Ear protection

• Thread starter guy in latvia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Hi guys, so after I went deaf in 1 ear for 2 weeks after a show I decided its about time I start wearing earplugs to shows. The foam ones sound like crap, but at least I don't have ringing in ears or anything like that afterwards. What would you guys recommend for good sounding, well protecting, not easily falling out earplugs I could order online with international shipping (there ain't nothing available locally).

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
look into etymotic earplugs, They're excellent and they don't just block the sound, they work more like a compressor.

You can pick them up off Ebay quite cheaply and they'll last you ages.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I'm a bit concerned with the stem sticking out, with the foam ones getting hit in the head by a crowdsurfer is not a big deal, with this, it could potentially cause serious injury to my ears, or what would you say?

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Nah, worst case I forsee is the earplug getting knocked out. I've been using them for a couple of years now. I've since moved to alpine earplugs which don't have ends sticking out, but you need to use the applicator to get them in.

I only switched to the alpines as I found the set of etymotics I had were just a tiny bit too small for my ear canals and my right ear would slowly have the earplug fall out. The alpines are more expensive. But the low end is truer and they fit my ears better.

I'd suggest trying the etymotics first though as they're a lot cheaper.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
What do you mean by using an applicator to get them in? All of these are ridiculously expensive, when it comes to shipping to EU, does anyone know any stores located in the EU?

Edit: It appears Amazon UK seems to have both, the alpine musicsafe pro are just 3 euro more expensive. If that's the case, seems like I should get these instead, what do you think?

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
The alpines are entirely made of silicone (aside from the audio filter), So getting them in with your fingers alone is prettymuch impossible, they come with a little plastic end that slides over them and you use that to push them into your ear. I'd say grab the alpines if I were you.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Ok perfect, I will!

Also, do these fit in really snug or would they fall out from extreme headbanging/quick movements/jumping/moshing?

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
They're snug as can be. Actually another things about the alpines, they're softer silicone than the etymotics, my ears used to hurt after having the etymotics in for extended periods of time. Not really bad, But it was still there. I don't have that with the alpines.

Hope I've provided you with some useful help dude.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
I bought the ACS ER-20s last October. I found them quite effective but very uncomfortable. They cost about 9€ though, so maybe that was to be expected. I'll give the Alpine's a go.

Sorry if I'm highjacking your thread but I think this might be relevant: I already suffer from slight hearing loss and tinnitus, and I noticed that as soon as I put the ER's in the ringing in my ears becomes louder. Is that a general thing with all earplugs or a "special feature"? The attenuation is great, but I could do without the increased ringing if possible.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I have ringing too. It seems louder when everything is quiet.
I don't notice it when I have my plugs in though. I'll pay attention next time

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I use industrial disposable ear plugs and buy 50 pairs at a time - look on ebay/elsewhere for "moldex ear plugs 35" which give a 35db cut, although it is not linear so attenuates highs more than lows.

Somewhere should do international shipping. Also you should have industrial suppliers in Latvia that stock these!

For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOLDEX-Spark-Plugs-Disposable-Earplugs-Pack-of-20-Pairs-SNR-35dB-/270855662530?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f10416bc2

I've have tinnitus for many years. My main aim is to make sure that it doesn't get worse when playing/gigging/clubbing loud.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm highjacking your thread but I think this might be relevant: I already suffer from slight hearing loss and tinnitus, and I noticed that as soon as I put the ER's in the ringing in my ears becomes louder. Is that a general thing with all earplugs or a "special feature"? The attenuation is great, but I could do without the increased ringing if possible.

I think that's just a perceptual phenomena. In other words, without earplugs... you have some of the usual white noise of everyday life to help mask the ringing slightly. Unless you're in a 100% quiet room, there is always a few dB of background noise floating around from the air conditioner, computer fans, outside traffic... even a gentle breeze outside.

So, when you put ear plugs in, you block out everything... and are left with only the ringing in your ears. This just makes it seem louder.

I have tinnitus, and have noticed the same thing when wearing ear plugs.

Reaction score
Man...for what I see, you must have been playing in real loud places with no isolation. Most loudness is supposed to go to the public, and not through monitors.

I use waves plugs or industrial plugs I stole from my previous job for isolation in my band's rehearsals. But for live gigs I haven't yet considered using them for aesthetic reasons.

Those etymotic ones look great!

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
I think that's just a perceptual phenomena. In other words, without earplugs... you have some of the usual white noise of everyday life to help mask the ringing slightly. Unless you're in a 100% quiet room, there is always a few dB of background noise floating around from the air conditioner, computer fans, outside traffic... even a gentle breeze outside.

So, when you put ear plugs in, you block out everything... and are left with only the ringing in your ears. This just makes it seem louder.

I have tinnitus, and have noticed the same thing when wearing ear plugs.

That totally makes sense :wallbash:

Thank you.

Tyler

Reaction score
Ive used the Hearos rock n' roll set for years and never had any ringing at all with them

AlexEdwards

Reaction score
I've used hearos as well for ages now and haven't looked back since. I'd even go as far as saying it improves the sound more than it just blocks it out- the way they're designed makes it block out the harsher frequencies that generally tend to cause issues.

Dores

Reaction score
I've been using toilet paper for years now. Works great, sounds great and it's practically free and available everywhere!

Pascal-Darrell

Reaction score
Hi, I haven´t read all the other post, so I´m sorry if it has been said before, but I would suggest custom ear plugs. They´re formed perfectly to your ear and won´t pop out.
They will protect your ear by simply lower the volume by 15 db or more if you want.
I paid about 200€, but I think it´s totally worth it.

ACS - Serious About Sound

Lord Bile

Reaction score
You're much better off with custom moulds. They will last you years and any investment in protecting your ears is worthwhile, they give you a perfect seal.

Latest posts

')