Effects/tone advice...

• Thread starter Drumzilla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Getting my first 'real' bass rig soon and I could use some advice on effects if you guys have time.
I'm pretty impressed with Dick Lovgren's tone, but I'd like to avoid going the Line 6 POD or amp route. I'm playing in a prog/death metal band and just need advice on what to look into in regards to pre-amps and pedals that'll beef up a solid state amp and help me get a nice grind if I need it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
heeeeeeeey fwhat amp are you going for? i suggest you a Sansamp Bass driver DI.great pedal,good distortion and tube simulation.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Well, to qualify my purchase let me first state that I'm already a drummer and a guitarist, so money is really tight.

I'm looking at getting a Peavey Tour 700 with a headliner series 1x15 and 4x10.
I've heard really good things about both the pedal and rack version of that Sansamp. What does it do, exactly?

carcass

Reaction score
Well, to qualify my purchase let me first state that I'm already a drummer and a guitarist, so money is really tight.

I'm looking at getting a Peavey Tour 700 with a headliner series 1x15 and 4x10.
I've heard really good things about both the pedal and rack version of that Sansamp. What does it do, exactly?

I asked question about Suffocation´s Pierced From Within bass sound and gear. I get interesting answer, check it:

B.C.Rich Custom Shop bass with SD active pickups running at 18v -> Sansamp Bass Driver -> Ampeg SVT-4PRO -> Ampeg 810E

Most of his tone comes from the Sansamp though, so if his tone is what you're after pick one of those up and run it through a solid amp, or even just use the great D.I. feature.

Reaction score
you could go on stage with only the sansamp.you can plaug it into a mixer and have a great direct sound.or,use it as a preamp,to improve your rig.or as effect,like a tube distortion,with the programmable you would have a lot more chances to improve your sound.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
I'm going to give you the advice that I think you'll need as a bass player, whether you agree with me or not.

Playing death metal? Fuck off with that 1x15. Seriously, get rid of that shit. If you want something other than another 4x10(or just one cab) consider a 2x12 or 2x10.

Yes, a lot of bass players have a 1x15, but many of them don't gig death metal regularly. You're going to want as much punch as possible, and most of the air your 1x15 moves is going to get lost in bass drums and low guitar frequencies. You want your sound as tight as possible. Sell the 1x15, get the sansamp

Swedjent

Player of the Bass
Reaction score
I use a Line6 Pod XT, which mostly works perfectly for my cup of distortion(I'm also a fan of mr. Dick's sound). But if you're sure about not getting a Line6 then i could recommend a MXR M80 Bass DI+. I used to own one, and although it wasn't as good as the line6 at getting a killer modern distortion it worked really good. It had a lot of useful functions apart from the distortion although I can't really remember any of them.. Haha

Drumzilla

Reaction score
As a music store employee, I'm getting a pretty good deal on the rig. I'm also playing bass in a gigging band that plays much softer material, so I'm not really regretting the 1x15 but thanks for the heads up. I'm surprised it's going to get buried though. I wish I had seen this before I ordered it, but that's life. Maybe I'll leave it in the store and just take the 4x10 home.

Latest posts

')