I use, you can sand, buff, and polish in about 6 hours.

this is no clear, oil based dye.

dscn0045ca.jpg

this is the clear I use, two coats, no wet sanding or polishing yet.

dscf0067tp.jpg