Economy picking, alternate picking, practicing in general

• Thread starter Korg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korg

is not a name
Reaction score
Hey, I wanted to start this thread, because I was/am a bit unsure about economy picking vs alternate picking, I learned to alternate pick, but in my mind it'd just make more sense if economy picking would be faster, but a lot of topics were already made about this, and it seemed most concluded alternate picking was the way forward, which suits me because it's what I'm used to..

But I think the origin to my question was because I've lately felt as if I'm not really proggressing, and I was wondering if it was because I alternate picked but that didn't seem to be the root..

I think my problem might be I play too much instead of practice, like download a guitarpro file, play along, bam.. I've recently started using a metronome, which has helped a lot with rhythm, however I was just wondering what all of you out there, how you approach practicing, because I just feel like compared to how long I've played it goes so damn slow, not lack of motivation though..

So if anyone could give me some inspiration to make my practicing habits better it'd be super cool, maybe even name some songs.. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

penguin_316

Reaction score
There are advantages to both really...my advice would be to get used to both and apply them when they make sense to you. Whenever I examine someones techniques I tend to find the best players incorporate all kinds of different techniques and can change between them seemlessly.

For examples.....check out Guthrie Govan.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Alternate picking is a cornerstone, you need it to economy pick. But I agree, work on both. It cannot hurt you, and each has advantages.

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
"Strict" alternate picking and economy picking are approaches to changing strings. In the former, you always alternate pick strokes (hence the name), even when crossing strings. Gives you a nice staccato, choppy sound. Is also extremely difficult to do at really high speeds. Economy picking just means you always use a downstroke when switching to a higher string, and upstroke when switching to a lower string.

On the other hand, some really good guitarists use mostly downstrokes when changing strings -- Marty Friedman, for example, or Yngwie or any gypsy-jazz guys. Works for them. :shrug:

Personally, I use both, although I haven't reached ridiculous speeds with either yet.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure this is not the first thread on the subject.

FarBeyondMetal

Reaction score
I use economy picking, since if makes most sense when changning strings to pick in the direction of the string you are playing next. The great this about this type of picking, is that it lends itself to sweep picking so much better than STRICT alt. picking.

Korg

is not a name
Reaction score
You say it depends on the situation, but what I'm wondering is, if for example I'm learning a solo (slowed down), should I focus on doing it with economy picking or alternate to be most efficient?

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I use both but I tend to lean towards economy. My problem generally isn't getting my picking fast but my left hand shifts fast and remembering all the notes at high speed (if Im doing prewritten stuff) =P

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
In respect to your last post, OP, I'd say to learn the notes first, playing however feels most natural, bring it up to/close to speed and then work on economy picking it.

In terms of not really progressing, how's your theory? Do you write much music? How aware are you of what you're doing, musically? I don't mean just what frets you're playing but the effect of the notes you're playing and paying attention to what notes, intervals and rhythms work or don't work. If you learn that stuff then there's always more to progress with even without further influence. There'll always be more to write and infinite variations to try.

FWB

Reaction score
I don't think there's any right or wrong answer to this. There's people that play faster then god using alternate picking, and there's some crazy fast economy pickers too. Both techniques can be used to play as fast as you want. Just pick whichever you like the sound of, because there are some subtle differences in sound.

Korg

is not a name
Reaction score
okay thanks, and solodini, my theory is okay I guess, nothing spectacular, and I'll definitely focus more on what I'm playing, thanks :)

Latest posts

')