Eleven Rack Thread

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Asking other fellow 11R owners, I have a weird problem with Windows drivers.
I installed the 1.0.11 driver from Avid first and it was limited to 16bits/44.1KHz in WASAPI (think DirectSound under Win 7 for the record) as well as ASIO, pretty worthless :(
I then found a generic driver by Digidesign (v8.0.1 or something) for their whole range of products and now get full ASIO support (up to 24bits/96KHz) but still crap for WASAPI (still stuck @ 16bits/44.1KHz).
Any of you has any experience getting full support under WASAPI? Is that weird that an older driver provide more than the last one?
It looks like Avid aren't too great at supporting their products, their website is a mess...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
So since i got hooked up on the 11r and thinking of getting one, here are several questions from you, dear owners.. btw, i'm a total noob on this one, so don't me ubermad.

1) So are there atleast 2 hi gain amps that sound good?
2) Does the expansion pack save in the 11r itself or it's a PC software?
3) Does it sound as good without the expansion pack or is it a 'mandatory' to get one?
4) How many bass amps are in there and the quality of tone?

And if they will make a new 11r model, hopefully they wont do the same thing like the axe fx, making the older purchases mostly useless, with 0 updates etc.

1) Yes, plus hundreds made by users that are freely shared on the internet.:yesway:
2) Saves to Eleven Rack.
3) It's not mandatory but I guarantee you'll want it. :)
4) There are 2 bass amps and 2 bass cabs and I recently read a thread where most of the posters experienced better results recording bass through the Eleven Rack than recording guitar. Even they were exaggerating it seems the bass modeling isn't half bad.
5) Nobody really knows whats going on with Avid right now. First, I will be VERY surprised if they release another Eleven Rack model any time soon so you probably don't have to worry about that. However, it is an audio interface so, like all things digital, it will eventually become obsolete, but that day is a long ways off.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
Semi-necro post? sorry guys :(
I am planning to buy an 11R to start recording some stuff in the computer, and I was wondering: If i pick one up from retail right now, does it come with the exp. pack loaded there already, or will I have to buy it separately?

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
I just recently got one from Sweetwater. If you're going to buy one new you won't beat their price and it does come with the expansion already loaded. They also have a bunch of exclusive artist presets you won't get from anyone else. Also, you'll be able to get a free upgrade to Pro Tools 11 as soon as it's out. Pretty solid deal. Check their website and do some comparison shopping.

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
Do you need pro tools to down load patches?:scratch:

Yup! You can download them all you like but you have to open the rig editor thing in Protools to open patches and save them to the 11R.

Unless someone's made a work around or something..

Semi-necro post? sorry guys :(
I am planning to buy an 11R to start recording some stuff in the computer, and I was wondering: If i pick one up from retail right now, does it come with the exp. pack loaded there already, or will I have to buy it separately?

I don't think it comes with the expansion, and if it does it should be clearly listed in the item description. You can buy them used with the expansion though. There's a form you can get from the Avid website that will let you transfer ownership of both the unit and Protools. That's how I got mine! :hbang:

Meddl

Reaction score
as far as i know (and this is the situation with german reseller thomann, among others..) the new 11r units do come with the expansion pack (plus the actual pro tools version)

;)

DoubleAA

Reaction score
I picked up the 11r a couple months ago. New versions do come with expansion pack, and with pro tools 11 (I got PT10, because 11 wasn't out yet).

There is an editor available called Eleven Hack that allows you to load presets without Pro Tools, but I haven't tried it.

I got a price match from zzounds.com, so I saved a little bit more over the going price. Splitting it up into 4 payments with no interest is kind of nice, too. You can find some good deals if you dig around online.

Pinhead

Reaction score
So this is pretty important for everyone that has an eleven rack! Avid came out with a standalone editor a few months ago and I see that no one else has said anything about it. You can download it here. No, you don't need an ilok password or anything like that even though it does come with an ilok download. I just deleted it off my desktop and haven't had any problems. Anyway, this means we can edit all the tones on our computers without having to open pro tools which is very convenient.

Get the free standalone Eleven Rack Editor

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
The guitars sound good on that video...I tend to give the player the credit there, but can't help but think how it would have sounded through a high end tube rig mic'ed properly. Doesn't matter, the tune rocked :shred:

ZASVTO

Reaction score
Thanks a lot man, I actually have the JMD50 and the MESA 4x12 cab that you see behind me in the video, but i chose to use the eleven rack, I think if I didn't say it most people would never know I didn't go through an amp.

dbyrne23

Reaction score
Is there different versions of the eleven rack? My local store has them for like 800 meanwhile on ebay people have them new for 360? Or is it the simple fact it does not come with pro tools?

edit: nevermind I read more into it and the sheer importance of the software etc

cjsiderio

Reaction score
Im dying for an eleven rack big time
email me at cjsiderionj@gmail.com and if your interested in a trade let me know .
Im located in North Arlington NJ
and have paypal , same as my email listed
Like I said my blackstar in brand new and Its so brutal but I want the eleven rack!!!
:hbang::hbang::hbang:

Oklep

Reaction score
Hello guys
I tempting to buy 11R, brand new (without pro tools).
My question is, do the new eleven racks comes with already preinstalled new firmware (expansion pack), or there should be some activation card in the box, or after registering on avid site I will be able to download new firmware? I heard that new ones comes with expansion pack, but I dont know in which form.

Thanks so much

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Put one on layaway today after plugging it in to a QSC K8, which is what I have at home. I've never really gotten along with amp modeling, but at first blush, I was pretty impressed with how it sounds. My current rig, based around a GT100, comes closer than anything else I'd tried previously to replicating the tone and feel of my Soldano preamp, but the 11R might take the cake. I need to take my current rig in to test it against the 11R, since I have 28 more days before I can take it home.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I took my current rig into GC today, and the 11R absolutely humiliated my current rig when running direct, but I still need to see how it fares against my rig properly amplified.

I'd like some feedback from current and past 11R owners on the latency when switching patches. Do you find it usable in a live situation? Does it react more quickly to MIDI messages than turning the knob to change presets? Is there anything one can do to lower the latency? This is probably the biggest potential dealbreaker for me. I may take my GT100 back to the store tomorrow to try out some MIDI switching and see if I can live with it.

The most annoying thing about this is that this one has the expanded amps and effects, and the firmware updates all state that you lose those if you update the firmware. So even if there is a fix for this issue, I'd have to decide whether or not it would be worth updating at the cost of the extra features.

IVIaverick52

Reaction score
I took my current rig into GC today, and the 11R absolutely humiliated my current rig when running direct, but I still need to see how it fares against my rig properly amplified.

I'd like some feedback from current and past 11R owners on the latency when switching patches. Do you find it usable in a live situation? Does it react more quickly to MIDI messages than turning the knob to change presets? Is there anything one can do to lower the latency? This is probably the biggest potential dealbreaker for me. I may take my GT100 back to the store tomorrow to try out some MIDI switching and see if I can live with it.

The most annoying thing about this is that this one has the expanded amps and effects, and the firmware updates all state that you lose those if you update the firmware. So even if there is a fix for this issue, I'd have to decide whether or not it would be worth updating at the cost of the extra features.

I've only used mine for recording purposes to date, but I hear that with a midi controller the patch switching is almost instant, Might want to test that out just to be sure though. And as far as updates are concerned, there are only 2 big patches that I am aware of. The first is the expansion pack, the second is a patch on top of that that fixes a timing issue with one of the vibrato effects. I never use vibrato so I didn't bother downloading the newest patch.

I'd say it's definitely worth buying a new version and dishing out a few hundred extra. I bought one of the first models and paid extra for the expansion pack, and I don't regret paying more at the time at all, these things sound great. However, the new models come with a full version of pro tools 11, no more LE, which is huge. Also for those who didn't know they have a standalone editor now, pro tools isn't required.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I answered my own question today. The switching isn't instant, but it's within tolerances. I remember the Pod HD having more lag, which is one of the reasons I didn't buy one.
I'd say it's definitely worth buying a new version and dishing out a few hundred extra. I bought one of the first models and paid extra for the expansion pack, and I don't regret paying more at the time at all, these things sound great. However, the new models come with a full version of pro tools 11, no more LE, which is huge. Also for those who didn't know they have a standalone editor now, pro tools isn't required.

I don't want to use Pro Tools, so I'm not worried about whether or not it comes with the software. Mine is Avid branded, so it's at least somewhat recent.

')