Effects Loop Questions

• Thread starter dimebagfan01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
So after a couple years of keeping my rig virtually the same, I decided a few months back to start experimenting with my effects loop to see if I can improve anything and just to try something new. I picked up an Abominable Electronics Unholy Grail which I got because it seemed to be a nice boost and delay in one unit for solos. I figured the best place for it in my rig would be in the effects loop, but every time I use the pedal, it sounds like a blanket just got thrown over my rig. I also have a Homebrew Electronics Frostbite flanger in the loop and my tone gets significantly darker when it's on as well. Could this be an issue with the amp itself or is it more than likely just the pedal? I don't know if this is useful info or not, but the amp hasn't been retubed in quite some time (like a few years) and my signal chain is as follows:

Guitar -> MXR GT-OD -> '74 EHX Small Stone -> 5150 ->(loop send) HBE Frostbite -> MXR Smart Gate -> Abominable Unholy Grail ->(loop return) 5150 -> Mesa Stiletto 4x12

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
This is how I would try running it:

Guitar -> MXR GT-OD -> MXR Smart Gate -> 5150 ->(loop send) '74 EHX Small Stone -> HBE Frostbite -> Abominable Unholy Grail -> 5150(loop return) -> Mesa Stiletto 4x12

Rtf417

Reaction score
I would try this, In front of amp: Guitar, MXR GT-OD, MXR Smart Gate, '74 EHX Small Stone, HBE Frostbite, Amp. And just the Abominable Unholy Grail in the FX Loop. This IMO might give you a better signal flow. But experiment with some pedal placements and see what sounds best to you.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've tried different pedal combos before and after the preamp, but any pedals in the effects loop tend to really muffle the sound of the amp, some more than others. It's just extremely disappointing that the Unholy Grail does basically the opposite of what I hoped it would do (in acting as a lead boost, the delay is great).

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, rexbinary. Once I get some cash after the holidays, I'm gonna grab a new set of tubes for the amp and see if that helps at all. I think getting the loop modded to get rid of the volume drop might be worth looking into as well.

mongey

Reaction score
the 5150 is serial loop isnt it ?

Have you tested your cables your using in the loop ?

Is it doings it when the loop pedals are bypassed or only when on ?

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
I don't know about it being serial, but all of my cables are good. It only acts up when the pedals are engaged.

mongey

Reaction score
I don't know about it being serial, but all of my cables are good. It only acts up when the pedals are engaged.

If that's the case maybe some kind of impedance or line level thing ?

If the loop driver tube was bad then it would still sound bad when pedals are off.

vick1000

Reaction score
If you are using long cables, you will need a line booster in there. Also use some Deoxit and clean the jacks.

Latest posts

')