Eleven Rack or GSP1101?

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Lot of votes for both. Guess I'll keep researching. I've heard a lot of great tones from both of them and the prices are pretty comparable used. Hard decision here.

Appreciate all the input guys. This forum is badass because it's so damn huge and you guys have had everything I haven't. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
You won't get that natural tube tone and response out of any modeller
apart from kemper/axe. Trust me. And btw, 11r is great for metal, just check out
Singtall patches, they are brutal. Great tones from death metal to modern prog... even the dj word subgenre lol.

The only con that i could find on the 11r is the chorus which is simply oversaturated and overtaking no matter how you set it up, especially in a live mix. There is a workaround on this one but is too long to execute or I am just too lazy.
Not entirely true. With the GSP i get all the same response and tone that i get from my 5150. I think with that preamp honestly, the built in noise gate can really effect the tone. I played with it some last night (shit dont sound right does it? :lol:) and shutting off the noise gate really opens it up and also lets it react just like the real deal; breakup at low guitar volumes and roaring kick you ass tones when cranked :hbang:

WarMachine

Reaction score
Lot of votes for both. Guess I'll keep researching. I've heard a lot of great tones from both of them and the prices are pretty comparable used. Hard decision here.

Appreciate all the input guys. This forum is badass because it's so damn huge and you guys have had everything I haven't. Thanks.
If you can dude, hold off for the weekend and if'd like i'll make a comparison jam between the 5150 and the GSP to show you how it stacks up :wavey:

JohnnyP

Reaction score
Having a Legacy 3 head. I can get the 11R to respond the same ways, No so much as the AxeFx1 (I have had the newer Axefx) I think the best way these days is todo what guys like Vai and Petrucci do. Having a tube preamp that feeds you Fx unit whatever that is. For me I do this with preamp of the Legacy 3 into the 11r and the GSP for the piezo's. Then feeding back to the Legacy's power amp. If could I would sell most of my rig and just use two channel strips/tube compressors that feed and Axefx2 and be done with it. Though that would require winning the lottery...

There is something to be said about the ease of editing though, as it comes down to either spending hours using a editor/scrolling through screens or bending over to turn a little knob on the box. Your choice, Complete control with less time playing OR more time playing and less time fuzing to get the "perfect" tone.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Oh, I can hold off...I think. That'd be sick man, thank you!
No problem dude, i was wanting to do a comparison jam anyways lol, gives me a good excuse to escape to the man cave if i tell my wife im doing it to help someone out......:lol::lol::lol:

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Although there is a guy on the avid forums "Benoni Studio" who is putting out downloadable patches? for the 11R with all kinds of high gain stuff.

What I should have said was that the GSP has more "high-gain" amps than the 11R does.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
You won't get that natural tube tone and response out of any modeller
apart from kemper/axe. Trust me. And btw, 11r is great for metal, just check out
Singtall patches, they are brutal. Great tones from death metal to modern prog... even the dj word subgenre lol.

The only con that i could find on the 11r is the chorus which is simply oversaturated and overtaking no matter how you set it up, especially in a live mix. There is a workaround on this one but is too long to execute or I am just too lazy.

DO you mean the 1101? Cause Singtall did patches for that. If thats the case you are correct about the chorus, or at lest the Univibe. I love that effect, I have 2 clean patches per bank because of it. But I have to run a pre eq to take a TON of bass out and a compressor as well cause the thing works like a fuzz on my clean channel.

JohnnyP

Reaction score
The 11R handles my Warwick quite well. ThoughI do second the Pod Pro X/HD/x3 options my Digitech 1101/2120 were not the best for the low end stuff (8 strings sound quite bad through them)

WarMachine

Reaction score
Hey mane, sorry i didnt get these to you over the weekend, got busy as shit......as usual! With that i didn't have the time to take both songs and blend them together to give you the true A/B comparison, but i did record the song twice, one with the peavey and one with the gsp/v300.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsgupkn7h9qszxe/Mechanical Sideshow 5150.mp3

GSP1101+V300
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tobejgo7hyr6tgc/Mechanical Sideshow V300-1101.mp3

This jam is just done with the GSP1101+V300
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cjgesmi0eygk47/Never Back Down - GSP1101.mp3

Hope you dig the tracks and i hope it helps you in deciding if you want one of these beasts! All effects were GSP1101, all recorded with Reaper, no mastering effects, just a hair of compression on the strings. :shred:

mogar

Reaction score
I've had my 1101 for ever a year now, and that's how long it's been since I've fired up my 5150. So versatile and very easy to dial in tones. Would like to add an 11r sometime as well, so here's what I propose. Why not get both? They are both available cheaply used. I got my 1101 for only $380 used and it came with the control2 and a 2-space rack case. As far as eleven racks, I've seen them used for $300 and up on the guitar center site.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I've had my 1101 for ever a year now, and that's how long it's been since I've fired up my 5150. So versatile and very easy to dial in tones. Would like to add an 11r sometime as well, so here's what I propose. Why not get both? They are both available cheaply used. I got my 1101 for only $380 used and it came with the control2 and a 2-space rack case. As far as eleven racks, I've seen them used for $300 and up on the guitar center site.

What I do with my Pod X3 is run it into the loop of the 1101 as "external pre-amp" and use the GSP for suatom cabs. Works like a charm, I must say.

Maestro727

Reaction score
11R user here... Great unit. I don't regret getting it at all. Some of the things people say here are true... The 11R has limitations. For instance, no pitch effects, no looper and no dual amp sim. Wish it had those. Another thing to consider is that the support for the 11R sucks. Avid basically tossed this into a ditch. I was surprised they released a standalone editor and hopefully, they release a new update or expansion.

I've heard great things on the GSP. Sadly, I have not played one but I am unimpressed with other Digitech products.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Hey mane, sorry i didnt get these to you over the weekend, got busy as shit......as usual! With that i didn't have the time to take both songs and blend them together to give you the true A/B comparison, but i did record the song twice, one with the peavey and one with the gsp/v300.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsgupkn7h9qszxe/Mechanical Sideshow 5150.mp3

GSP1101+V300
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tobejgo7hyr6tgc/Mechanical Sideshow V300-1101.mp3

This jam is just done with the GSP1101+V300
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cjgesmi0eygk47/Never Back Down - GSP1101.mp3

Hope you dig the tracks and i hope it helps you in deciding if you want one of these beasts! All effects were GSP1101, all recorded with Reaper, no mastering effects, just a hair of compression on the strings. :shred:

Did dig the tracks....interestingly enough, even though I'm an unabashed Peavey fanboy I liked the GSP tone better. Thanks for going up an over on this dude....much appreciated!

WarMachine

Reaction score
Thanks dude and no problem :yesway: we is all friends here :wavey: Actually the more i play on the GSP the better i like it as well lol. Its a tighter tone overall. Really the only thing that effects the tone is the Definition knob on the V300 (basically a presence knob). The reactance (which acts like a resonance) i have on about 2-3 o'clock ish. Too much on that 5150 preset and it just turns to speaker farts :lol:

Latest posts

')