EL34 Rack Amp for use with Axe FX 2?

• Thread starter D1m3b4g
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D1m3b4g

Reaction score
Hi

I appreciate there have been a lot of threads posted already along the topic of "Which power amp with Axe FX 2" etc and I've read most of them I can find.

I'm currently putting the unit through my ENGL Invader 100 and the tones I'm getting have inspired me to pick the guitar up again, which says a lot for the quality.

Now, I'm looking at going entirely rack based as I appreciate many people have, but I don't want to lose the clarity / crunch and mids of the EL34s of the invader. Both ENGL rack power amp units I've found are 6L6 which frankly I'm not interested in.

I know Marshall do a 50/50 and 100/100 3u rack mount that use EL34s, has anyone used this amp with an Axe FX 2? Can anyone recommend some alternatives that I would do well to consider?

I've read a lot about the Matrix amps that are designed to work with the AFX2 but I'm not sure I want to go full tranny just yet. Other brands I've looked at are Carvin, Peavey, Fryette etc.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
I have no personal experience with it, but I believe Chris Broderick runs his axe fx through the marshal power amps and his tone is exactly as you described. Clear, crunchy, and it has powerful mids. If you're looking for EL34s exclusively I don't think the marshal would let you down

D1m3b4g

Reaction score
I'm tempted to go for the Marshall. There are only really 2 factors that discourage me a little, one is the price for the 100/100 and the other is the fact it's 3U so no space for my line 6 wireless. Hrm.

Cheers!

Paul

Reaction score
I wonder how many people dont buy the Marshall just because of the 3u?
Marshall needs to get with it

2u Engl E840/50 12kg
2u Fryette Two/Fifty/Two 15kg
2u Atomic Reactor 50/50 11.8kg
3u Marshall 50/50 19kg

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
VHT is EL's in the 2/50/2

I was reluctant to go (MOSFET) transistor, but a good friend who's opinion I trust told me to just take a chance on the Matrix GT1000FX and - particularly since FW9 - it allows the absolutely beautifully modelled power amps in the Axe FX do all the work, so there's no colouring from the power tubes, Marshall models sound Marshally, Mesa models errr.... Mesa-y? You truly keep hold of that 100-amps-in-a-box functionality of the Axe, you get super consistency from building to building (no swaying voltages causing trouble here), no risk of damaging the amp from basic wiring mistakes, no warm up time, no 'fragile when hot' parts, no wearing parts, you can mix and match basically any cabs, there's huge power on tap....

Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't feel right, it feels great because the Axe feels great. It weighs nothing and is cheaper than everything else you mentioned too.

Give one a try, you'll be glad you did.

/clearly biased post :lol:

I came from an all tube set up and was the biggest Axe skeptic when it got mine, that's the angle I'm coming from.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
i use a mesa boogie 2:100, stock of course.
but it has a bias switch that allows it to use
6L6 or EL34.

also 2u. :yesway:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I really like my 9005. Has 6ca7's in it. Adds life to my setup. Its 4u and about 45 pounds however.

IMAG0303-3_zpsf16a7410.jpg

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I recommend the Fryette. Very reliable and articulate.

I'm using the KT88 model, but the EL34 one gets rave reviews as well.

Latest posts

')