Eleven Rack or GSP1101?

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Been researching both and dig both of em for tones. Sold a guitar and been wanting a different recording solution besides the iPad and JamUp. I really dig on 5150 tones a lot, and I've heard the 1101 has a great 5150 sim. I've also heard some sick tones out of the 11Rack lately from guys here that have them. Chime in users?

Has anyone owned both and switched to one or the other and why? One of these is getting bought soon. Mostly for 7 string metal stuff...I've got a blues/rock patch on JamUp that slays with my LP and PAF replica pups, so that's not going anywhere.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Your first clip with that 11R was what made me consider it in the first place man. Hard to dial in a decent sound or no? I have zero patience with stuff like that...it's why I dumped the PODHD500...if it's a mess to use it'll just sit here.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score

Bovar

Reaction score
Funny to see this thread. Last night I jammed 2 hours with my Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7 and GSP1101, using the 5150 amp sim with an external IR loaded into the DigiTech (c63 firmware), direct to monitors. I thought it sounded amazing.

JmCastor

Reaction score
Great tones to be had with the 11R, although i am nowhere near as versed in mixing.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/justin-castor/midnight-shred[/SC]
- the solo in this one

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/justin-castor/trialbycombat[/SC]
-the djenty style riff in the middle

really the best examples i've done so far, but i don't come anywhere close to doing it justice. I can tell you the database for presets(user made) is huge, and there are tons of tones that just need to be tweaked for your preference

WarMachine

Reaction score
Can't say anything about the 11R, but the GSP1101 is the best preamp i've played on when it comes to modeling. I own a 5150 and i have the 5150 patch (with the C63 firmware) and it sounds damn near identical. The only difference you would hear would be a side by side recording. In the room sound, feel, everything when done right sounds just like the real thing. Effects are killer, easy to use and dial in. I plan on having mine for a LONG time :agreed:

WarMachine

Reaction score
Funny to see this thread. Last night I jammed 2 hours with my Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7 and GSP1101, using the 5150 amp sim with an external IR loaded into the DigiTech (c63 firmware), direct to monitors. I thought it sounded amazing.
That it does! Honestly i think the gain needs cranked on the gsp whereas the 5150 should go between 4-6.5. At least that's the theory haha. The GSP is basically like a cleaner, tighter version of a 5150, there's some light tweaking to make it have that more raw, open saturation and it'll be golden. if you guys need the patch, let me know and i'll upload it here later tonight or tomorrow for ya:hbang:

JohnnyP

Reaction score
My current rig is a Parker 7 string running piezo's in to a Digitech 2120 and the Mags in to the 11R. There is pretty much nothing I can't do. My only complaint about the 11R is a less than stellar Wah and no Pitch effects. Complaint about the 1101/2120 is the lack of mega gain. My honest rec is to get an 11R and then plug stomp boxes in the loop/in front for the needs it doesn't give you. Though the 11R is kind of limited it gives you everything you need and what it does give you is second to none. I could part with my 2120 if your interested

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I too am a 11R user. Recently purchased and love it as a recording interface. No latency and tons of sound options. However, my first one was faulty and had a bad USB port. Static central. Sweetwater sent me a different one and I've been happy ever since. I have yet to really tweak the sounds and start downloading other presets that have been made as the SW version comes preloaded with 100 premade presets from Artists such as Jim Root, Gary Hoey, and many others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering if this stuff is such a giant leap from my iPad stuff like JamUp and BIAS and Ampkit...if it's a huge jump in tones/feel then right on, but I've read reviews where guys compared em to the GSP and 11R and got pretty much spot on reproductions...you figure for the $ you'd be into a massive upgrade, but that's not what I'm reading.

Any thoughts? I'm getting pretty decent tones with the iPad; more of a limitations with GarageBand type of a thing that has me wanting to go back to Reaper, re-amping the 11R, etc...

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Now I'm wondering if this stuff is such a giant leap from my iPad stuff like JamUp and BIAS and Ampkit...if it's a huge jump in tones/feel then right on, but I've read reviews where guys compared em to the GSP and 11R and got pretty much spot on reproductions...you figure for the $ you'd be into a massive upgrade, but that's not what I'm reading.

Any thoughts? I'm getting pretty decent tones with the iPad; more of a limitations with GarageBand type of a thing that has me wanting to go back to Reaper, re-amping the 11R, etc...

The tones you get out of an 11R or GSP might be the same or possibly even not quite as good, it's just that sometimes people want something new to play with.

Honestly, I'd say that getting a rack processor & hooking a couple of monitors up to it would be a lot less hassle and easier to use than the iPad setup.

I think the biggest differences between the 11R & the GSP is that the GSP has more metal amp sims and more drive pedals. Where I think the 11R does mid-gain/Marshall type sounds a bit better.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
The tones you get out of an 11R or GSP might be the same or possibly even not quite as good, it's just that sometimes people want something new to play with.

Honestly, I'd say that getting a rack processor & hooking a couple of monitors up to it would be a lot less hassle and easier to use than the iPad setup.

I think the biggest differences between the 11R & the GSP is that the GSP has more metal amp sims and more drive pedals. Where I think the 11R does mid-gain/Marshall type sounds a bit better.

Although there is a guy on the avid forums "Benoni Studio" who is putting out downloadable patches? for the 11R with all kinds of high gain stuff.

JohnnyP

Reaction score
I feel that the 11R with the expansion pack makes plenty of High Gain tones. Ive had a Engl Powerball for a little bit and ditched the tubes for the rack processors. Tubes sound great but you can't beat them up and they can fail. Ive never had a problem with my 11R. All that being said I would trade/sell everything for an Axe-Fx. I keep flip flopping between the 11R and the AxeFx. What I really like about the 11r is running a chord in the front jack you get a system that plays like a REAL tube amp. It really does respond to pick position, up stroke, down stroke, finger style, so on. I also like that the 11R is VERY easy to quickly mod the tone just like a real amp. Big knobs on the front not tiny push button and scrolling through screens. The Axe on the other hand has every sound and then some. I feel that with the AxeFx there is no reason to have midi/wacky pedals/ For me I like the "quick edits" that you get with actual stomp boxes and amps. The 11R fits this bill well and to my ear it is the best "modeler" that responds to pedals (compared to Pod ProX and Axefx1)

JohnnyP

Reaction score
The 11r sims of the Bonger Red, Mesa dual rec., Soldano, have plenty of gain. Plus you get Protools for very cheap. For me ProTools is the DAW though recently the new Presonus is also quite nice.

For some time I had a PreSonus Channel Strip in the Loop of the 11R and it gave me analog 2 12ax7 tubes, Comp, and Par e.q. this gave me SO much more flexibility of sounds in the 11R

Schaug

Reaction score
You won't get that natural tube tone and response out of any modeller
apart from kemper/axe. Trust me. And btw, 11r is great for metal, just check out
Singtall patches, they are brutal. Great tones from death metal to modern prog... even the dj word subgenre lol.

The only con that i could find on the 11r is the chorus which is simply oversaturated and overtaking no matter how you set it up, especially in a live mix. There is a workaround on this one but is too long to execute or I am just too lazy.

Latest posts

')