Elder Scrolls Online Beta

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
As long as there's a metric fuck-tonne of interesting lore, I don't expect to be dissapointed.

:agreed:

I wonder if spell making and enchanting will be implemented in ESO. I doubt they will (at least to the level they were in Morrowind or Oblivion), but it's nice to dream.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Just based off the, "alliances," or whatever the fuck they're calling them, this will be a continuity breaking, established lore shattering abomination for people whom played Arena when it was first released.

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
Got an "excellent" chance as well. Beta tested like 20 games in my life, and probably played like 5 of 'em, so god bless betas. We should start an SSO guild and make everyone a bard.

Just based off the, "alliances," or whatever the fuck they're calling them, this will be a continuity breaking, established lore shattering abomination for people whom played Arena when it was first released.

This has me worried as well. I hope they don't mess up the lores too much, as they have done with the gameplay already.

pink freud

Reaction score
:agreed:

I wonder if spell making and enchanting will be implemented in ESO. I doubt they will (at least to the level they were in Morrowind or Oblivion), but it's nice to dream.

I'm just making a wild guess but:

"Spell Making" (if included) will be augmenting standard abilities, ala Mass Effect skill sets, or will simply be the mechanic in which mage characters learn new abilities.

Enchanting seems like it will be a very easy template for the standard rune system. Now whether it will be a crafting-trade or part of everybody's kit is a major design choice.

I'm most curious about the thief skill sets. Stealth? Lockpicking? Pickpocketing? How would they make these work in an MMO? Stealth has some easy alternatives (lolinvisible) but the other two are complete unknowns. Can I pickpocket other players? If I max lockpicking can I go places others can't, or open chests randomly placed around?

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
The "factions" are forced, but necessary. Not so much for lore, but for gameplay.
Lore has proven, in many franchises, to not be written in stone.

I'm just making a wild guess but:

"Spell Making" (if included) will be augmenting standard abilities, ala Mass Effect skill sets, or will simply be the mechanic in which mage characters learn new abilities.

Enchanting seems like it will be a very easy template for the standard rune system. Now whether it will be a crafting-trade or part of everybody's kit is a major design choice.

I'm most curious about the thief skill sets. Stealth? Lockpicking? Pickpocketing? How would they make these work in an MMO? Stealth has some easy alternatives (lolinvisible) but the other two are complete unknowns. Can I pickpocket other players? If I max lockpicking can I go places others can't, or open chests randomly placed around?

Pickpocketing is already a definite no. lockpicking may be involved in chests, or their equivalent, but I haven't seen or heard anything.

texshred777

Reaction score
Meh.

edit:nevermind..I'll stick to meh.

But hey I'm glad you fellows are excited for it.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
The game economy will be another issue. Bethesda has had three very different economies in the last three ES games. Morrowind was messed up because you would get item drops that would have 100,000+ gold value and the max gold inventory of a vendor would be 5,000. Oblivion was more balanced, and Skyrim actually requires a fair amount of grinding/collecting EVERYTHING to become "rich." They haven't quite figured out what they want their 100% controlled economy to be like, I'm not so sure they can handle an MMO economy.

You're right about Morrowind and Oblivion, but I really don't think Skyrim took much grinding to get rich.

Don't you find it kind of fucked up that you can find a supposed 'Legendary Artifact' and a vendor will only offer you 1000 gold for it in Skyrim? And I can easily become rich in Skyrim within 1 hour of playing the game. It's called Blacksmithing/Enchanting/Alchemy.

What made items 'Legendary' in Morrowind was the fact that vendors CAN'T afford your super rare loot...plus they were so powerful and hard to obtain that you'd be a fool to sell them. They were 'priceless.' Players can't realistically expect to get full sale value for something so incredibly powerful and rare. It kills the 'awe' factor of what an artifact is by making artifacts vendor trash.

Morrowind: Hard to obtain artifacts, unlimited 'worth' in the sense that vendoring them is stupid and you really shouldn't be vendoring them because they are artifacts. If your first goal after acquiring an artifact is to vendor it...well you've missed the point of an RPG.

Oblivion : Level scaling. 'nuff said. Finding glass and daedric gear on bandits was stupid as hell. Despite the atrocity that level scaling was, gold was probably the most balanced out of the 3 games until you got past level 40. 'Rarity' was something that did not exist in Oblivion. No extreme loopholes or oddly priced artifacts.

Skyrim: Steel dagger that's been sharpened to deal 5000000+ dmg is worth...well, every vendor in the game's gold x100. artifacts vendor for like what, 1000 gold? I vendored like 90% of the artifacts I found in that game on my first playthrough. In Morrowind I hung the artifacts up like trophies because they were fucking impossible to get.

If you don't see what I mean, refer to 26:53 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0

That video explains pretty much every gripe I have with Bethesda and how the series has evolved. Don't get me wrong, I love the entire TES series, it's just...shit is getting dumber each game. If you've got 30 minutes to listen to this, just play the video in the background and listen to the guy. He's nailed it.

Anyways, back to the topic...

Now, let's just hope that they don't completely fuck up their MMO. If it's anything like Vanilla WoW and caters to a hardcore playerbase, count me in. If Jimmy 'plays-two-hours-a-week' can keep up with me sinking 20 hours a week, well, I'm gonna have to pass on this one. I played WoW from Vanilla Beta and watched the game just go downhill after WoTLK. I love the hell out of MMOs, the competitiveness is what keeps me hooked. Knowing that I can one shot a player because I spent weeks assembling raid groups and grinding out factions is what makes an MMORPG a truly fantastic thing. A 'level' playing field just turns the game into a MOBA disguised as an MMORPG.

Edit: I know they are doing level scaling for those massive PvP battles so everyone is on the same level, but I'll put $$ down betting that the scaled players won't get equal gear to someone who has high-tier endgame gear.

Last edited:

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
You're right about Morrowind and Oblivion, but I really don't think Skyrim took much grinding to get rich.

Don't you find it kind of fucked up that you can find a supposed 'Legendary Artifact' and a vendor will only offer you 1000 gold for it in Skyrim? And I can easily become rich in Skyrim within 1 hour of playing the game. It's called Blacksmithing/Enchanting/Alchemy.

What made items 'Legendary' in Morrowind was the fact that vendors CAN'T afford your super rare loot...plus they were so powerful and hard to obtain that you'd be a fool to sell them. They were 'priceless.' Players can't realistically expect to get full sale value for something so incredibly powerful and rare. It kills the 'awe' factor of what an artifact is by making artifacts vendor trash.

Morrowind: Hard to obtain artifacts, unlimited 'worth' in the sense that vendoring them is stupid and you really shouldn't be vendoring them because they are artifacts. If your first goal after acquiring an artifact is to vendor it...well you've missed the point of an RPG.

Oblivion : Level scaling. 'nuff said. Finding glass and daedric gear on bandits was stupid as hell. Despite the atrocity that level scaling was, gold was probably the most balanced out of the 3 games until you got past level 40. 'Rarity' was something that did not exist in Oblivion. No extreme loopholes or oddly priced artifacts.

Skyrim: Steel dagger that's been sharpened to deal 5000000+ dmg is worth...well, every vendor in the game's gold x100. artifacts vendor for like what, 1000 gold? I vendored like 90% of the artifacts I found in that game on my first playthrough. In Morrowind I hung the artifacts up like trophies because they were fucking impossible to get.

If you don't see what I mean, refer to 26:53 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0

That video explains pretty much every gripe I have with Bethesda and how the series has evolved. Don't get me wrong, I love the entire TES series, it's just...shit is getting dumber each game. If you've got 30 minutes to listen to this, just play the video in the background and listen to the guy. He's nailed it.

Anyways, back to the topic...

Now, let's just hope that they don't completely fuck up their MMO. If it's anything like Vanilla WoW and caters to a hardcore playerbase, count me in. If Jimmy 'plays-two-hours-a-week' can keep up with me sinking 20 hours a week, well, I'm gonna have to pass on this one. I played WoW from Vanilla Beta and watched the game just go downhill after WoTLK. I love the hell out of MMOs, the competitiveness is what keeps me hooked. Knowing that I can one shot a player because I spent weeks assembling raid groups and grinding out factions is what makes an MMORPG a truly fantastic thing. A 'level' playing field just turns the game into a MOBA disguised as an MMORPG.

Edit: I know they are doing level scaling for those massive PvP battles so everyone is on the same level, but I'll put $$ down betting that the scaled players won't get equal gear to someone who has high-tier endgame gear.
The problem here is that you've exaggerated quite a bit. Using a fully patched version of the game, it's going to be a long time before you max out those three. While I agree with you about the "legendary items" value, it would be an easy-out to getting gold, since 90% of such artifacts are weak compared to what you can create.
Also, sharpening a dagger to ~50k damage is going to eat up a lot of time, in-game, to achieve. Arguably, the way you go about praising Morrowind contradicts with your complaints about Skyrim. Adventuring and exploring for artifacts is completely counter-productive to the methods you've listed above.
This, again, is with a fully patched version of the game. And I kept most of the "cool" artifacts and displayed them in my home (when I could afford a better house than breezehome).
While I agree that this is going to be very closely scrutinized, I believe it to be because fans of the TES series are holding it to a higher standard than other MMOs. I, too, played Vanilla WoW up until just before Cataclysm, when it started becoming a completely different game.

Also, Bethesda is only publishing ESO, Zenimax is the developer. So there's a chance that many things will change drasticly.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
The problem here is that you've exaggerated quite a bit. Using a fully patched version of the game, it's going to be a long time before you max out those three. While I agree with you about the "legendary items" value, it would be an easy-out to getting gold, since 90% of such artifacts are weak compared to what you can create.
Also, sharpening a dagger to ~50k damage is going to eat up a lot of time, in-game, to achieve. Arguably, the way you go about praising Morrowind contradicts with your complaints about Skyrim. Adventuring and exploring for artifacts is completely counter-productive to the methods you've listed above.
This, again, is with a fully patched version of the game. And I kept most of the "cool" artifacts and displayed them in my home (when I could afford a better house than breezehome).
While I agree that this is going to be very closely scrutinized, I believe it to be because fans of the TES series are holding it to a higher standard than other MMOs. I, too, played Vanilla WoW up until just before Cataclysm, when it started becoming a completely different game.

Also, Bethesda is only publishing ESO, Zenimax is the developer. So there's a chance that many things will change drasticly.

1. Agreed, the fact that I can craft something stronger than an artifact is a bit disappointing. Artifacts being an 'easy-out' to acquire gold..well, you have a valid point, but you must also realize it's also just a single-player game. There is no global economy to worry about. If you want to sell your 100k gold artifact to a vendor (in Morrowind) to get a quick 10k gold, then by all means go for it. It's the fact that you can't do that anymore; it really ruins the sentimental value of an artifact. I will always think twice before vendoring an artifact in Morrowind unless I really am desperate for quick gold. Skyrim, on the other hand... most artifacts get vendored ASAP without second thought because they suck and take up inventory space. What's sad is that a couple dungeon clears will net you more gold than selling an artifact in Skyrim as well :scratch:

2. The dagger damage was a bit exaggerated :cool: but you can crank the damage up pretty damn high, very easily (and early in the game too if you choose to do so). I'm also not trying to argue what method is 'most effective' to play the game; it's a single player fantasy RPG, not an MMO. If you want to set out looking for artifacts, go for it. If your goal is to be rich, then do it. There is no such thing as being counter-productive in a TES game because you play how you want to play.

3. I haven't touched Skyrim since Dawnguard came out, so my mistake as I may be less informed than someone who has recently played. The Smithing/Enchanting/Alch loop may have been patched/tweaked, but the point remains: If you know what materials to get and where to get them, you can make a shitload of gold within your first few hours of playing without any exploits.

In regards to the MMO; I feel the same. It's going to be held to a standard by fans, and be either criticized or praised the moment beta invites start going out. I'm just hoping it follows in the vein of Vanilla WoW; more time invested = more rewards, with no 'limits' or caps on how much you can accomplish in a week :noplease:. If I want to sink 40 hours in 3 days acquiring X items and loot, running Y Dungeon 50 times, then so be it. Having a game say "that's enough, you can't do anymore because you'll pass everyone up" is absolutely horrendous. #1 reason why I quit WoW.

pink freud

Reaction score
I'd like to point out that one could ALWAYS get 110% the worth of any item in Morrowind. It just required a lot of trading over a long period of game-days with that imp in the inn. You had to trade 1 expensive item for a lot of items under 5000 gold, and then sell the items back.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
If anybody can make a new MMO that feels like a huge, fresh experience, it's Bethesda. Here's to hoping I get in! :D

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
When was the last time they made a game that felt "fresh" ? :lol:

I just feel like their experience with other games could transfer well into an MMO is all. An MMO that plays much like an Elder Scrolls game could be really awesome, and their games have this huge expansive feel as it is already.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Bethesda hasn't really done anything too exciting or revolutionary so I'm not really going to hold my breath. Plus, they have a hard time releasing a single player game that is stable. If they don't have a really solid launch, and a great end-game to keep players going. I don't think it is going to be as lucrative as bethesda hopes. They should stick to raping people with dlc prices :p

You guys should try Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. The combat is pretty reminiscent of what you experience in Skyrim. It's one of the funnest multiplayer games I have played recently! :)

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Bethesda hasn't really done anything too exciting or revolutionary so I'm not really going to hold my breath. Plus, they have a hard time releasing a single player game that is stable. If they don't have a really solid launch, and a great end-game to keep players going. I don't think it is going to be as lucrative as bethesda hopes. They should stick to raping people with dlc prices :p

You guys should try Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. The combat is pretty reminiscent of what you experience in Skyrim. It's one of the funnest multiplayer games I have played recently! :)

It's not that it'd be revolutionary in general, but it could be great in an MMO format. I hear you though on the stability problems they always seem to have, and endgame is super important for anybody who cares at all about PVE.

Eh the combat in Chivalry is kind of like Pirates, Vikings, and Knights also..not sure you could really compare it to an MMO anyway.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score

It's a good thing Zenimax is developing it, then.

People keep comparing ESO to Skyrim, almost as though it's going to be some sort of Skyrim with an MMO mod and a different timeline. It's going to be a vastly different experience, with a lot of new people working on it. I don't recall any Fallout games being unstable at release, and didn't really have many problems with Skyrim, either.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
It's a good thing Zenimax is developing it, then.

People keep comparing ESO to Skyrim, almost as though it's going to be some sort of Skyrim with an MMO mod and a different timeline. It's going to be a vastly different experience, with a lot of new people working on it. I don't recall any Fallout games being unstable at release, and didn't really have many problems with Skyrim, either.

Good to know. Bethesda makes great engines. I really loved Fallout New Vegas compared to Fallout 3.

This could actually have some potential now :D

Fallout 3 used the oblivion engine. Did you try playing unpatched oblivion? :lol: I couldnt even get out of the starting area on the xbox 360 because the floors were missing!

Latest posts

')