Edwards quality?

• Thread starter OlisDead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
At the moment I play an Eddy SG exclusively. It's better than any other guitar I've had or even played, though I'm sure I haven't had as many nice guitars as many users on here.

I didn't even plan on buying it. I was all about super-strats and modern and ERG and well the sort of stuff this site often gets very excited about, so when I picked the Edwards SG off the shelf and immediately played better than I ever have in my life, I said "well .... I've gotta buy it then"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jerm

Reaction score
What years were they produced in China? Always loved the E-CY-165CTM....

max3000

Reaction score
I'd say.. anything from the past like, 10 years is china.

jeremyb

Reaction score
I had a japanese edwards les paul, which was a brilliant guitar!

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
Edwards guitars are astounding quality, especially taking their price into consideration. My (now heavily-customised) Explorer was originally an Edwards Explorer, one of their classic Gibson-style one, and it's every bit as solid as my ESP Eclipse-I CTM.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
If I want a real Les Paul I will buy a Navigator, until then an Edwards will suffice. :cool:

It's sort of funny that the best Les Paul you can buy isn't Gibson - Navigators are ridiculously nice guitars.

On topic, Edwards are fantastic, even without the price factor. I wouldn't hesitate.

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
So where do you stand on G&L guitars then?

They are a bit funnuy in the sense that they are Leo's second attempt or go at the Telecaster and Stratocaster after he sold Fender to CBS and fulfilled his contractional obligations with CBS, plus they are different enough to stand on their own feet and not be called clones or copies, for a start they are made with diferent woods, their Stratocaster model is made of mahogany I believe instead of ash or alder, they have a two point trem, something which Fender actually copied from them. Then there is their Telecaster model there is quite a difference in shape not to mention features and materials between the G&L one and the Fender one.

The amount of companies that do Les Paul's better than Gibson can't really be counted. If you want garbage, keep buying the brand that doesn't bother to improve, innovate or even have decent quality control to the point that they're sometimes on par with Chinese made hack copies.

Dozens of other companies do strats far better than Fender - ie Suhr and Anderson.

Nobody has really bothered to copy a JEM.

Do you apply this logic to the rest of your life (ie - only buy the original maker because everything else is a rip off?)?

Back on topic - I priced out the shipping/duty/exchange on an Edwards from Ikebe-Gakki and unfortunately it comes up on par with me buying an EII. :(

There is not though, there is only one company who produces a carved maple top on a mohogany back in a single cut, that is call a Les Paul, everybody else is just riding on their innovation and success and they all call theirs something else, and makes them a little different to the point where if you placed a Les Paul next to a clone of it, you can easily spot the differences with the headstocks covered. None of the clones call their's a Les Paul, ESP call their clone the Navigator, Tokia call theirs the Love Rock, Mayback call theirs the Havanna, I can't remember what Edwards, Ibanez or Greco call theirs, but at the end of the day they are all clones all with subtle but prominent differences between the real ones, there is only one real Les Paul, and it has Gibson on the Headstock, hate on that as much as you want, but it is the truth, and if you contact every single company that makes a Les Paul clone, they will fall over themselves to point out all the differences between theirs and the real Les Paul, as is required by the Law Suit from the late 70's early 80's.

And the are copies of JEM's thousands of them in fact, just have a look on aliexpress the place is full of them.

Do you apply this logic to the rest of your life (ie - only buy the original maker because everything else is a rip off?)?

Yes, buy right, buy once

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Wow.

You are exactly the type of person that will spend $30,000 more on a nearly identical car, just because of the badge that's on it.

If anyone here has a navigator and a few les pauls, lets see how many differences this guy can point out.

OT - I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about an Edwards lp, save a couple headstock breaks. But that is really due to the degree of the headstock tilt and careless turds.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
OT - I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about an Edwards lp, save a couple headstock breaks. But that is really due to the degree of the headstock tilt and careless turds.

Wouldn't just put this on Edwards, either. I'd say any Gibson clone that tries to be too authentic and exclude a volute would be the victim of this. I mean, Gibson is infamous for their broken headstocks.

Well... I WOULD put it on Edwards to include this flaw in the sake of being "traditional", but still... :lol:

This is why we need more '70s Gibson clones. Maple neck, volute, etc etc.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Yea, I meant the gibby design. These are copies afterall.

Big +1 to the maple neck sentiment. Just played another LP studio the other day with a maple neck. So awesome.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not too big on all-maple or all-mahogany guitars.

But when you have a mahogany body with a maple neck...

d96.jpg

1b4n3z

Reaction score

If anyone here has a navigator and a few les pauls, lets see how many differences this guy can point out.

To me it's about getting the best guitar of certain style regardless of the brand. Who can even say who the original innovator was when it comes to simple design that's decades old - usually things improve by small increments over time. Is there a certain cutoff point after which a design is always 'new' and proprietary?

Anyway my Navigator LP ctm is definitely superior to my 68 reissue Gibson (same exact specs) and a much better deal too. Competition is good for the consumer - why would Gibson/Fender bother to improve without it?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
What years were they produced in China? Always loved the E-CY-165CTM....

The rough stuff is done in China but the finish/hardware/QC is done in Tokyo. It's almost always been this way, so there's no point in like "Oh, I need to avoid XXXX years because they were sub-par." They're pretty much all exploiting lower Chinese wages for the basic grunt work.

jerm

Reaction score
The rough stuff is done in China but the finish/hardware/QC is done in Tokyo. It's almost always been this way, so there's no point in like "Oh, I need to avoid XXXX years because they were sub-par." They're pretty much all exploiting lower Chinese wages for the basic grunt work.
Good to hear, thanks Narad! :yesway:

Vittra

Reaction score
I got an Edwards from Japan in 2007 (pictured middle, E-RV-138) and I thought the build quality was excellent, haven't had any problems whatsoever with it.

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
i think their quality varies more than on Standard ESPs.
have an Edwards "Die" Signature which is flawless, and sold my Edwards E-AL128 Alexi that had a big paint flaw.
but they are really good players for the money. :yesway:

')