Ebony top?

• Thread starter Jakke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Hey guys, was just thinking a bit the other day (never a good sign), and I thought: hey, maple is about the same density as ebony, and you make guitar tops out of maple, why not make one out of ebony?

So guys, great idea, or not so good?

What tones could I expect from an ebony top?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, was just thinking a bit the other day (never a good sign), and I thought: hey, maple is about the same density as ebony, and you make guitar tops out of maple, why not make one out of ebony?

So guys, great idea, or not so good?

What tones could I expect from an ebony top?

It may be the same density but it is definitely harder. I hear it is hell on tools, and aside from getting ahold of that much ebony being expensive, a lot of folks don't like excessive tool wear.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
I have a bass with a macassar ebony top. Mac ebony is not all that uncommon for tops, but the pure black Madagascar or Gabon ebony will be very hard to find in that size, and very expensive. There are many, many kinds of ebony. Only a few are very black.

As for its effect on tone...dubious.

Macassar Ebony top:

pic_5.jpg

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I have a bass with a macassar ebony top. Mac ebony is not all that uncommon for tops, but the pure black Madagascar or Gabon ebony will be very hard to find in that size, and very expensive. There are many, many kinds of ebony. Only a few are very black.

As for its effect on tone...dubious.

Macassar Ebony top:

pic_5.jpg

That is GORGEOUS.

And it's effect on tone would be minimal if you're just using it as a top. Unless you do like a half and half body like a Caparison AppleHorn Jazz or use it as the core wood. If you did, though, it would sustain for days.

Chris_N

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just starting my first build, just got the woods for it:
Ebony top on a 1-piece swamp ash body.

I can tell you, the ebony was over 100 €, and I found only one piece in usable size.
You will have to check the wood suppliers by phone, usually they don't have it on their websites in this size.

Attachments

• ebony_1.jpg
    ebony_1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 77

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
^That is a very nice specimen though. That sounds like a hell of a guitar you're building there.

Chris_N

Reaction score
^That is a very nice specimen though. That sounds like a hell of a guitar you're building there.

I'm very curious, as I've never played such an instrument.
But it will surly take some months til it's finished. It will be a 7 baritone with wenge/macassar neck.
I'll make a thread, when there is something to report, and I'm sure that I'll have many q's and need for some help in the process.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I'm very curious, as I've never played such an instrument.
But it will surly take some months til it's finished. It will be a 7 baritone with wenge/macassar neck.
I'll make a thread, when there is something to report, and I'm sure that I'll have many q's and need for some help in the process.

That sounds REALLY nice. :agreed: Wenge necks are amazing.
Working with wenge is kinda rough from what I hear though. Lots of splintering.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
It does splinter a bit. You just need to take your time with it.
Also, if you get a splinter in your hand or finger, remove it. It does get mighty sore.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Oregon Wildwood had a bunch of ebony tops last time I checked. They won't be restocking any ebony so be quick before you're stuck ordering myrtlewood! :D

I think everything has been said. Ebony splinters a load, macassar ebony is a tad easier to work with. Still no soft, easy wood though!

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
If it was a thick top, you might get a similar tonal change to maple. The top on my Blackmachine was 2mm so thats more like the veneer on an inexpensive import than an actual top like a Les Paul or a PRS has.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
If it was a thick top, you might get a similar tonal change to maple. The top on my Blackmachine was 2mm so thats more like the veneer on an inexpensive import than an actual top like a Les Paul or a PRS has.

Well most LP's have that thick, carved/arched-top maple cap with will make a significant tonal difference.
Do they still do that?

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Ebony would probably be very bright, but it would sustain like nobody's business. A thin top probably won't make much difference though.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Ebony would probably be very bright, but it would sustain like nobody's business. A thin top probably won't make much difference though.

And generalizations of how wood will effect things despite the huge variance even within a special wash over the internet, onto a cobbled shore of doubt, assumptions, and psychosomatic expectations. :lol:

In plain english, don't worry about your top wood, or any wood for that matter. It is not the giant tone choice it is made out to be, but a very small one. Get what looks pretty (as you see a lot of folks adding veneers and such to their bargain instruments, that alone shows the value and your perception based on your instruments appearance)

Latest posts

')