Effin jigsaws, how do they work ?

Marrblade

Reaction score
So I had this idea, because I don't really have space for a band saw or many other large sized shop tools for that matter, would a jigsaw work for cutting out a body of a guitar or should I search other avenues for body cuttage. and would it be able to make tight enough turns to get in and cut out the horns of an RG ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TresGatos

Reaction score
A quality jigsaw can cut 1 3/4" ash, alder, basswood, poplar, pine etc. and a "scrolling" jigsaw can do a good job on all the curves.

BUT

blade defection is your enemy and it's a jigsaw's specialty. Don't expect the cut to be 100% vertical. This can be rectified by using the jigsaw for a close rough cut followed by a router and/or oscillating sander.

2011ross2.jpg

Marrblade

Reaction score
Oh man i saw what happened with the might 2.1 donkeypower coping saw, too much donkeypower my friend. What would the consequences be for working with a more dense would like purple heart ? I'm assuming coping saw or jig saw and purple heart would be a very bad combo.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Nah, I cut ALL my first guitar with a coping saw. Not gonna lie, it was really REALLY tough, but the money I saved on a band saw went to hardware and wood for a 2nd build...

TresGatos

Reaction score
And a cheap bandsaw is even worse than a cheap jigsaw because the blade wanders around horribly.
The Ryobi inthe background of my photo above is a good example of one to avoid if expecting straight cuts on anything thicker than 1/2" wood.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Jigsaws don't work. That is all. They are a tool designed to somehow shoot sawdust from the work area, over your safety glasses into your eye.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
HAHA, my exact feelings on jigsaws.

Had to cut a large plywood thing back in high school woodshop for the school teams (they were going to paint it or something, might of been the mascot). My eyes were so ridiculously full of sawdust by the end I wanted to die. :mad:

Marrblade

Reaction score
Well, I work at home depot part time cause I'm a college student and what not. So I could potentially buy the tools, but a coping saw sounds interesting because I'm trying to make this build a purely hand tools build so that sounds like a plan. Maybe ill invest in a nice band saw later but right now 1 donkeypower coping saw sounds like the way to be

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Well, I work at home depot part time cause I'm a college student and what not. So I could potentially buy the tools, but a coping saw sounds interesting because I'm trying to make this build a purely hand tools build so that sounds like a plan. Maybe ill invest in a nice band saw later but right now 1 donkeypower coping saw sounds like the way to be

METAAAAAAAAAAAL :hbang:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

You never lose anything using hand tools, and it just feels awesomer. That said, if you make an error you easily notice and stop befor cutting the next 2 ft of board too. :lol: