Eastwood and other quirky guitars

jwguitar

Reaction score
Are their any fans of Eastwood, Airline, Backlund or the myriad of other oddball guitars out there? Here is a video I made with my Eastwood GP Ultra which is a replica of Ovation’s GP Ultra of the late 70s and Early 80’s. I think it’s appropriate that I chose one of the more famous songs of that time to show it off!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Impossible not to smile throughout that one huh? Cool version and quite enjoyable to listen to.

I dig some quirky guitars and actually purchased a 1982 Guild X79 Skyhawk some years ago. I really dug that it appeared as if it was designed in the 50's to look like a guitar that you might see in the 90's lol. It doesn't get played much these days but I still love it for it's truly strange shape.

I also for some reason was kinda taken with the Eastman Sidejack Baritone DLX in green-burst once upon a time lol.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Impossible not to smile throughout that one huh? Cool version and quite enjoyable to listen to.

I dig some quirky guitars and actually purchased a 1982 Guild X79 Skyhawk some years ago. I really dug that it appeared as if it was designed in the 50's to look like a guitar that you might see in the 90's lol. It doesn't get played much these days but I still love it for it's truly strange shape.

I also for some reason was kinda taken with the Eastman Sidejack Baritone DLX in green-burst once upon a time lol.

Guild made some really wacky stuff back in the 80s. It’s as if they teamed up with Peavey or Westone to help design some of their guitars back then. How does your Guild guitar balance? I know that sometimes guitars like that can be deceiving and look unbalanced but in reality play effortlessly.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Guild made some really wacky stuff back in the 80s. It’s as if they teamed up with Peavey or Westone to help design some of their guitars back then. How does your Guild guitar balance? I know that sometimes guitars like that can be deceiving and look unbalanced but in reality play effortlessly.

Balance is great when standing but sitting down sucks... it's just a bit small. It's definitely lightweight... body is 1-1/2" . Action is super low which is cool but the flat radius, narrow neck width, and tiny/ short fret height throws me off. Feels almost like a toy compared to my other guitars.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Balance is great when standing but sitting down sucks... it's just a bit small. It's definitely lightweight... body is 1-1/2" . Action is super low which is cool but the flat radius, narrow neck width, and tiny/ short fret height throws me off. Feels almost like a toy compared to my other guitars.

I can see where that lower bout might present a problem for you in terms of sliding off your leg. It does look a bit awkward.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Are their any fans of Eastwood, Airline, Backlund or the myriad of other oddball guitars out there? Here is a video I made with my Eastwood GP Ultra which is a replica of Ovation’s GP Ultra of the late 70s and Early 80’s. I think it’s appropriate that I chose one of the more famous songs of that time to show it off!

That was awesome, haha. I love Three’s Company, and having that backdrop brings back memories!

')