Effect Pedal Troubles

Reaction score
Hello there:imnew:. first, i am new to forums. I have an issue with my pedal setup, and im not sure what is is. the symptoms arelots of hum, and a steady heartbeat like thump. PLZ HELP I will give a rig breakdown:
AMP: EVH 5150 100 watt w/effects loop
STACK: RANDAL XL 4x12
PEDALS: ISP DECIMATOR
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK X4
TC ELECTRONIC FANGS DISTORTION w TRUE BYPASS
TC ELECTRONIC THUNDERSTORM FLANGER
TC ELECTRONIC BLOOD MOON PHASER

less important stuff

GUITARS: 7 str Matt Heafy 'MKH' signature les paul ACTIVE PICKUPS
Schecter Guitar Research Synyster Special PASSIVE PICKUPS

PICKS: John Petrucci Jazz 3s
STRINGS: NYXL everything xD

i have it all going through the effects loop except the decimator. the thump is present on all 3 channels, with or without the effects loop. all pedals are connected through a daisy chain except decimator. To be clear, i dont know anything about pedal setup, or how pedals mess with the signal, so ANY and ALL information would be very helpful. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Your flashback x4 is most likely underpowered among other things. You need a dedicated power supply to power your pedals - daisy chain works for low draw pedals like overdrives or boost pedals. Your manual or the manufacturer site will tell you what power requirements the pedals need.

Why do you have all the pedals in the loop of the gate?

Reaction score
the only thing not in the loop is the decimator. everything else is in the loop. the decimator needs to be on without the loop to prevent the feedback. so the X4 is underpowered? ok ill try that, thanks.

Beheroth

Reaction score
distortion in the fx loop

Wat8.jpg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
the only thing not in the loop is the decimator. everything else is in the loop. the decimator needs to be on without the loop to prevent the feedback. so the X4 is underpowered? ok ill try that, thanks.

Ok, i misunderstood and thought you had pedals in the loop of the gate.

Your dirt should not be in the fx loop. As a general rule time based effects go in the loop.

Buy a voodoo labs pedal power 2+ and you should have no issues with power.

bhakan

Reaction score
Depending on the daisy chain, you should have enough current to power all of them (the x4 is about 300mA draw, the rest are probably <100mA, and a one spot daisy chain supplies like 1300mA I think?). However, certain pedals don't play nice with each other in a daisy chain. If you're not gigging and don't want to spend the money, unplug your pedals one at a time until the noise stops. Based off the description it's probably coming from the clock in the delay or flanger. Once you find the culprit, power that with a separate power supply. However, an isolated power supply will almost certainly fix the issue regardless of what exactly is happening, and if you're gigging or have to move your pedals around frequently, it's definitely a worthwhile investment.

Latest posts

')